Apple to show new iPads, retina iMacs and OS X Yosemite on October 16

Heisenbleurgh

Apple will be holding an event two weeks from now to show the new iPads, iMacs with retina displays and release their new OS to the public. Among the most notorious improvements are fingerprint sensors in iPads and rumors of iPads available in other colors to match the ones the iPhone is available in.

ipad_air_touch_id_mockup_2.jpg

Apple's next-generation iPad Air and iPad Retina mini are both expected to come with updated processors and support for Touch ID, the fingerprint first sensor introduced with the iPhone 5s. The iPad Air may also come in a gold color variation, and it may include a new anti-reflective laminated display. 

The Retina iMac, which may come with a "5K" resolution of 5120 x 2880, may be available only in 27-inches and it may also feature AMD graphics. It is expected to use a Haswell processor, as next-generation Broadwell processors for the iMac won't be available until 2015. 

source

edit:

Other rumors mention prototypes for a 12.9 iPad that might work as a 2-in-1 and use OSX and iOS and that this model won't be going into mass production until sometime next year.

source

Personally, this second one feels less likely. With so much work going into Handoff to connect all your devices to allow you to go from one to another and continue your tasks, I'm not sure how having OSX in an iPad would bring anything new.

second edit:

Apple has now confirmed the dates, sending out invitations with "It's been way too long" on them.

apple_oct_2014_invite_large.jpg

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I never understood why iPad Air already does not have finger print reader anyway. What are they adding besides that?

I feel like Apple should give up on the yearly schedule for the iPad line and go for a bi-yearly one instead. I don't think there is that much interest in for tablets anymore. Furthermore, once you get a tablet it is likely that tablet will last you for a long time, longer than your phone so there is less incentive to buy another one next year.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I never understood why iPad Air already does not have finger print reader anyway. What are they adding besides that?

I feel like Apple should give up on the yearly schedule for the iPad line and go for a bi-yearly one instead. I don't think there is that much interest in for tablets anymore. Furthermore, once you get a tablet it is likely that tablet will last you for a long time, longer than your phone so there is less incentive to buy another one next year.

They didn't add TouchID sensors to iPads last year most likely because of production issues. They were just starting to make them for the 5s which was always out of stock, so not a good idea to make limited production output more limited

Interested in seeing what, if any, updates are made to the Thunderbolt displays. 

Those have sat untouched a little too long, hopefully they crank up the resolution on those

Interested in seeing what, if any, updates are made to the Thunderbolt displays. 

Those have sat untouched a little too long, hopefully they crank up the resolution on those

I would love to see new Thunderbolt Displays, especially at 4K. I suspect a 4K version would be much higher in price unless Apple decides to use a TN panel, which I find unlikely.

I and many would be happy if the Mac Pro gets an option to have NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs, along with Haswell-E and DDR4. :D

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I would love to see new Thunderbolt Displays, especially at 4K. I suspect a 4K version would be much higher in price unless Apple decides to use a TN panel, which I find unlikely.

Knowing Apple, it would be a 1k purchase minimum, but I really did like the Cinema Displays of before and they are very nice to use. Hopefully there is something of an update to their monitors. 

I'm due for new ones, and I'll keep dreaming on them introducing HDMI inputs alongside displayport/thunderbolt inputs. Would love to have a AIO solution in my office so I can stop having a proper TV alongside my IPS monitor. 

Knowing Apple, it would be a 1k purchase minimum, but I really did like the Cinema Displays of before and they are very nice to use. Hopefully there is something of an update to their monitors. 

I'm due for new ones, and I'll keep dreaming on them introducing HDMI inputs alongside displayport/thunderbolt inputs. Would love to have a AIO solution in my office so I can stop having a proper TV alongside my IPS monitor. 

Ya, $1K minimum on a new monitor is what I'd expect too seeing as that's what the current one costs, but I meant that I think a 4K IPS version would be significantly higher than that even.

I just can't see myself ever being productive on an iPad, I would imagine it's a dream for media consumption however.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I would imagine it's a dream for media consumption however.

They're great for browsing the web, but the non expandable storage hurts.

They didn't add TouchID sensors to iPads last year most likely because of production issues. They were just starting to make them for the 5s which was always out of stock, so not a good idea to make limited production output more limited

Or they where saving TouchID for the next iteration of ipad so the they could tout it as a "new" feature. 

I and many would be happy if the Mac Pro gets an option to have NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs, along with Haswell-E and DDR4. :D

I think it would be a bit too early for them to implement DDR4 but I do like the Idea of Maxwell Quadros (sadly not a thing yet) 

\

I'm pretty sure half of this thread will be "but will it bend?"

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I think it would be a bit too early for them to implement DDR4 but I do like the Idea of Maxwell Quadros (sadly not a thing yet) 

Yes, although wishful thinking on both ends. :D

We'll see what Apple does for the event. I have my fingers crossed though haha.

Yes, although wishful thinking on both ends. :D

We'll see what Apple does for the event. I have my fingers crossed though haha.

I am hoping for a Maxwell Quadro for the MacPro since they would have such low power draw, it would make the Mac Pro even more Epic.

\

I am hoping for a Maxwell Quadro for the MacPro since they would have such low power draw, it would make the Mac Pro even more Epic.

That's my thinking, and now that they've exceeded even the FirePro W9100 in OpenCL they're great. Nevermind they've got much better OpenGL support and performance.

Would be such a great upgrade. Even more so if they suddenly offered them as in store upgrades for current Mac Pros. 

OS X 10.10 already has drivers for Maxwell, and the GTX 980. :D With 10.10 beta 1 drivers for the R9 290X appeared as well, hinting at new AMD support as well.

uqiVEhv.png

That's my thinking, and now that they've exceeded even the FirePro W9100 in OpenCL they're great. Nevermind they've got much better OpenGL support and performance.

Would be such a great upgrade. Even more so if they suddenly offered them as in store upgrades for current Mac Pros. 

OS X 10.10 already has drivers for Maxwell, and the GTX 980. :D With 10.10 beta 1 drivers for the R9 290X appeared as well, hinting at new AMD support as well.

uqiVEhv.png

Now I am even more happy. My GTX 980 will work again with OS X :D

\

Now I am even more happy. My GTX 980 will work again with OS X :D

Just make sure to get the NVIDIA web drivers. Sadly no OpenCL or CUDA support just yet, as it's all just in beta. Getting there though. :D

Just make sure to get the NVIDIA web drivers. Sadly no OpenCL or CUDA support just yet, as it's all just in beta. Getting there though. :D

Nvidia will get it sorted asap :P Well I shouldn't need Web Drivers if OS X has drivers but yeah I will grab them anyway :D. Going to add you to my post now.

\