cable sleaving tools and braids

HermanT

cool, thanks a lot for this post... will be handy in the future as I will need to extend(build) cables...

ok so far so forth... I've ordered a pin removal tool set. Not the Phobya one, but a similar looking one from china or somewhere. I figure they are the same, if it is a little different in any way, then it wont be able to perform its work i figure... just no brand name, to save on cost and shipping..

shipping is a BIG DEAL....

I also ordered some paracord, 300ft of black and 300ft of white one... going to start with the basic colors to play it safe. Will also see if its of quality and then consider ordering more (good reviews though)... also got some heat shrinks and a bunch of different stuff...

waiting until those items get here... will then repost

super! thanks!

Can you link me to the kit you mention on ebay?

paracord... is that the same stuff other people use? like evga cables, corsair cable or other modders? Isnt there also some fabric inside the paracod, or I should purchase a hollow paracord or whatever? (bottom picture)

Sry for the long reply, but this is what I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-4Pin-Molex-3Pin-Fan-20-24Pin-ATX-Power-Connector-6pin-8Pin-Remover-/380729261992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a53b7fa8

On a side note.. Make sure to have or but (Just in case) extra terminals. I ran into this problem when I went to remove a cord and the wire slid out of the terminal. Problem was the terminal got stuck in the clip. So I had to buy a crimper, and teminals to replace to old.

You said Floppy......

ok so far so forth... I've ordered a pin removal tool set. Not the Phobya one, but a similar looking one from china or somewhere. I figure they are the same, if it is a little different in any way, then it wont be able to perform its work i figure... just no brand name, to save on cost and shipping..

shipping is a BIG DEAL....

I also ordered some paracord, 300ft of black and 300ft of white one... going to start with the basic colors to play it safe. Will also see if its of quality and then consider ordering more (good reviews though)... also got some heat shrinks and a bunch of different stuff...

waiting until those items get here... will then repost

.... 600 ft?!?!?

Look up your PSU from the maker and find out how much you need. My EVGA 600B only needed a little over 100 feet of cord, and you always want to include some extra for mess ups. But also on another note. When you go to sleeve your 4 pin molex you are going to need to remove the terminal to properly sleeve both cords. So you will need a replacement terminal for this.

You said Floppy......

• 4 weeks later...

.... 600 ft?!?!?

Look up your PSU from the maker and find out how much you need. My EVGA 600B only needed a little over 100 feet of cord, and you always want to include some extra for mess ups. But also on another note. When you go to sleeve your 4 pin molex you are going to need to remove the terminal to properly sleeve both cords. So you will need a replacement terminal for this.

Go big or go home?! Am I right?!  lol just came back to this thread looking for the links and saw this. 600ft should last him for quite sometime.

Go big or go home?! Am I right?!  lol just came back to this thread looking for the links and saw this. 600ft should last him for quite sometime.

.... 600 ft?!?!?

Yeaaah... sorry I had the wrong numbers in my head WHEN typing... I bought 100ft of plain white and 100ft of plain black paracord...

I just got it yesterday... So I got the cord, I got the tools, I got the crimper (I don't have the terminals though, as I don't plan of making anything perfect length for now) (hope I don't mess up in extracting the pins).

I ran into a question right as I was about to start sleeving... How do you sleeve PCI 6+2 pin + 6+2 pin coming from a single cable? Does anyone even do that. or do people have 2 cables for that.... I'm confused...

Also when sleeving... do you guys mark each cable when extracting them to avoid mistakes, or do you just unplug 1 cable at a time. These corsair RM cable are black painted so I am sort of forced to somehow mark them...

Yeaaah... sorry I had the wrong numbers in my head WHEN typing... I bought 100ft of plain white and 100ft of plain black paracord...

I just got it yesterday... So I got the cord, I got the tools, I got the crimper (I don't have the terminals though, as I don't plan of making anything perfect length for now) (hope I don't mess up in extracting the pins).

I ran into a question right as I was about to start sleeving... How do you sleeve PCI 6+2 pin + 6+2 pin coming from a single cable? Does anyone even do that. or do people have 2 cables for that.... I'm confused...

Also when sleeving... do you guys mark each cable when extracting them to avoid mistakes, or do you just unplug 1 cable at a time. These corsair RM cable are black painted so I am sort of forced to somehow mark them...

I was up to shorten and sleeve the original cables from the Corsair AX860i, the wires are all black. But since I got for free a Corsair individually sleeved cable kit in red for my PSU, I will shorten and sleeve in black half the wires, and they're all black too.

So I'm going to work them 1 by 1.

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Do you have single 6+2 PCI-E cables? With my PSU came 2x single 6+2 PCI-E cables + 2x 6+2 PCI-E pigtail cables and with the cable kit came 4x single 6+2 PCI-E cables + 2x 6+2 PCI-E pigtail cables.

I will use 2x single 6+2 PCI-E cables, because I will only have 1 GPU, and those cables are easier to shorten and sleeve.

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

• 2 weeks later...

I would try to stay away from Kits, from experience and first hand use most of them are kinda flimsy.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1262900/frequently-asked-sleeving-questions/0_20

If you check that link one of the questions on it is all about tools and it breaks down a few of them like the crimper and such.

Also if you are going to use paracord I highly highly suggest getting or making a threader like this : http://modbunker.com/shop/cable-sleeving/paracord-threader/

If you have any more questions about specific tools please feel free to ask.

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

• 2 weeks later...

I would try to stay away from Kits, from experience and first hand use most of them are kinda flimsy.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1262900/frequently-asked-sleeving-questions/0_20

If you check that link one of the questions on it is all about tools and it breaks down a few of them like the crimper and such.

Also if you are going to use paracord I highly highly suggest getting or making a threader like this : http://modbunker.com/shop/cable-sleeving/paracord-threader/

If you have any more questions about specific tools please feel free to ask.

awesome, thanks LutroO ... is that sleeving tool for sleeving faster? paracord covers it and then you just move the tool instead of pushing the wire through the paracord?

would be good to make it, as I doubt I can buy it, I'm in europe (even with shipping, its just wont work, sorry).

Do you guys use mainly or only paracord for your sleeve products?

Do you have single 6+2 PCI-E cables? With my PSU came 2x single 6+2 PCI-E cables + 2x 6+2 PCI-E pigtail cables and with the cable kit came 4x single 6+2 PCI-E cables + 2x 6+2 PCI-E pigtail cables.

I will use 2x single 6+2 PCI-E cables, because I will only have 1 GPU, and those cables are easier to shorten and sleeve.

sorry for the long responce.... I had other things pop up, couldn't do anything pc related ...

I have RM 650 psu... I have 2 wires as in the picture... a wire going into 6+2, then going from that 6+2 into another 6+2... so 2 wires 6+2 + 6+2.

post-105239-0-51570000-1419715186_thumb.

so basicaly there are like 16 wires sticking out of 1 6+2 terminal... I cant have 16 paracorded wires fit in it.... So the only way I see it is to cut the 2nd terminal off completely... so I can partialy destroy my 2  6+2 + 6+2 wires and make 2 6+2 wires... 

Is that the right way and will it work without an issue?

As far as not being able to power anything else PCI-E related, then dont worry... theres NOOOO way I am ever getting an SLI setup or a card that uses more than two 8pin connectors (like 780Ti kingpin, think it was 8+8+6). Can always use molex to 6 pin...

and here's the sata power... feel kinda stupid by posting this, its all the same. So I'm gonna need to sleeve that, and probably only 1 molex wire set, which is the same...

How do I do that? Wire it to the end of the connectors or detach them? Idealy I  would want to detach them and make them the right length (the length of a space between 2 hard drives) Why in the bloody world do the make them like that, there is no frieking sense. Yes ok, make 1 cable with such gap, but not ALL of them, there is absolutely no choice of modularity here...

and of course the 24pin+8pin... no question here, but I would welcome any advice.

post-105239-0-73098100-1419715751_thumb.

awesome, thanks LutroO ... is that sleeving tool for sleeving faster? paracord covers it and then you just move the tool instead of pushing the wire through the paracord?

would be good to make it, as I doubt I can buy it, I'm in europe (even with shipping, its just wont work, sorry).

I never used paracord, isn't available where I live. And I'm in love with PET sleeving. :P

sorry for the long responce.... I had other things pop up, couldn't do anything pc related ...

I have RM 650 psu... I have 2 wires as in the picture... a wire going into 6+2, then going from that 6+2 into another 6+2... so 2 wires 6+2 + 6+2.

Those are called pigtail cables, I don't like them because I prefer 2x single 6+2 cables and probably can carry more Watts.

so basicaly there are like 16 wires sticking out of 1 6+2 terminal... I cant have 16 paracorded wires fit in it.... So the only way I see it is to cut the 2nd terminal off completely... so I can partialy destroy my 2  6+2 + 6+2 wires and make 2 6+2 wires... 

Is that the right way and will it work without an issue?

As far as not being able to power anything else PCI-E related, then dont worry... theres NOOOO way I am ever getting an SLI setup or a card that uses more than two 8pin connectors (like 780Ti kingpin, think it was 8+8+6). Can always use molex to 6 pin...

I would do it. :P

and here's the sata power... feel kinda stupid by posting this, its all the same. So I'm gonna need to sleeve that, and probably only 1 molex wire set, which is the same...

How do I do that? Wire it to the end of the connectors or detach them? Idealy I  would want to detach them and make them the right length (the length of a space between 2 hard drives) Why in the bloody world do the make them like that, there is no frieking sense. Yes ok, make 1 cable with such gap, but not ALL of them, there is absolutely no choice of modularity here...

and of course the 24pin+8pin... no question here, but I would welcome any advice.

I will make 1 SATA cable with only 2 SATA connectors, the cable will have 200mm, and the SATA connectors spaced by 100mm. The only problem is, I can't unclip the SATA connectors that came with my Corsair cable kit, need a special key for it. So I found some SATA connectors that clip and pierce the wires and will buy some and use them.

1950_1.jpg

Hmmm interesting, thanks!

Fair enough, gonna start to murder one of my PCI cables when I get the time. Gonna read more about the SATA-MOLEX later on.

PET is simple plastic right? polyester or plastic bottle?

Hmmm interesting, thanks!

Fair enough, gonna start to murder one of my PCI cables when I get the time. Gonna read more about the SATA-MOLEX later on.

PET is simple plastic right? polyester or plastic bottle?

I don't know what PET means, but it's name is used among modders, and yes it's plastic sleeve.

what do you type in ebay when you order it (or any other place)?

Try PET sleeve or sleeving. Where I live there's only PET sleeve in only 2 shops, and it's expensive, 1€/meter of 3mm diameter sleeve. And is called sleeving here, even not being a english spoken country.

I don't know what PET means, but it's name is used among modders, and yes it's plastic sleeve.

Try PET sleeve or sleeving. Where I live there's only PET sleeve in only 2 shops, and it's expensive, 1€/meter of 3mm diameter sleeve. And is called sleeving here, even not being a english spoken country.

ok thanks!

Well ok yeah, I just have low self trust... pet is what I stated, as I was trying to figure out what is polyester about a week ago. PET stands for something polyethe%$^$#^#, dont remember. used to make plastic bottles and then we recycle them to make polyester and clothes. frieky stuff... it is also labeled.

plc3a1sticos-reciclables1.jpg

I think e22.biz resells them for me - he is in the uk and yes thats what the tool does its milled to fit the terminal in it perfectly. I use mainly LC Teleios which is a pet sleeve we made but I do use our coreless paracord often for those that want it.

Also for the 6plus2pins I normally use my double wire method or sleeve it as a 8pin to avoid having to sleeve the double wire on the end of the cable.

The double wire method and many others can be seen on my youtube guides /lutro0 (link is in my sig for a good faq and videos - I suggest you read it and watch them all to get the hang of it)

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

I

I

so I cut the end of one end of the pig tail pci cable and tried to remove the pins... good luck with that, I tried forcing the extractor tool in, pressing it, pulling on the wire, teeth pushing it out, no luck... I dont know whats wrong... I only managed to get 1 wire out. I doubt it was meant to be a hand breaking process... Maybe because the wires were cut and there was little wire to grab and pull... I did see multiple guides and the lutro0 faq and picture on that manner. I am about to try the full cable where I will have a full long cable to pull onto...

And then theres THIS none sense for a lack of a better word... why must it be like this? Is it not right to do 8 cable out of 8 sockets (this is the PCI plug that goes into the PSU)?

With every turn I am begining to wish that I would just make the cables from scratch...

post-105239-0-84491900-1420229954_thumb.

I dont know how I am going to sleeve this joke...

If the 6+2 pin goes to the psu side with an 8pin connector should be able to make an 8pin to 8pin. Sometimes they use an 8pin on the psu side and make a 6plus2 like you have - I dont know why they do it but you can make a straight 8pin to 8pin out of it, I do it all the time.

Also if you like I can make precut and stripped wires for you and even crimp them if you like. I just need the lengths.

[Reason I Live]

so I cut the end of one end of the pig tail pci cable and tried to remove the pins... good luck with that, I tried forcing the extractor tool in, pressing it, pulling on the wire, teeth pushing it out, no luck... I dont know whats wrong... I only managed to get 1 wire out. I doubt it was meant to be a hand breaking process... Maybe because the wires were cut and there was little wire to grab and pull... I did see multiple guides and the lutro0 faq and picture on that manner. I am about to try the full cable where I will have a full long cable to pull onto...

And then theres THIS none sense for a lack of a better word... why must it be like this? Is it not right to do 8 cable out of 8 sockets (this is the PCI plug that goes into the PSU)?

With every turn I am begining to wish that I would just make the cables from scratch...

I'm having problems too unpinning 1 wire in both sides in a 24 pins Corsair cable. :(

Check it here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/280898-unpinning-24-pins-corsair-sleeved-cables-problem/

I'm having problems too unpinning 1 wire in both sides in a 24 pins Corsair cable. :(

Check it here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/280898-unpinning-24-pins-corsair-sleeved-cables-problem/

The wire decided to come out in both sides after using some force. :P