Need Advice, Shield Tablet VS Samsung Note

JonD7

Hello everyone.

currently looking for a good tablet for multitasking.

I'm a digital Artist and unfortunately, haven't been on my PC in 4 to 5 months due to being very ill.

If I need surgery, I figured I'd buy a good tablet whilst I recover and these are my top choices.

My concerns with the Shield is the quality control, I keep hearing about the screens being broken, I hear the cracking shell issues are resolved?

The Samsung Note 10.1 seems awesome.

My uses will be web surfing, gaming and drawing with the stylus.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | I7 930 2.80GHz(stock) | Noctua NH-D14 | 6GB Corsair @ 1600 | Sapphire 5850 Toxic Edition 1GB | Corsair TX750W | Corsair C70 black |<p>Collection of Parts for next build: Corsair 760T | Windows 7 Pro | Corsair AX850 |http://jond7.deviantart.com/ - https://www.facebook.com/JonD7

If gaming is the priority you should get the shield tablet because of pc streaming. But if drawing is a bigger focus the then extra screen size will definitely be very helpful.

Hello everyone.
currently looking for a good tablet for multitasking.
I'm a digital Artist and unfortunately, haven't been on my PC in 4 to 5 months due to being very ill.

If I need surgery, I figured I'd buy a good tablet whilst I recover and these are my top choices.

My concerns with the Shield is the quality control, I keep hearing about the screens being broken, I hear the cracking shell issues are resolved?

The Samsung Note 10.1 seems awesome.

My uses will be web surfing, gaming and drawing with the stylus.

I have non of the issues mentioned.

Regarding drawing i cant say much, i only used it to navigate and write stuff, and i´m just as terrible with a Normal pen as i´m with the Shield´s Pen :D (thats a good thing)

If you want to focus alot on drawing i´d go for a Wacom tablet straight away.
https://store.wacom.com/us/

But eh, i think the Shield tablet is a great middle ground. I just don't like Samsung when it comes to Mobile devices.
Oh and i have the whole package with controller and the cover. No issues so far.

I have non of the issues mentioned.

Regarding drawing i cant say much, i only used it to navigate and write stuff, and i´m just as terrible with a Normal pen as i´m with the Shield´s Pen :D (thats a good thing)

If you want to focus alot on drawing i´d go for a Wacom tablet straight away.https://store.wacom.com/us/

But eh, i think the Shield tablet is a great middle ground. I just don't like Samsung when it comes to Mobile devices.

Oh and i have the whole package with controller and the cover. No issues so far.

Great to hear this, thanks!

I would love a Wacom but this is something I want to use in bed, the Wacom Companion is 14 inches and around 4 pounds, far too big and heavy for me.

Also I don't have have a PC with an Nvidia GPU yet, I'm building a PC next year though, so soon.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | I7 930 2.80GHz(stock) | Noctua NH-D14 | 6GB Corsair @ 1600 | Sapphire 5850 Toxic Edition 1GB | Corsair TX750W | Corsair C70 black |<p>Collection of Parts for next build: Corsair 760T | Windows 7 Pro | Corsair AX850 |http://jond7.deviantart.com/ - https://www.facebook.com/JonD7

Great to hear this, thanks!

I would love a Wacom but this is something I want to use in bed, the Wacom Companion is 14 inches and around 4 pounds, far too big and heavy for me.

Also I don't have have a PC with an Nvidia GPU yet, I'm building a PC next year though, so soon.

understandable, I just rma'ed my gtx 690 and got a 980 instead so I haven't used the stream feature that much, but the games avaible on Tegra store are decent, some games from the Google store even works with the controller and I find that great, hopefully more games will get support in the future.

How about Surface Pro 2 or Pro 3?

Surface Pro 2 has a Wacom, so it is great for artist such as yourself.

Surface Pro 3 has the N-Trig which it is weaker than Wacom, but it is still enough for drawing.

Also I believe Note 10.1 also use one of the Wacom's technology, and it is pretty great I guess.

My downside for Note 10.1 is that they lacked a lot of good tablet apps, but you do get these blown up tablet apps version from a phone which I dislike a lot.

Not to mention, the Note 10.1 has either 16:9 or 16:10 ratio, so it is going to be pretty awkward trying to draw while in portrait mode.

I did have Note 10.1 twice before I return it twice. I was using it for taking handwritten notes, and it is really awkward trying to take notes at portrait.

If these issues you can handle without a problem, then go ahead and buy it.

My recommendation is SP2/SP3 or Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga which it also have a Wacom's technology, but it is both a laptop and a tablet.

How about Surface Pro 2 or Pro 3?

Surface Pro 2 has a Wacom, so it is great for artist such as yourself.

Surface Pro 3 has the N-Trig which it is weaker than Wacom, but it is still enough for drawing.

Also I believe Note 10.1 also use one of the Wacom's technology, and it is pretty great I guess.

My downside for Note 10.1 is that they lacked a lot of good tablet apps, but you do get these blown up tablet apps version from a phone which I dislike a lot.

Not to mention, the Note 10.1 has either 16:9 or 16:10 ratio, so it is going to be pretty awkward trying to draw while in portrait mode.

I did have Note 10.1 twice before I return it twice. I was using it for taking handwritten notes, and it is really awkward trying to take notes at portrait.

If these issues you can handle without a problem, then go ahead and buy it.

My recommendation is SP2/SP3 or Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga which it also have a Wacom's technology, but it is both a laptop and a tablet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah the Windows Surface Pro's and Samsung Notes use the Wacom technology.

I would get a Surface Pro 3 in a heartbeat but it's quite expensive... I could only afford one if didn't build my PC. :/

I think the first Surface Pro is around $500 but not sure how it compares.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah the Windows Surface Pro's and Samsung Notes use the Wacom technology.

I would get a Surface Pro 3 in a heartbeat but it's quite expensive... I could only afford one if didn't build my PC. :/

I think the first Surface Pro is around $500 but not sure how it compares.

Surface Pro 1 is same as Surface Pro 2 except it use Ivy Bridge rather Haswell Bridge. Both of the CPU performance aren't noticeable except the power consumption and heat. The Surface Pro 1 isn't bad, but the battery life is really bad. If you don't mind using the tablet while being charge almost 24/7 then there is no problem grabbing it. Sadly, the Surface Pro only has 4GB RAM at all model while both Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 can have up 8GB RAM which it is really beneficial for any tasks you throw at it.

For me, I never like using any PC products with less than 8GB RAM with an exception of 6GB RAM which it is still enough for any tasks, however, 8GB RAM is preferably.

You can still manage to use SP with 4GB RAM, but it is up to you and how you manage it.

SP and SP2 are no different with an exception of battery life, heat and RAM.

You can find a used SP2 on the Amazon's market for pretty reasonable pricing. Notice, it is used, so don't except any manufacture warranty unless it comes with it.

There is someone on an online forum at OCN (overclock.net) that is selling Surface Pro 2 i5/4GB/128GB w/ Type Cover and a manufacture warranty that last until May 2015 for $600 dollar.

Of course, it is a used product, so it is up to you if you trust that person or not.

To me, it is a great deal, and he also got a pretty reasonable rating and feedbacks.

Surface Pro 1 is same as Surface Pro 2 except it use Ivy Bridge rather Haswell Bridge. Both of the CPU performance aren't noticeable except the power consumption and heat. The Surface Pro 1 isn't bad, but the battery life is really bad. If you don't mind using the tablet while being charge almost 24/7 then there is no problem grabbing it. Sadly, the Surface Pro only has 4GB RAM at all model while both Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 can have up 8GB RAM which it is really beneficial for any tasks you throw at it.

For me, I never like using any PC products with less than 8GB RAM with an exception of 6GB RAM which it is still enough for any tasks, however, 8GB RAM is preferably.

You can still manage to use SP with 4GB RAM, but it is up to you and how you manage it.

SP and SP2 are no different with an exception of battery life, heat and RAM.

You can find a used SP2 on the Amazon's market for pretty reasonable pricing. Notice, it is used, so don't except any manufacture warranty unless it comes with it.

There is someone on an online forum at OCN (overclock.net) that is selling Surface Pro 2 i5/4GB/128GB w/ Type Cover and a manufacture warranty that last until May 2015 for $600 dollar.

Of course, it is a used product, so it is up to you if you trust that person or not.

To me, it is a great deal, and he also got a pretty reasonable rating and feedbacks.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and will keep an eye on any deals. :)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and will keep an eye on any deals. :)

I forgot to mention.

You can also buy a Power Cover for either Surface RT, Surface 2, Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2.

It is like Type Cover except it has a battery inside of it, and it can make any of those Surface with an exception of Surface Pro 3 last longer while using. I believe Surface Pro 3 does work with Power Cover, but I think it is only for the last gen due to the SP3 size.

This is Sean Ong who did a battery life comparison between non-Power Cover on Surface 2 and with Power Cover.

The results were shocking.

Adding it to Surface Pro 1 which they are known to have bad battery life. You can get a good amount of battery life.

Only downside with Power Cover is that they don't have backlit. :(

I forgot to mention.

You can also buy a Power Cover for either Surface RT, Surface 2, Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2.

It is like Type Cover except it has a battery inside of it, and it can make any of those Surface with an exception of Surface Pro 3 last longer while using. I believe Surface Pro 3 does work with Power Cover, but I think it is only for the last gen due to the SP3 size.

This is Sean Ong who did a battery life comparison between non-Power Cover on Surface 2 and with Power Cover.

The results were shocking.

Adding it to Surface Pro 1 which they are known to have bad battery life. You can get a good amount of battery life.

Only downside with Power Cover is that they don't have backlit. :(

Whoa, That's awesome! Never saw these before... definitely getting one when I get a Surface. :D