LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl
1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

My board seems pretty subpar compared to your abit.

xfx_mystery_large.jpg

ew, i don't like green. reminds me of the early 2000s motherboards i used to mess with. but hey, it's got some nice features, like sli and a northbridge fan cooler. that's cool. and besides, you won't be seeing it.

3 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

I'm just using a washer setup with the stock cooler, it works fine and temps are under 50C.

50c on stock? wow, either my cooler is plugged with dust, or it just flat out sucks, because on 20 percent load, it runs at 44c. and on full load it reaches 55c. i think its time i fully clean it again.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ew, i don't like green. reminds me of the early 2000s motherboards i used to mess with. but hey, it's got some nice features, like sli and a northbridge fan cooler. that's cool. and besides, you won't be seeing it.

50c on stock? wow, either my cooler is plugged with dust, or it just flat out sucks, because on 20 percent load, it runs at 44c. and on full load it reaches 55c. i think its time i fully clean it again.

This is just what my current setup is, waiting for my q6600 to arrive.

20160817_204342.jpg

On 8/17/2016 at 8:40 PM, terrytek said:

Well i gotta get a new cooler if i want to run my Q6600 at 3.3GHZ, 50-60C idle with 1.49V....

12 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Well i gotta get a new cooler if i want to run my Q6600 at 3.3GHZ, 50-60C idle with 1.49V....

right now my cpu at full load idles at around 65c, but that's because my cooler is caked with dirt.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

right now my cpu at full load idles at around 65c, but that's because my cooler is caked with dirt.

pentium d stock cooler ftw /s

not a pretty setup

pRBqS0-lMG-S3aIvflirpI6u-a2yb-e9lEeyKznN

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

are there still some 775 guys around that happen to have experience with 790i Motherboards? I am having trouble getting a 450 MHz FSB stable on mine. Help would be appreciated.

Motherboard MSI P7N2

C2D E8200 VID 1.15

2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Team Group Elite RAM

Scythe Ninja 2 cooler

Enermax Modu82+ 425W PSU

BIOS Options and settings:

Spoiler

D.O.T. Control (1 - 15%) [disabled]

Intel EIST [disabled]

System Clock (Auto, Linked, Unlinked) [unlinked]

Adjust DRAM Frequency [underclocked to 1066 MHz]

Adjust CPU Ratio [6x]

DRAM Timing Mode (Auto / Manual) [stock  9-9-9-24-33-2T timings]

PCI-E Frequency (100-200 Mhz) [100MHz]

MCP PCI-E Frequency (100-200 Mhz) [100MHz]

CPU Voltage 0,0125 - 0,3875 [+0,0625V]

DRAM Voltage (V) 1.50 V - 2.40 V [1.50]

SB Voltage (V) 1.525 V - 2.000 V [1.525]

NB Voltage (V) 1.225 V - 1.600 V [1.35, anything below appeared to be instable]

PCI Expander PLL Voltage 2.551 V - 3.265 V [auto]

DIMM Memory Reference Voltage 0.485 V - 1.200 V [auto]

Memory Terminator Voltage 0.485 V - 1.200 V [auto]

Depending on FSB Terminator Voltage (VTT):

CPU GTL Reference Voltage  [0.65-0.666 and 0.668-0.688] (factor of VTT, i.e. 0.65 = 65% of VTT voltage)

NB GTL Reference Voltage  [0.591-0.611 and 0.668-0.691] (factor of VTT, i.e. 0.591 = 59,1% of VTT voltage)

FSB Terminator Voltage 1.056 V - 1.313 V [auto]  (Also known as VTT on some boards)

SB Sleep Mode Voltage 1.374 V - 1.660 V [auto]

Spread Spectrum (Enable / Disable) [disabled]

Excetute Bit Support [disabled]

HPET [disabled]

As you can see in the spoiler, I underclocked the RAM to 1066 while remaining at stock timings and set the CPU multiplier to 6x so I won't have to adress CPU voltage yet and can concentrate on getting the FSB stable.

For stability testing I am using Prime95 27.9 using Small for CPU Voltage and Large or Custom for checking the FSB (NB ect.).

So, where am I coming from?

Coming from 333MHz FSB, there was quiet a huge hole between around 350-400 MHz.

I managed to get 405 MHz stable with 6x and 8x Multiplier with Prime Small and Large (~6 hours) with:

CPU +0.0625V

NB Voltage 1.35V

SB Voltage 1.525V (lowest value I could set)

VTT 1.313 (Highest value I could set, didn't try how much I can turn it down and still stay stable yet.)

CPU Temps during load were around 55-60°C

SPP (NB) Temperature read with HWInfo64 68°C

The NB is quiet hot for my taste, but NVidia says they can go up to ~95°C before they shut off in some way.

Not sure how the temperature effects the OC stability though and since the heatsink is so close to the tower cooler, I won't be able to get some additional fan mounted there anytime soon.

Right now I am trying to get a FSB of 450 MHz stable.

Settings so far are:

CPU +0,0625 (tested with Prime Small, doesn't limit yet since it's still with 6x multi)

NB 1.35

SB 1.525

First I left VTT, CPU GTL and NB GTL on Auto, but with VTT on Auto I didn't manage to get to the Desktop anymore without the system not POSTing or simply freezing somewhere on the way.
So I increased the VTT beginning from the lowest value to make it to the desktop. That would be 1.214V.

After getting into Windows, I tested the FSB with Prime Large first, but it always produced errors  after some amount of time. So I tried what test causes these errors the fastest way so I wouldn't waste 30+ Minutes with Large runs before it fails. Turns out the 672k is quiet suited for that purpose.

Then I increased the VTT from 1.214V in small increments up to 1.313V but I couldn't get the system stable after all.

Somehow it gives me headaches since I can't figure out what exactly I am doing wrong. So I came here to see if I could get some help and have a few questions at hand:

1. How do I know what combination of NB Voltage and VTT is "right"?

I messed with it for hours now, setting the NB Voltage (1.35 i.e.) and increasing the VTT in ~0.05V increments. (It regulary has 0.01-0.02 increments.)
But so far, there hasn't been any value I could get stable trough Prime95 Large (672k) for more than 20 minutes without producing errors.
Even if I go for the "give em all you got" way and set the VTT straight to 1.313V for any NB Voltage (1.35/1.38/1.42/1.47/1.5) it won't last long. It appears that too much VTT leads to instability aswell in form of rounding errors, for 1.5V even freezes.

Then I tried to play around with the GTL Voltages for a few of the "better" VTT values (that went close to 20 minutes) but two things seem strange to me:

2.1. From what I read in OC guides, the CPU GTL should be between 61...68% for Wolfdale Dualcores, depending on where you look. Some say it should be equal to the NB GTL which should be at 67%. And then you can read that the NB GTL should be more important than the CPU GTL, but I couldn't find any specific values for it, apart from the 67%.

The point that gives me headaches are the values that I can set in my bios. As mentioned above, the NB goes from x0.591 to x0.611 (small increments of 0.0005) and from x0.668 to x0.691 (wide increments of 0.002). That would be sufficient for the ~x0.67 but what is the fine scaled area between .591 to .611 for?

The CPU GTL, on the other hand, goes from x0.65 to x0.666 and from x0.668 to x0.688. With the recommendation in mind, everything from 61% to <65% is simply out of range for me.

First I thought I mixed up CPU and NB GTL, but I am pretty sure it's this way and not the other way around.

2.2. Sometimes you read that most people only use the GTLs in order to reduce their CPU and NB Voltages by a notch or two, once they got their system stable. Sometimes you read that the GTLs can make the difference between not POSTing and a stable system.

In order to find the right GTLs, how should someone start?

My problem:
Since my VTT isn't stable without adjusting GTLs so far, I can only guess what VTT would be a proper base value for testing.
Then I picked one Prime95 Large FFT lenght that caused the fastest errors for me (672k) and let it run, while setting NB and CPU GTL both at once.
Since I have my CPU multiplier on the lowest setting (6x instead of 8x) and the CPU Voltage is sufficient (Prime Small without errors, freezes or BSODs), can I leave the CPU GTL on Auto and purely concentrate on the NB GTL? Or do the interfere with each other and both have to be on spot at the same time?

The second problem:
I read that you should start with one value x and note how long Prime takes to spill errors / freeze. Then you move in both directions from x (x+y and x-y) and see if the errors / freezes appear faster or slower. With that in mind you see in what direction you have to move and when you get to the right value.
I am not sure if they mean full Prime Large runs with this or not. But I tried it purely with 672k and thought that it would last longer once I get into the right direction.

The problem is, that it appears to be completely random how long this single test runs. If I use the same GTL voltages and let the same test run twice with the same settings, it can happen that it runs for 40 minutes before producing an error in the first run and in the second run it fails after 3 minutes. But if it's completely random within one test and let it run in Prime Large for some amount of time, how would I know if it failed at test #4 and not #3 because it got better and not because I simply got lucky?
In my current understanding, even there I couldn't say for sure if adjusting the GTL +y or -y was good or bad since it could be somewhat random aswell.

I am not sure wether or not there are still people around here that read this and are able to help. I hope there are. Help is appreciated, thank you very much.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ! Does anyone use a MSI P43-C51 Motherboard to overclock? Ive been messing around with the bios but i just cant seem to get my Q8200 Beyond 2.8GHZ . Also i cant figure out how to change the CPU ratio and how to underclock the ram :/ . If anyone has experience with this motherboard please tell me if its possible or not xD . In the mean time , ill just mess around i guess . Happy overclocking :D

5 hours ago, Gapehorn said:

Hi ! Does anyone use a MSI P43-C51 Motherboard to overclock? Ive been messing around with the bios but i just cant seem to get my Q8200 Beyond 2.8GHZ . Also i cant figure out how to change the CPU ratio and how to underclock the ram :/ . If anyone has experience with this motherboard please tell me if its possible or not xD . In the mean time , ill just mess around i guess . Happy overclocking :D

you cant change the cpu ratio on older cpu's you overclock using the fsb or base clock. try a program called setfsb to oc from within windows. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, i want to ask something that make me confused. It says best method to oc  lga 775 cpu is to make the fsb:dram 1:1. I have Asus p5g41t m-lx motherboard and it use ddr3 ram and i've overclocked my q9400 to 3.16GHz. I set the bus speed at 395 Mhz and the ram speed at auto settings. So my question is do i need to underclock the dram speed since i use ddr3 memory to get at least close to 1:1 fsb:dram? Because i can't get more than 395 mhz on the bus speed coz the motherboard chipset g41 limit. and the current clock speed of my ram is DDR3 1263mhz or 631.6mhz DRAM frequency.

Sorry if my english is bad. i hope you guys understand my question, thank you

41 minutes ago, Yudhahar said:

Hey guys, i want to ask something that make me confused. It says best method to oc  lga 775 cpu is to make the fsb:dram 1:1. I have Asus p5g41t m-lx motherboard and it use ddr3 ram and i've overclocked my q9400 to 3.16GHz. I set the bus speed at 395 Mhz and the ram speed at auto settings. So my question is do i need to underclock the dram speed since i use ddr3 memory to get at least close to 1:1 fsb:dram? Because i can't get more than 395 mhz on the bus speed coz the motherboard chipset g41 limit. and the current clock speed of my ram is DDR3 1263mhz or 631.6mhz DRAM frequency.

Sorry if my english is bad. i hope you guys understand my question, thank you

in this case you want to run the memory at the highest speed possible.  

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 hour ago, Jumper118 said:

in this case you want to run the memory at the highest speed possible.  

So that means i don't necessarily need to underclock my ram right?

thanks for the answer anyway

14 minutes ago, Yudhahar said:

So that means i don't necessarily need to underclock my ram right?

thanks for the answer anyway

yeah, you want your ram to be as high speed and low timings as possible for best performance. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

• 3 months later...

Please allow me to apologize in advance, I just don't know where else to turn at the moment. Everywhere else I've looked threads regarding 775's are outdated back to at least 09' and 10'.

You all, considering any of you happen to check this anymore, seem to be extremely smart regarding these things and I can't honestly say the same for myself.

Basically, I hope this is a simple question, however I can't get a straight up answer anywhere I've looked. What would you all say the best 5 chipsets are for the LGA775? 

I know this an extremely outdated piece. I just have a personal goal I'd like to accomplish before moving on to bigger and newer hardware. Again, I'm sorry in advance, but any and I truly mean any insight into my dilemma is appreciated more than you could imagine !

28 minutes ago, Smokemeowt said:

Please allow me to apologize in advance, I just don't know where else to turn at the moment. Everywhere else I've looked threads regarding 775's are outdated back to at least 09' and 10'.

You all, considering any of you happen to check this anymore, seem to be extremely smart regarding these things and I can't honestly say the same for myself.

Basically, I hope this is a simple question, however I can't get a straight up answer anywhere I've looked. What would you all say the best 5 chipsets are for the LGA775? 

I know this an extremely outdated piece. I just have a personal goal I'd like to accomplish before moving on to bigger and newer hardware. Again, I'm sorry in advance, but any and I truly mean any insight into my dilemma is appreciated more than you could imagine !

P965 for old chips with 533 Fsb or lower. 

Anything over 800 you want:

P35

P45

X38

X48

P45 and x48 are the best. But you may not need them depending on what you want to achieve. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

14 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

P965 for old chips with 533 Fsb or lower. 

Anything over 800 you want:

P35

P45

X38

X48

P45 and x48 are the best. But you may not need them depending on what you want to achieve. 

Thanks a ton for the response bro ! I've been conflicted over this for quite some time now. My son wanted to know how computers worked, so I decided why not score some time together building a low-end pc from scratch.

We had it working for a bit, the build and all, using a B43 (I believe) P5QL-VM DO the Mobo is called but I think it may be shot because it can't really keep up with everything else. I remember building a rig myself awhile back once I started working and it was a fun experience, hoping he enjoys it like I did. Again, thank you for your response ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone from ireland. 

Got a serious question to ask about my asus p5q premium paired with e5450 clocked at 4ghz 444mhz at vcore 1.2v pll 1.54v term fsb at 1.4v northbridge 1.5v dram 2.14v dram speed 1067mhz. As cooling is not problem as i tripled checked.and clear of dirt. What seems to happen is when i play games it has a habit of freezing the screen but audio keeps going the operating system is windows 10 graphic card nvidia gtx 660 2gb all drivers and updates been done. I have exhausted all tests most passes without issues im not 100% sure what other settings to tweak the problem as it been 2 years dealing with the ransom freezes

• 4 months later...

Hello, so i wanna try to OC my pc and i've been searching around ''how to'' guides and stuff and came across this one. Although it looks like a pretty well put guide i still don't understand anything...i wanna ask a couple of questions before hand though, i have some graphics cards problems, like, when i play games (on an android emulator mind you) it freezes for a few seconds and then restarts the monitor with the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" after searching for the cause that almost everyone prompted in not having the latest graphics drivers or latest bios update and stuff, i thought ''maybe the cpu doesn't power the card enough'' am i wrong about that? That was question number one, question number two is what are the optimal setting for me to go my core from 2,4GH to 3GH or even higher if it's safe?

Back story to graphics card, i had a sparkle calibre GT 8600 that unfortunately left me for a better place (RIP) and i bought a Radeon RX 460 2GB GDDR5, when i went to the store and asked the dude working there if this will work on my old pc he only said if i have a PCI express that it would, i have a pci express on my MB but from the moment i got it on there have only been problems.

MB: ASUS P5K3 DELUXE

CPU: CORE 2 DUO E4600 2,4GH
GPU: RADEON RX 460 2GB
RAM: 4 X 2GB 1333MHz
POWER:750w

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

ps: i don't know where else to post something like that, this thread even though it's old i thought it was appropriate