Ultimate Keycap Replacement Guide

Linus this is an insult 360p realy? :P but i'm not watching it till 1080p is up

If you just wait it will be processed to 4k, by the time I finishing watching the video in 480p it now shows 2k after a refresh.

Cry Havoc!

If you just wait it will be processed to 4k, by the time I finishing watching the video in 480p it now shows 2k after a refresh.

yeah! thanks

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

now why did Corsair have to use a weird size for their bottom row and make pretty much every set incompatible. booooo

When in doubt, re-format.

Things I learned in this guide:

-be gentle and use the right tools

-be careful when pulling out

-use not just any lube, but high quality lube

I need a few replacement caps for my Logitech G710+ (Which has whiteish backlighting). Whats the cheapest place to get some? I don't feel like sending in the keyboard for a new one...

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I need to get keycaps for my new k70 soon, potato especially.

Have fun the spacebar is an odd size.  I have this problem right now.

<3 All this Televisor music

I love most of Monstercat music :)

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I've been trying to find blank black PBT caps for a while now. The only ones I found from the linked vendors were http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-sets-1 but they appear to be spherical/strangely shaped instead of cylindrical. If anyone knows where to buy cylindrical blank black PBT keycaps I'd appreciate a link.

Where did you get the dota keycaps??

Going a little overboard with the slow pans there guys.

For example, the bit where you were showing how some keycaps won't show light through would have been better with just a straight on shot instead of an angled slow pan.

hay anyone know where i can get dampeners for alp switches? i really love my blacks.

Good job on the video, very informative. I'll just pick out a few things that could have used a spot in the vid.

1. Something that's missing from the video that's pretty relevant for custom keycaps: Units

Units for the length of modifier keycaps: ... 1u, 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u, 2.25u, 2.75u ...
(it's fairly common to have odd length keycaps that make it incompatible with full sets, such as the g710+ 1u super key)

Also, space-bars come in different units too: ... 5.5u, 6u, 6.25u, 6.5u, 7u, 8u ... 

2. DSC vs SA vs DSA (in that order)

kn8u8Ui.jpg

I don't think this was mentioned either, DSA is pretty popular these days

3. Injection molded keycaps aren't limited to only 2 colours, it's just the most practical
05pokpywacdkha_retina.png

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

how about zinc and aluminum keycaps?

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Was a nice video, but not in anyway "ultimate" and it seems they didn't do that much research. For more in-depth, and overall better quality information check /r/mechanicalkeyboards wiki section on reddit.

There are a few misconceptions in the video sadly, here is just one. 

• "Sixty percent, sometimes referred to as "Poker"
    • ​This is false, or at least in this context, Poker is a keyboard, that is a 60%, There are other 60% keyboards and poker just happens to be one of them.
  • He didn't even talk about different keycap profiles/sizes etc

So where can I go for Control key replacements for the g710+

Can anybody recommend UK-based keycap replacement retailers for me?

www.overclockers.co.uk have a fine selection of keycap replacement sets...if you own a Ducky.

i feel left out with my CM storm quickfire TK :(

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I think should have possibly gone into the different sized bottom rows because corsair and logitech both use very f'd up bottom rows.

Good job on the video, very informative. I'll just pick out a few things that could have used a spot in the vid.

1. Something that's missing from the video that's pretty relevant for custom keycaps: Units

Units for the length of modifier keycaps: ... 1u, 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u, 2.25u, 2.75u ...

(it's fairly common to have odd length keycaps that make it incompatible with full sets, such as the g710+ 1u super key)

Also, space-bars come in different units too: ... 5.5u, 6u, 6.25u, 6.5u, 7u, 8u ... 

2. DSC vs SA vs DSA (in that order)

kn8u8Ui.jpg

I don't think this was mentioned either, DSA is pretty popular these days

3. Injection molded keycaps aren't limited to only 2 colours, it's just the most practical

05pokpywacdkha_retina.png

yep I agree with key sizes especially on gaming keybaords everything but the bottom row seems standard and that where they deviate from every standard all at once.

I think that bottom cap is off a Hall effect switch based board. If that is the case its much bigger , so the additional room would make it much easier to do dual color double shot.

now why did Corsair have to use a weird size for their bottom row and make pretty much every set incompatible. booooo

because that is what their chinese OEM uses? Many of the newer gaming boards do it for no real reason and if fits non of the standards.

Things I learned in this guide:

-be gentle and use the right tools

-be careful when pulling out

-use not just any lube, but high quality lube

Yes the right tools.

I take out the spacebar differently using my fingers with the alt's removed as they are touchy. Also I deal with wire coastar stabilizers differently, generally using a small pliers or screwdriver.

There are a couple different kinds you can use. Techkeys.us and geekhackers.org have different blends of Krytox which is what I would recommend.

hay anyone know where i can get dampeners for alp switches? i really love my blacks.

none because the keycap snaps into the switch, not over it like cherry mx.

Also the EPDM in WASD keyboard orings is indeed a better material than the Nitrile found in most other and especially the silicone in the cheaper ones.

Where do I find those ninja keys? I would really like to also let me see my back light through them on the side.