cable sleaving tools and braids

HermanT

Anyone know a link in ebay where I can order psu cable sleeving tools, cable sleeves, heat shrinks, connector plugs, etc for order to europe?

I realy want to learn the art and sleeve some cables for myself... and become more nerdy.

I might even buy some of that stuff in my country... what I need are the names for all the tools, I am pretty much searching blind right now...

can anyone list the names for all the tools (for clamping cables, removing the pins, etc.)

thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

EBay sells a tool kit for $15 US, but should convert and ship to the UK. It has the molex, atx and Sata pin removers.

As far as wrap. You can go with a plastic braid, but you often see through these and in my opinion are a waste of $... Go paracord. 550 and you can find that to on EBay. I just bought over 250ft for under $25 US.

Paracord you can go with heat shrink method or no heat shrink. I like the look of no heat shrink, but it is a little more time consuming on putting it together.

You said Floppy......

EBay sells a tool kit for $15 US, but should convert and ship to the UK. It has the molex, atx and Sata pin removers.

As far as wrap. You can go with a plastic braid, but you often see through these and in my opinion are a waste of $... Go paracord. 550 and you can find that to on EBay. I just bought over 250ft for under $25 US.

Paracord you can go with heat shrink method or no heat shrink. I like the look of no heat shrink, but it is a little more time consuming on putting it together.

super! thanks!

Can you link me to the kit you mention on ebay?

paracord... is that the same stuff other people use? like evga cables, corsair cable or other modders? Isnt there also some fabric inside the paracod, or I should purchase a hollow paracord or whatever? (bottom picture)

Paracord-Commercial-Type-III-Inch-Scale.

paracord... is that the same stuff other people use? like evga cables, corsair cable or other modders? Isnt there also some fabric inside the paracod, or I should purchase a hollow paracord or whatever? (bottom picture)

-image-

Yes, paracord is common when sleeving PSU's. The inside of paracord does have what is called the "core"  on the inside, Paracord is what is used for parachutes, it is a very tight 32 strand woven nylon material. The inside strands is what makes the strength to old a human in the air., but we as modders don't really care about that lol, as we do not use the inside guts of paracord to sleeve. The inside core is very easy to remove, it takes no more then a couple of seconds to pull the strands out after you have made your cuts for the length of paracord you need for a particular wire. My recommendation is to just buy standard 550 type 3 paracord with the core inside of it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yes, paracord is common when sleeving PSU's. The inside of paracord does have what is called the "core"  on the inside, Paracord is what is used for parachutes, it is a very tight 32 strand woven nylon material. The inside strands is what makes the strength to old a human in the air., but we as modders don't really care about that lol, as we do not use the inside guts of paracord to sleeve. The inside core is very easy to remove, it takes no more then a couple of seconds to pull the strands out after you have made your cuts for the length of paracord you need for a particular wire. My recommendation is to just buy standard 550 type 3 paracord with the core inside of it.

ok, cool... I'm gonna order a few colors, so I can feel it... then hopefully I can start doing something in 2 months... I really want to do some modding!

whats particular about type 3 paracord and what other types are there? what if a supplier doesnt say what type it is? Also, what does 550 mean? 5,5 mm thick?

ok, cool... I'm gonna order a few colors, so I can feel it... then hopefully I can start doing something in 2 months... I really want to do some modding!

whats particular about type 3 paracord and what other types are there? what if a supplier doesnt say what type it is? Also, what does 550 mean? 5,5 mm thick?

The 550 is the strength of the paracord, it takes "lbs" ( pounds)  for it to break the paracord. There are many kinds of paracord 95,100,225,400,425,550,and 750 are the most common types. The " Type 3 " means that it has a thicker diameter then the rest, which is great for sleeving, 550 Type 3 paracord is Approximately 5/32" in diameter. You do have to watch out though when buying paracord, as there also is fake paracord, the difference between fake paracord and real paracord for us modding users, is that when you burn fake paracord, it catches fire ( we do not want that, lol ), unlike real paracord, which melts. Melting is what you want so you can be able to tack the paracord to the terminals at the end of the wires. It is very easy to tell the difference between someone that is selling real paracord over fake paracord. When you go to buy paracord, if it just says " type 3 " at the end, then chances are it is fake, if it says " type 3 Commercial Grade"  or it will have "military" or "mil-spec" behind the type 3, its real.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Tools for PSU sleeving, I recommend Phobya Molex Extractor Kit.

x32134_285x255.jpg.pagespeed.ic.S_p3V-iQ

I have 2 kit's, I broke the tool to un-pin the 24 pins in my first kit.

Be gentle with them. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

The 550 is the strength of the paracord, it takes "lbs" ( pounds)  for it to break the paracord. There are many kinds of paracord 95,100,225,400,425,550,and 750 are the most common types. The " Type 3 " means that it has a thicker diameter then the rest, which is great for sleeving, 550 Type 3 paracord is Approximately 5/32" in diameter. You do have to watch out though when buying paracord, as there also is fake paracord, the difference between fake paracord and real paracord for us modding users, is that when you burn fake paracord, it catches fire ( we do not want that, lol ), unlike real paracord, which melts. Melting is what you want so you can be able to tack the paracord to the terminals at the end of the wires. It is very easy to tell the difference between someone that is selling real paracord over fake paracord. When you go to buy paracord, if it just says " type 3 " at the end, then chances are it is fake, if it says " type 3 Commercial Grade"  or it will have "military" or "mil-spec" behind the type 3, its real.

thanks for a great explanation ; ) ! I really appreciate it.

thanks, didnt knew phobya makes sleeving kits... but great ! ty

then again, I guess I didnt knew a thing about phobya... all I knew is that they had some fan controllers... turns out its a real modding company...

so I can "eject" all the cables with this? molex, 23pin, cpu 8 pin, pci...

how about those I/O connectors and SATA power? or fan connectors?

so I can "eject" all the cables with this? molex, 23pin, cpu 8 pin, pci...

how about those I/O connectors and SATA power? or fan connectors?

What I/O connectors? Power and reset buttons and power and hdd leds? I never tried to un-pin those, so I don't know what tool they need.

Some SATA power connectors are not un-pinable, but you have the tool for them too.

The 3 and 4 pins fans connectors you can un-pin them with the tool provided by Phobya.

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

-snip-

I have that exact same kit, and I am trying to sleeve a Corsair AX PSU. The only thing I have loosened so far is a fingernail. What am I doing wrong? I have been following all the guides precisely.

I have that exact same kit, and I am trying to sleeve a Corsair AX PSU. The only thing I have loosened so far is a fingernail. What am I doing wrong? I have been following all the guides precisely.

Be gentle with the pins.

There's no need to use force to un-pin them, just the right tool and the correct practice. :P

What I/O connectors? Power and reset buttons and power and hdd leds? I never tried to un-pin those, so I don't know what tool they need.

Some SATA power connectors are not un-pinable, but you have the tool for them too.

The 3 and 4 pins fans connectors you can un-pin them with the tool provided by Phobya.

ok cool, I'm ordering it then!

I will also need a heat gun and some heat shrinks... any spec I should be looking at, when searching for it?

ok cool, I'm ordering it then!

I will also need a heat gun and some heat shrinks... any spec I should be looking at, when searching for it?

A lighter is enough, no need for heat gun. :P

A lighter is enough, no need for heat gun. :P

well, kinda yes, but why not lol... I can also use it to melt sugar lol

I remembered, is also a tool or tools for making cables "naked" or something, stripping tool maybe, dont remember... help

I remembered, is also a tool or tools for making cables "naked" or something, stripping tool maybe, dont remember... help

Yes, this tool is commonly referred to as scissors :P  Do buy a heat gun if its less than $20. Your fingers will thank you

Yes, this tool is commonly referred to as scissors :P  Do buy a heat gun if its less than $20. Your fingers will thank you

I think this is what I ment... https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/working-with-wire/how-to-strip-a-wire

ofc everything can be done with scissors and a lighter... but I dislike being ghetto like Linus...

I think this is what I ment... https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/working-with-wire/how-to-strip-a-wire

ofc everything can be done with scissors and a lighter... but I dislike being ghetto like Linus...

Surely you will not need to strip any wires, unless you're planning to crimp new pins, but I don't see a reason to.

And to strip wires, a wire cutter plier is better than scissors.

If you're thinking about getting some pliers, check this kit from Goldtool, it costs 25€ or 25$.

GPL168B-catalogue.jpg

http://www.goldtool.com/cgi-bin/product-search.cgi?template=catalogue-details&dbname=catalogue&key2=GPL168A&action=searchdbdisplay

Surely you will not need to strip any wires, unless you're planning to crimp new pins, but I don't see a reason to.

And to strip wires, a wire cutter plier is better than scissors.

If you're thinking about getting some pliers, check this kit from Goldtool, it costs 25€ or 25$.

GPL168B-catalogue.jpg

http://www.goldtool.com/cgi-bin/product-search.cgi?template=catalogue-details&dbname=catalogue&key2=GPL168A&action=searchdbdisplay

thanks man! 

well for a couple of reasons...

first, a tool to have is always handy... just 3 days ago, my firend had to strip his ethernet cable and attach stuff with his hands... I had nothing to aid him... thingns happen...

secondly I can say yes... I will need to make some cables cables (mainly 24pin) for one PSU, cause they wont reach... so yeah, I see myself crimping pins...

thanks man! 

well for a couple of reasons...

first, a tool to have is always handy... just 3 days ago, my firend had to strip his ethernet cable and attach stuff with his hands... I had nothing to aid him... thingns happen...

secondly I can say yes... I will need to make some cables cables (mainly 24pin) for one PSU, cause they wont reach... so yeah, I see myself crimping pins...

So you will need a Molex Crimping Tool, like this:

a90f9676b53d58836a9c9bed036481ac.jpg

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Professional-Molex-Crimping-Tool.html

ty

No problem.

This is the perfect thread. I've been considering doing full custom cables when I get started building my next computer. I had an idea of what was needed, but this thread has some great info on getting the tools.

--edit--

Just to be clear that phobya kit has all i need to pull the pins from the different connecters on your typical psu? 

This is the perfect thread. I've been considering doing full custom cables when I get started building my next computer. I had an idea of what was needed, but this thread has some great info on getting the tools.

--edit--

Just to be clear that phobya kit has all i need to pull the pins from the different connecters on your typical psu? 

Yes, Phobya Molex Extractor Kit have all the tools you need to un-pin all the pins in any typical PSU.

Phobya also sells all the Molex pins and connectors, and they also sell wire.

Phobya ATX Power Connector 24Pin male including 24 pins - Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41784&controller=product

Phobya ATX Power Connector 24Pin female including 24 pins - Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41783&controller=product

Phobya ATX power connector 4 pin male incl 4 pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41785&controller=product

Phobya 4Pin ATX Power connector 4-pin female incl - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41776&controller=product

Phobya ATX Power Connector 8Pin male incl. 8 Pins - Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=37570&controller=product

Phobya ATX power connector 8pin female including 8 pins - Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41786&controller=product

Phobya VGA Power Connector 6Pin male (tapered) incl. 6 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30469&controller=product

Phobya VGA Power Connector 6Pin male (square) incl. 6 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30468&controller=product

Phobya VGA Power Connector 6Pin female (square) incl. 6 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30467&controller=product

Phobya VGA Power Connector 6+2Pin male incl. 8 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30466&controller=product

Phobya VGA Power Connector 8Pin male incl. 8 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30471&controller=product

Phobya VGA Power Connector 8Pin female incl. 8 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30470&controller=product

Phobya PSU Power Connector 4Pin Molex male incl. 4 Pins - 5 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30465&controller=product

Phobya PSU Power Connector 4Pin Molex female incl. 4 Pins - 5 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30464&controller=product

Phobya Fan Power Connector 3Pin male - 5 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30461&controller=product

Phobya Fan Power Connector 3Pin female pins incl 3 - 5 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41806&controller=product

Phobya 4Pin PWM Fan Power Connector male - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41780&controller=product

Phobya Fan Power Connector 4Pin PWM female Incl. 4 Pins - 2 pcs Black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30462&controller=product

Phobya ATX/VGA Power Connector Pin male - 20 pcs

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30473&controller=product

Phobya ATX/VGA Power Connector Pin female - 20 pcs

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30472&controller=product

Phobya PSU Power Connector Pin male - 20 pcs

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30476&controller=product

Phobya PSU Power Connector Pin female - 20 pcs

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30475&controller=product

Phobya Fan Power Connector Pin female - 20 pcs

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=30474&controller=product

Phobya computer cable 100m - black

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41794&controller=product

Phobya computer cable 100m - yellow

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41800&controller=product

Phobya computer cable 100m - white

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41799&controller=product

Phobya computer cable 100m - red

http://moddingworld.pt/loja/index.php?id_product=41798&controller=product