New Lens for Nikon D5200

DyGr00339

So, I'm in a little of a dilemma. I use my camera quite often at school for Video Production, Yearbook, ect. Is there a good versatile lens for me? I have the stock 18-55 already So I was thinking the NIKKOR 10mm F2.8. Thoughts?

So, I'm in a little of a dilemma. I use my camera quite often at school for Video Production, Yearbook, ect. Is there a good versatile lens for me? I have the stock 18-55 already So I was thinking the NIKKOR 10mm F2.8. Thoughts?

for video that is okay but for photography unless landscape that is way to wide use more like 28mm since you have a crop sensor so it is really a 40mm lens

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

fro vieo ea that is okay but for photography unless landscape that is wa to wide use more like 28mm since you have a crop sensor so it is really a 40mm lens

Well I would likely use the 18-55 for portraits, it's more for assembly, groups, etc that I need a wider. But would it be a very sharp lens for video? (this is what I get currently for interview ect on 18-55)

Well I would likely use the 18-55 for portraits, it's more for assembly, groups, etc that I need a wider. But would it be a very sharp lens for video? (this is what I get currently for interview ect on 18-55)

i would buy  a 10mm macro for some of those close shots along with a nice boom mic

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

i would buy  a 10mm macro for some of those close shots along with a nice boom mic

Yeah, I am planning on getting a røde mic to go with my purchase

Personally unless you need something wide, or telephoto

Grab a fast prime like the 35mm f1.8

But it really depends what you are going for.. do you want a wide angle? fast bright lens with nice depth of field? do you need more reach? macro? or a general purpose like 18-200 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Keep in mind the distortion that comes with such wide angle lenses:

6298558_55724_full.jpg

I would recommend trying to find a zoom lens with a fixed aperture if you're doing a lot of video.

Or, like @ShadowCaptain said, get a fast 35mm or 50mm lens. Or heck, even look into the 85mm and see if it's for you.