How can I tell the Plex Media Server that I wanted to include every subfolder?

cab11150904

I'm loving my Plex setup but for some reason it will not include the subfolders of the directories that I tell it to scan. How can I have it include those subfolders and also is there a way to have it automatically update the library on my iPad and Android phones? It seemed like I had to have it manually update on the desktop and then it pushed out to my iPad.

Settings > Server > Library > then enable "Update my library automatically"

This will refresh your library whenever a new file is added to a directory. So no need for any manual refreshes.

In terms of the subfolders not showing up, it's probably just poor naming conventions confusing the scanner. I've never had any issues while following these folder structures:

/Movies/Movie Name (year)/Movie.name.year.mkv

Example:

/Movies/Avatar (2009)/Avatar.2009.BluRay.1080p.DTSHD-MA.h264.Remux.mkv

/TV Shows/Show Name/Show Name - Show Season/Show.Name.s01.e01.mkv

Example:

/TV shows/Game of Thrones/Game of Thrones - Season 1/Game.of.Thrones.s01.e01.Bluray.1080p.DTS.h264.Remux.mkv

Keeping your directories clean will give the scanner a much much easier job. So avoid random names, and random files. All it is literally doing is checking file and folder names against a database(s) it will then download the metadata for that file when it gets a match. If the names are wrong, it will yield no results.