Windows 10, first review by MarthiniL

Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

For that you must disable "Fast Startup" option in the power managment options in any OS. You would usually chose the powermanagment icon in start menu, then go to "Chose what power button" or "Chose what closing the lid does" then select "Change settings that are currently unavaible" and disable the "Turn on fast startup".

Even tho it says that it doesn't affect restarts it helped me to solve the problem of the boot MGR not appearing, if anyone including you has anymore questions feel free to ask ;)

Honestly, the "feature" doesn't bother me at all :P

If Windows Update needs to reboot, or an application requests a reboot, then 9 times out of 10, I'll want to reboot back into the same OS. I'm actually perfectly fine with the boot manager only appearing when I do a cold boot, or a manual restart.

I think it's important to include "beta" in the title so if someone sees the review in 9 months time, they won't be put off by any issues that existed during the beta.

Thanks, I'll make that adjustment now ;)

is wIN10 FREE?

Can I install games on it from Steam/origin etc?

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

i just want simple like win 7 and fast windows for everything

is wIN10 FREE?

Can I install games on it from Steam/origin etc?

It's a technical preview, and I installed steam played half life, portal, portal 2, CS:GO.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

i just want simple like win 7 and fast windows for everything

Will it's simple and fast.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to test it out. Fingers crossed that it's good and also free for Windows 8.1 users ;).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running it as my daily driver for my Gaming PC for a week or so now (I was running it on a VM at work, but I got a 120GB Patriot SSD on sale for $58, so fuck it, dual boot at home!).

There are the occasional glitch of course, but gaming performance is much better then I would have expected for a Tech Preview.

So far I've played through the entire COD4 campaign, and I averaged over 150-200 fps (see sig for rig) with all settings maxed. I'm not partway through Modern Warfare 2 campaign (they disabled console and made it a bitch to re-enable it, so I'm not bothering with a FPS counter), and while I'm not sure what the specific FPS are, it's buttery smooth. Easily way past 60 fps, with no dips that I've noticed that came even close to below 60 fps. Again, all settings maxed.

I also played a bit of Doom 3: BFG Edition, also buttery smooth performance (I should really install FRAPS or something lol) with maxed settings.

I'll try some newer games soon, but I'm working my way through the games I had installed in my Steam Library already on my Mechanical HDD (Steam picked up all the games once I told it where the Library was with no issues). My computer is still pretty beast, but some of the newer games can bog it down a little at maxed settings.

FYI I'm running all my games on a 16:10 1680x1050 Monitor (Though I may play 3rd person action games like ASSCreed 2 on my secondary 1080p HDTV - I like to use a 360 Pad with those games).

@MarthiniL BTW I was a little unclear about your section about email addresses. A Microsoft Live Account is NOT mandatory. You can create a local account in the same manner as with Windows 8. During setup, you select "Create a new account", rather then signing in with your existing LIVE account. On the next screen is an option to create a local only account.

To access the Microsoft Store, and some other features, you'll still need to sign in with a Microsoft Live account, but those are all optional.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've been running it as my daily driver for my Gaming PC for a week or so now (I was running it on a VM at work, but I got a 120GB Patriot SSD on sale for $58, so fuck it, dual boot at home!).

There are the occasional glitch of course, but gaming performance is much better then I would have expected for a Tech Preview.

So far I've played through the entire COD4 campaign, and I averaged over 150-200 fps (see sig for rig) with all settings maxed. I'm not partway through Modern Warfare 2 campaign (they disabled console and made it a bitch to re-enable it, so I'm not bothering with a FPS counter), and while I'm not sure what the specific FPS are, it's buttery smooth. Easily way past 60 fps, with no dips that I've noticed that came even close to below 60 fps. Again, all settings maxed.

I also played a bit of Doom 3: BFG Edition, also buttery smooth performance (I should really install FRAPS or something lol) with maxed settings.

I'll try some newer games soon, but I'm working my way through the games I had installed in my Steam Library already on my Mechanical HDD (Steam picked up all the games once I told it where the Library was with no issues). My computer is still pretty beast, but some of the newer games can bog it down a little at maxed settings.

FYI I'm running all my games on a 16:10 1680x1050 Monitor (Though I may play 3rd person action games like ASSCreed 2 on my secondary 1080p HDTV - I like to use a 360 Pad with those games).

@MarthiniL BTW I was a little unclear about your section about email addresses. A Microsoft Live Account is NOT mandatory. You can create a local account in the same manner as with Windows 8. During setup, you select "Create a new account", rather then signing in with your existing LIVE account. On the next screen is an option to create a local only account.

To access the Microsoft Store, and some other features, you'll still need to sign in with a Microsoft Live account, but those are all optional.

I am doing it to running it on my main laptop on it's own no dual boot, played CS:GO, NFS:Hot Pursuit and Portal 1/2, it's been great and I also had the windows 8.1 enterprise preview I think, both were sold for me so yay.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Yes, Indeed, actually, missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

As it seems you dual booted too! Did you have any problems?

I did, sometimes no dual boot menu appeared making my machine useless unless i made a cold shutdown...

I noticed this every time i boot my laptop, I always have to make a cold shut down! and sometimes upon chosing desired OS the mouse pointer would just stay and no restarts were happening (Upon chosing Win 8.1)

Yes, Indeed, actually, missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

As it seems you dual booted too! Did you have any problems?

I did, sometimes no dual boot menu appeared making my machine useless unless i made a cold shutdown...

I noticed this every time i boot my laptop, I always have to make a cold shut down! and sometimes upon chosing desired OS the mouse pointer would just stay and no restarts were happening (Upon chosing Win 8.1)

I've noticed that anytime the OS itself requested a reboot (Windows Update, or installing a program that requires a reboot), then it would boot right back into Windows 10. I would only get the boot loader if I did a cold bootup, or if I manually clicked "Restart" myself.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've had no issues with windows 8 other than it created the MBR on my 1tb drive when I specifically chose my SSD. I'm going to format again and remove all drives but my ssd to fix that issue. 

I love not having to install drivers. It auto downloaded all drivers (synapse 2.0 and amd catalyst).

I've noticed that anytime the OS itself requested a reboot (Windows Update, or installing a program that requires a reboot), then it would boot right back into Windows 10. I would only get the boot loader if I did a cold bootup, or if I manually clicked "Restart" myself.

For that you must disable "Fast Startup" option in the power managment options in any OS. You would usually chose the powermanagment icon in start menu, then go to "Chose what power button" or "Chose what closing the lid does" then select "Change settings that are currently unavaible" and disable the "Turn on fast startup".

Even tho it says that it doesn't affect restarts it helped me to solve the problem of the boot MGR not appearing, if anyone including you has anymore questions feel free to ask ;)

Damn, nice review!

Can't wait for DX12 :/

Thanks, this is my first one, I will also try to review a smart phone (LG L80)

Honestly, the "feature" doesn't bother me at all :P

If Windows Update needs to reboot, or an application requests a reboot, then 9 times out of 10, I'll want to reboot back into the same OS. I'm actually perfectly fine with the boot manager only appearing when I do a cold boot, or a manual restart.