Zotac ZBOX PI320 pico

Does anyone have any idea if this will be able to handle a Plex server and be able to transcode @720p? I can't seem to find anything that says yes or no, but it's looking like no based on the history of other Atom CPUs.

This video proves Linus hasn't read Gibson's Neuromancer/Aidoru, otherwise the thought of ZBOX 3+Oculus Rift CV2+Leapmotion 3.0 would have come to his mind immediately! :D

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Huh, might buy it and slap XBMC on it to watch movies and stuff from the NAS on the TV. Do ya'll know if it supports 5.1 surround out of that HDMI port?

It has to, it's part of the HDMI specification (actually I think 7.2 surround sound is).

A $35 Raspberry Pi can also be used as a media PC or NAS instead.

If you're making a NAS, go for a BeagleBone Black instead.  Its much more powerful for handling ZFS journaling, parity, encryption and the like.  It also has Gbit LAN whereas the Pi only has 100 Mbit.  But for a media PC, go with the Pi, the BeagleBone has the same display adapter as the original Droid (it will do 1080, but only up to 24 fps).

I would choose Btrfs and go with the Banana Pi as it has a SATA port, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, dual core and 1GB of RAM.

I didn't know about that one, but it looks very similar to a Panda Board + a SATA port, I wonder if Panda knows about it.

Hey, LTT Crew, do you have a guess why it was dropping so many frames? Was it the H.264 decoder or possibly because it doesn't have gigabit ethernet?

Likely both. However the 100Mbps Ethernet would be a bigger cause 

I think the scores are not necessary. Come on, it has 2 Gigs of RAM a Single Core Atom CPU and onboard graphics. It is not a powerhouse, but it can handle 1080p playback. 

It's a quad core

Huh, might buy it and slap XBMC on it to watch movies and stuff from the NAS on the TV. Do ya'll know if it supports 5.1 surround out of that HDMI port?

Yes

A $35 Raspberry Pi can also be used as a media PC or NAS instead.

Raspberry Pi is good as a NAS but not as a media PC, you'd be better off with a Chromecast or Android stick

"Rawr XD"

Does anyone have any idea if this will be able to handle a Plex server and be able to transcode @720p? I can't seem to find anything that says yes or no, but it's looking like no based on the history of other Atom CPUs.

It will, but it's still a CPU designed for tablets. It's based on the new Bay Trail quad-core Atom CPUs

"Rawr XD"

If you're making a NAS, go for a BeagleBone Black instead.  Its much more powerful for handling ZFS journaling, parity, encryption and the like.  It also has Gbit LAN whereas the Pi only has 100 Mbit.  But for a media PC, go with the Pi, the BeagleBone has the same display adapter as the original Droid (it will do 1080, but only up to 24 fps).

If you're only using it for media then would be better just to get a Chromecast or an Android stick, as mentioned in the video

"Rawr XD"

If you're only using it for media then would be better just to get a Chromecast or an Android stick, as mentioned in the video

There are things that an RPi can do a lot better than Chromecast.  Wired internet, keyboard and mouse usage, local storage, and video chat are all possibilities.  I'm sure there are other advantages that one could conceivably want in a media machine, but I don't care to sit around and think of them.  For me, I'm perfectly content to let my old laptop sit under the TV and do it, which is definitely overkill, but there is no kill like overkill.

The Raspberry Pi is fine as a media PC as it has hardware H.264 decoding for smooth 1080p playback at a moderate biterate and XBMC have quite a few nice features. It is less useful as a NAS.

If you're going to get a NAS might as well get a legit dedicated NAS storage device anyways

Honestly besides doing Linux things I don't see any other use for the Pi. My friend has one and it still does struggle a bit with 1080p in H.264

"Rawr XD"

There are things that an RPi can do a lot better than Chromecast.  Wired internet, keyboard and mouse usage, local storage, and video chat are all possibilities.  I'm sure there are other advantages that one could conceivably want in a media machine, but I don't care to sit around and think of them.  For me, I'm perfectly content to let my old laptop sit under the TV and do it, which is definitely overkill, but there is no kill like overkill.

All of those are able to be used with an Android stick/box like what MINIX is offering. They're also much easier to set up and use then a RPi.

"Rawr XD"

All of those are able to be used with an Android stick/box like what MINIX is offering. They're also much easier to set up and use then a RPi.

I wasn't aware of any that offered USB keyboard support or wired network access.

I have a MINIX Neo X5. Using it with USB keyboard+mouse and wired Ethernet as we speak

"Rawr XD"

When the Zotac ZBOX pico arrived, Linus marveled at the fact that Zotac was able to fit a full PC into such a small form factor! But then he began to wonder... Who is this device actually made for?

I personally think I should buy one for my grandfather. He's always wanted to see the world known as the internet (literally that's what he calls it). In his retirement home, they don't have computers for them to use. So I'll buy this for him, hook it up, and give him the internet access he so desires and wants. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

pfsense anyone

it would be an nice upgrade and a major power saver compared to the P4 i have now for PFSense. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

Linus I'll love you long time if you test this zotac pc and the aver media live gamer portable to see if it's able to stream to twitch. This would be a pretty cheap solution for a secondary streaming pc. 

I personally think I should buy one for my grandfather. He's always wanted to see the world known as the internet (literally that's what he calls it). In his retirement home, they don't have computers for them to use. So I'll buy this for him, hook it up, and give him the internet access he so desires and wants. 

Dude, do it. Get that man some internet!

hey i have a stupid idea but do ppl think this could be an option for something like a lan parrty if everyone is streaming from one powerful pc

Very cool product but I'd be waiting for better specs and price before I'd recommend this to someone.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Alas Zotac does not have a reseller here in south africa, i think its amazing ands the hell out of the other solutions. 

I think as much and enthusiasts are comfortable with linux OS frankly people like "my mother' are scared of change and the box inclusive W8.1 is a huge selling point. especially case locally the product which competes is running andriod... 

Does anyone know when it might come to NA?

Nothing to see here, move along