Razer BlackWidow Chroma vs Corsair K70 RGB

MrWifiman

I am planning on spending some money to update my keyboard.

I am now using Razer BlackWidow 2012 version with cherry MX Blue switches and its very convenient and the build quality is exteremely good not even a single key broke yet. Now I am wondering to change my keyboard , Razer BlackWidow Chroma and Corsair K70 RGB is my first 2 choices . According to Linus review video he said that corsair's keyboard is great but the software is not that convenient while i personally think that razer synapse 2.0 isnt that great too . Both software are very hard to understand and hard to set macros . I havent use any corsair keyboard yet and that is why I am here asking for your idea .

Razer BlackWidow Chroma vs Corsair K70 RGB

Please state out some good and bad and experience on both products if you have tried. It would be highly appreciated :)

Questions:

Do you think that its worth on spending money on a RGB backlight keyboard?

Which one do you prefer? 

Price?

Thanks for reading :) Looking forward for replies

-MrWifiman 

The difference, one is built to last longer than 2 years. All jokes aside, razer has very poor switches. So the k70 is better in my opinion. 

Welcome to the forum.

While there's a lot of razer hate, I don't think that the chroma is as bad as everyone says.  That being said, razer's "in-house" switches are not liked by all, and I'd recommend trying them out at a store or something before making that decision. 

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

You could say that khail switches are worse than cherry switches. It's all personal, but cherry switches have been proven to be amazing while khails are usually used in cheaper/rip-off keyboards.

Honestly, razer is not really known to have high quality on their keyboards, while corsair has pretty good ones. I'd go for the K70, it will most likely last you longer and give a greater feeling.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

k70. cherry mx 4 life

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Is it even clear that Khail are of lower quality? All of the reviews I've seen of them on Deskthority and Geekhack seem to suggest that they're near identical replicas of Cherry MX right down to the build quality.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The reason i am asking this is because one of my friend are using the CM from cooler master which is also Cherry MX blue switches .However the build quality is very poor that it isn't clicky anymore after few months and it turned to be like a brown switch :/ and that is what I am concerning

Is it even clear that Khail are of lower quality? All of the reviews I've seen of them on Deskthority and Geekhack seem to suggest that they're near identical replicas of Cherry MX right down to the build quality.

I haven't seen anything about lifetime of the switches, only that they have slightly "looser" manufacturing tolerances than cherry. (We're talking tiny differences as well, not even huge ones)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

RGB keyboards are just a waste of money IMO. Yes they do look cool but the lights arnt that practical. I would personally prefer getting a standard cherry mx board and then buying custom keycaps for it. Also, the RGB adds so much to the price which is for something that only effects the look.

The corsair k70 is a very stylish keyboard, the brushed aluminium and the under glow effect the RGB has makes it stand out from a regular keyboard. Also, the switches are made in Germany (final assembly is in China though) and Razer manufactures their keyboards fully in China. I'd say Corsair all the way.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I recently replaced my Razer - BlackWidow Ultimate 2012 with a Razer BlackWidow 2014, BAD MOVE... It has green switches, I pushed through and hoped it would get better with use for 1 month. Nope, it just pissed me off more... I have swapped it for my £10 Logitech K120 now and am finding myself loving it! big lol. I won't touch anything that is not MX Brown or MX Blue now. There are orange ones on the chroma?

I personally would love to see a version of this £10 logitech with a white backlight reactive keyboard, it's a piss take the price on keyboards these days.

As for corsair vs razer - corsair, the software may be complex but I like complex, usually means more control. Razer software I find is quite basic and wish it could do more (eg xml/text editable export and import of macros would be a god send).

I recently replaced my Razer - BlackWidow Ultimate 2012 with a Razer BlackWidow 2014, BAD MOVE... It has green switches, I pushed through and hoped it would get better with use for 1 month. Nope, it just pissed me off more... I have swapped it for my £10 Logitech K120 now and am finding myself loving it! big lol. I won't touch anything that is not MX Brown or MX Blue now. There are orange ones on the chroma?

I personally would love to see a version of this £10 logitech with a white backlight reactive keyboard, it's a piss take the price on keyboards these days.

As for corsair vs razer - corsair, the software may be complex but I like complex, usually means more control. Razer software I find is quite basic and wish it could do more (eg xml/text editable export and import of macros would be a god send).

Then the coming Logitech G910 might be suitable for you and The orange switches of chroma is still in manufacturing (not confirmed) but i don't think there will be. 

Razer's switches suck, only a tiny bit better than rubber dome, I love Razer gaming gear, but Blackwidow 2013 will be the last Razer keyboard I'll ever use. So in conclusion Go with Corsair

Razer's switches suck, only a tiny bit better than rubber dome, I love Razer gaming gear, but Blackwidow 2013 will be the last Razer keyboard I'll ever use. So in conclusion Go with Corsair

The BlackWidow 2013 uses Cherry MX switches. :rolleyes:

The BlackWidow 2013 uses Cherry MX switches. :rolleyes:

I knew, that's why I said it will be last that I'll ever use.

I knew, that's why I said it will be last that I'll ever use.

Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you didn't like the BlackWidow 2013 because of the switches. :P

The good and bad on both are pretty similar. You got great keyboards with great quality, good looks, great functionality, but... With bad software. :S

For me, it's not worth spending money so you could have RGB lights on your keyboard, but, if it's looking good and you are going to use that keyboard for a couple of years, than it's worth it, as later, more and more keyboards are going to come out, looking flashy and all, but you still have a great keyboard.

I prefer the Corsair K70 RGB :)

About the price... It's high, that's for sure, maybe even kinda overpriced. But you get a top of the line product with awesome features and quality, only with a bit bad software side of things, but that won't stop you from doing something you want with it :)

all the people complaining about razer's switches without ever trying them.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Ask yourself why either one is worth buying first off.

The RGB and Chroma and the logitech G910 are all dependent on game developers to make them useful as anything more than raves on your keyboard. There just isn't a point to them.

So really you're down to quality and software. Razer has stepped up the quality a little bit on their new products. And chances are you will replace your keyboard before either Khail or Cherry switches wear out.

Which brings us to the biggest sticking point with all of Razer products. They don't have onboard memory. Which is a HUGE problem.

And as robust as the Corsair CUE software is, it is hands down the winner over Razer Synapse 2.0.

Corsair K70 wins. Easily. It's biggest competitor is going to be the Logitech G910.

I bought the Corsair K65 RGB (red cherry switches) keyboard from Best Buy but had to immediately return it to get the Razer Blackwidow Chroma and here is why.

Corsair K65 RGB requires 2 USB ports to function, requires drivers for even the keystrokes to work, only supports Windows. (also, does not do usb pass-though to a Windows VM).

The Razer Blackwidow Chroma only requires one usb port to fully function, is usable in my bios, doesn't hang up my computer when it posts, keystrokes work without a special driver install and my only actual requirement the keystrokes work with Linux out of the box (I have to use Linux for work). To get it to work with Linux I program it using Razers software within a Windows VM using VirtualBox's usb settings and when I turn off my VM and use the keyboard in Linux the LED setting don't change. Even if I unplug it for an extended amount of time the settings say on the keyboard.

As for Razers new "Green" Switches I like them a lot. They are easier to click then the Cherry blue switches, slightly quieter, just as satisfying. Because I'm using mine at work I'll probably get o-rings to make mine silent. (Linux tech support)

Before you purchase, Id highly recommend going to Best Buy and trying them both out because the Razer Blackwidow Chroma with their green switches and Corsair K65 RGB with Cherry Red switches are on display there.

(FYI, K65 IS 10 KEYLESS)

- snip -

It does not require 2 USB ports to work... It requires 2 USB 2 ports or 1 USB 3 port. I didn't have to install drivers for my k70 RGB to work (In BIO'S and out).  

PLEASE USE PCPARTPICKER.  My rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZBmWjX

Would consider the Razer if it didn't use Synapse and didn't look like a plastic toy.

#RazerProblems

Git Gud.