Corning 100ft USB3.Optical Cable

Corning needs to make a 69.69m usb 3.Optical cable and sell it for 696.90$ :D

"A very inspirational quote"

All we need Corning to do now is make a display port version of this then I have my computer in a differnt room and have the room I am in be completely silent.

Didn't linus say on the wan show that he had an actual use for this besides the review?

Wholeroom watercooling!!

When the hell are they gonna show us that???

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

When the hell are they gonna show us that???

It takes a lot longer to set up then it seems. lol

"Rawr XD"

A somewhat practical use would be to connect many computers throughout a facility to an ultra-secure central hub/workgroup for fast file sharing and/or communication, establishing a purely physical network. Perhaps for use by government agencies that absolutely cannot risk a break-in of their network for a specific workgroup they need to keep isolated.

Other than that, maybe for use in an area with strong interference, such as a lab environment that would otherwise have wireless signals disrupted, though such an environment is rare and you could probably find a better solution by simply adjusting the broadcasting equipment to something compatible.

Nope, no practical uses for the everyday joe that a cheaper alternate can't solve.

With this you could buy a 2.5k+ pc and just put screens in every room and use it as multi-media pc, gaming in another room, tv,...
If you really think about it, this could be more affordable in the long term..

You could do that but what about latency for the mouse/keyboard/monitor over a long distance despite the optical cabling technology.

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

As Linus already implicitly stated, this is less about the product and more about the technological leap in the right direction. As a consumer product, this isn't going to tick many people's boxes. It's expensive and kind of niche. That said, the fact that this has even gone on sale is a good way of getting other more reputable manufacturers (with much deeper pockets) to sit up and take notice; hopefully, this would lead to these firms trying something of their own design and improving upon what Corning have already achieved. Who knows where it can go from there?

I agree with you. Historically, the first of many technology is way too expensive for a majority of the consumers. It will take time for them to figure out how to lower the cost but when it happens, it's gonna be awesome. :D

Thunderbold

Typo ya grammer natzi :P

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

*Snip*

That is some photoshoping.

Because he had a hard drive.

Imagine this corning cable with USB3.1...

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

its just a glorified 100ft whip :P

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I'm still kind of a noob, but How did he transfer Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/ETC data through a usb 3.0ptical cable? Did he use a docking station or what? I'm very curious on how he did that. I wanna try it for complete silence in my office. 

Socks and sandals. tsk tsk

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

For years my father has been storing his computer in the crawl space beneath his house and using it in his office on the second floor. Active usb 2.0 cables for peripherals and cat5 for video. And its much cheaper than this corning cable... although once the price comes down, I think this will be a better solution, especially with this kink free shtuff. Linus needs to make connections at corning for samples of all their fancy stuff. (LED lit bathroom vanities for the staff washroom!)

Just for fun:

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I might buy one in Canada or a site that will ship to Canada.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/8/2014 at 11:33 AM, Rannok Storm said:

I would use this to have a very powerful gaming rig/media center in a different room and bring the usb and hdmi to the tv area to be able to play games in the living room while keeping the room silent.

I hope they can figure out a way to make this cheaper because that would be awesome for gaming media center pcs that you can store in a different room and still be able to plug things in where the TV is at.

I personally don't like using game streaming, I prefer to have the actual machine there to play games but I don't like the noise the pc makes while gaming.

I am planning on actually doing that but what I'm mostly worried about is if there is any lag. I am planning on making a VR gaming area in my basement with a monitor and peripherals and another set of monitors and peripherals in my bedroom which is on the second floor (basement, ground floor, first floor, second floor) so when I want to game or just use my pc I don't have to go down to the basement.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, Volrad said:

I am planning on actually doing that but what I'm mostly worried about is if there is any lag. I am planning on making a VR gaming area in my basement with a monitor and peripherals and another set of monitors and peripherals in my bedroom which is on the second floor (basement, ground floor, first floor, second floor) so when I want to game or just use my pc I don't have to go down to the basement.

IT IS TIME 

ThreadNecro.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB