Ultimate Keycap Replacement Guide

willing to part with your wrist rest at all?

Nope :P Without it I just can not reach the number or F keys. Also it is a damn good wrist rest except it takes a lot of space on my desk :P Bought the 7G because of it, otherwise I could just buy the 6G :) Are you looking for wrist rest in general or you need exactly that one ?

Nope :P Without it I just can not reach the number or F keys. Also it is a damn good wrist rest except it takes a lot of space on my desk :P Bought the 7G because of it, otherwise I could just buy the 6G :) Are you looking for wrist rest in general or you need exactly that one ?

I'd I've exactly the 7G's as a friend lost mine when I borrowed the keyboard to him.

I'd I've exactly the 7G's as a friend lost mine when I borrowed the keyboard to him.

Oh that is very sad. I googled a lil but could not find any place where you can buy that. Have you tried any other wrist rests ? Check for one from Ducky or just make it yourself from wood, plastic or metal.. :)

Oh that is very sad. I googled a lil but could not find any place where you can buy that. Have you tried any other wrist rests ? Check for one from Ducky or just make it yourself from wood, plastic or metal.. :)

I would like Ann exact one. Actually maybe @Charger could make one out of wood or metal. Would you be willing to provide exact measurements?

I would like Ann exact one. Actually maybe @Charger could make one out of wood or metal. Would you be willing to provide exact measurements?

Sure, should i put them here (if someone would need them too) or do you want them in PM ? :)

• 1 month later...

Hi there I want to get PBT keys. Should I get a second hand IBM model M or a Vortex with PBT double shot keycaps.

9:35, got that exact same sample kit. Woot!

Probably a dumb question, but how can someone actually pull out the entire switch and not just the keycap? Aren't the switch like soldered to the PCB?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Where is the best Australian retailer? I tried to Google it but it's pretty weird with the keywords.

I haven't any experience with them but try mechkb they are Australian and they specialize in keyboards.

9:35, got that exact same sample kit. Woot!

Probably a dumb question, but how can someone actually pull out the entire switch and not just the keycap? Aren't the switch like soldered to the PCB?

Yea but some boards are pcb mounted not switch so it you some how hook the switch and an not the cap and pull hard enough... Also you should be careful when taking caps off. Don't just pull straight up as there is always that chance you'll pull the stem out.

Where would I find black transparent KBC dvorak keycaps

Where would I find black transparent KBC dvorak keycaps

no where without a custom order.

no where without a custom order.

How much would that be, usually? Preferably in USD?

How much would that be, usually? Preferably in USD?

Contact places that make them like signature plastics. With a group buy of 100 sets it's usually $100-150

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys

What type of key printing can you use to get the back lighting color to come through of the key??

Thanks

What do you mean? you basically have to get backlighting compatible keycaps. Usually these are clear ones that are painted then the letter etched out. The newer aftermarket ones are doubleshot ABS or PBT with soemthing translucent for the letter.

• 10 months later...

I need to get keycaps for my new k70 soon, potato especially.

Be careful when buying keycaps, because IIRC the spacebar on the K70 is of a slightly non-standard size, but don't quote me on that.

10/10 would LTT again  :)

Be careful when buying keycaps, because IIRC the spacebar on the K70 is of a slightly non-standard size, but don't quote me on that.

Whole bottom row is non standard.

Contact places that make them like signature plastics. With a group buy of 100 sets it's usually $100-150

So there is no way I could resonably get a custom set for my custom layout?

I want a set like the 1976 set, but with my layout its not very possible. Ill hve to settle for regular looking keycaps

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 6 months later...
On 1/10/2016 at 0:39 AM, spwath said:

So there is no way I could resonably get a custom set for my custom layout?

I want a set like the 1976 set, but with my layout its not very possible. Ill hve to settle for regular looking keycaps

I'm a bit late , but but https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-carbon-custom-keycap-set

THat looks kinda retro'ish! :o

22 minutes ago, Skullbunny said:

I'm a bit late , but but https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-carbon-custom-keycap-set

I got a good one and did a lot on my custom keyboard Already20160628_184834.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2016 at 9:25 AM, Skullbunny said:

I picked me up a set of those for my KMAC Happy and KPad

• 2 years later...

Is it possible to replace just one switch on a keyboard? Purpose would be to make the F1 key REALLY hard to press, except intentionally. I need to use F2 all the time, and pressing F1 creates much profanity. To the extent that for several years I've simply removed the keycap so as to avoid hitting it by accident. I need that key on average only about once every couple of months.

Friends: If you went to Bateman School in 1963-64 and recognize me, please let me know.

Gratuitous Comment: EVERY case should come with USB-C ports. It's time and past time. WELL past time.

"Then name the system!": CPU-Z validated at https://valid.x86.fr/rkq3mc

22 minutes ago, Steev43230 said:

Is it possible to replace just one switch on a keyboard? Purpose would be to make the F1 key REALLY hard to press, except intentionally. I need to use F2 all the time, and pressing F1 creates much profanity. To the extent that for several years I've simply removed the keycap so as to avoid hitting it by accident. I need that key on average only about once every couple of months.

Assuming we're talking about a mechanical (Cherry MX-style) keyboard: yeah.

You can just go to whatever online store you like (like Aliexpress, eBay, Banggood, etc.) and purchase a small quantity (or one) of a heavier keyswitch (usually that would be a Black or Purple style, but just double check its activation weight. I believe going from Red to Brown to Blue, the actuation force is 45g, 45g and 50g respectively, while MX Black is 60g for example).

Then you have to take apart the keyboard (which likely voids your warranty) - desolder the switch and possibly LED (take your precatuations, like soldering in a well-ventilated room with a fume extractor, etc. Some materials like desoldering braid and a solder sucker will help) - resolder the new switch (and possibly new LED/old LED) into the board and that's basically it.

Of course we're talking about taking apart your entire boards here, which can be quite an operation and with many boards nowadays being held together with small clips.. Could even damage it, so do this at your own risk.

Unfortunately on most keyboards the switches are not hot-swapable and also the switches typically cannot be opened up (to replace the spring only) when the switch is installed.https://www.keychatter.com/2015/06/19/guide-how-to-swap-springs-in-cherry-style-switches/

P.S.: it would have probably been easier to just make a new thread yourself. Would get you more replies and would avoid bumping a three year old thread.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 7 months later...