Modis - "Talk to a Coding Professional" - Three Live Chats!

Sweet!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I will try to see all of them as I want programming to be my profession. Stream timings are sooo good for me :)

Would taking free online courses/tutorials (Codecademy, Coursera, etc.) be sufficient enough to get a job; without a B.S. in Comp Sci?

What programming language(s) do you think people should really focus on right now?

Are there any languages that are getting outdated and will most likely not be around in a couple of years (Making it a bad choice to learn it. Maybe like Java, isn't that kind of SLOWLY going away?)?

Is there one language that you think people should learn that will help people with future language releases, like if I learn C, C++ or C#, which would be best to learn for future most main stream programming languages? (If it's possible to say, and the C languages are quite similar so...)

What I'm trying to say is that Objective-C to Swift had some similarities (obviously), but what language are you expecting to be the similar one to the new language for Windows? When the switch happens, if it happens or do you think it will just be upgrades to the current languages?

These might be very broad and somewhat silly questions but I really want to know some of this stuff before I decide to go all in for one/two languages. I don't feel like switching entirely after a couple of years if Microsoft decides to release a programming language.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

On Topic: When you start learning a language, you follow all the tutorials from books and YouTube etc. That's all fine and dandy, however, after your new found understanding of all that is great in the world, what the hell do you do with it?!! I just can't seem to find purpose or direction.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

On Topic: When you start learning a language, you follow all the tutorials from books and YouTube etc. That's all fine and dandy, however, after your new found understanding of all that is great in the world, what the hell do you do with it?!! I just can't seem to find purpose or direction.

Make a game. That is what does it for me. I am able to share it with my friends, and get feedback

Or if you are in school yet, program your TI calculator to do all of the maths for you.

That is what I did. I did not focus at all in class, and I typically was able to program the whole lesson into my calculator every day

(Although this is not advised   :P  )

edit:

I guess I should ask a question

What kind of work do you do in your field? 

Would an internship look good on a resume for the kind of work that you do?

Thank you Linus for this opportunity. Will be tuning into this livestream for sure!

Question: What is, in your opinion, the best language to learn as a newb?

Make a game. That is what does it for me. I am able to share it with my friends, and get feedback

Or if you are in school yet, program your TI calculator to do all of the maths for you.

That is what I did. I did not focus at all in class, and I typically was able to program the whole lesson into my calculator every day

(Although this is not advised   :P  )

edit:

I guess I should ask a question

What kind of work do you do in your field? 

Would an internship look good on a resume for the kind of work that you do?

I use a TI Nspire CX CAS as my "daily driver", it already does everything for me  :blink: Though I would love to get linux running on it

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I use a TI Nspire CX CAS as my "daily driver", it already does everything for me  :blink: Though I would love to get linux running on it

Darn. Well, I was not lucky enough to come across one of those for cheap. I have the ol' reliable TI 83 plus.

It would be interesting to see how distracted I could get in class with linux on a calculator :)

Kind of disappointed that there's three separate streams, but they're all on Thursday mid day.  Can the archives get uploaded at least?

2500k | Z68-UD3H-B3 | GTX 570 Classified + Accelero Xtreme III | MX 200 250GB + Seagate 500GB | R4 | Seasonic 660W Plattinum | 8GB G Skill | Acer K272HUL + 2 x Dell P2417H, Rosewill dual mount, HP 22bw | Mackie CR3, ATH-M50X | DAS Keyboard | Mobile: X1 Carbon, Nexus 6P, LG G3, Samsung S5, Nexus 7 (2013)

Seems interesting enough.

| CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2400Mhz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI | GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 | HDD: 2TB, 1TB, 3x 300GB | Monitors: 1920x1080 3x1 | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate |

Can it be explained in this stream how many languages are created from one and which languages started it all.

Not sure if relevant to the guests, but I would like to know what the main challenges of founding software-based tech start-ups are and how this differs in countries outside of the States.

Also any tips for university students in computing programs (Software Eng/CompSci)

Might not be able to make live streams but will check out the archives.

Why not add to community calender?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Kind of disappointed that there's three separate streams, but they're all on Thursday mid day.  Can the archives get uploaded at least?

All 3 archives will be available at http://youtube.com/modis

Q: Does it happen a lot that a client (or your boss) asks you to code something that you cannot deliver? If so, how do you convince them to take another route? Do the arguments get heated?

how can you get a job as a dev in the big companies from the US if you are from another country? do you need any special certification?, do i need  to get a job in the local offices first and then try to go up from there? software engineering student in mexico :) there are google, microsoft and intel offices here but they do sales more than anything else

Hey,

I've got two questions if you guys don't mind, one for Linus and one for the coders.

A question for Linus:

Could your livestream be more friendly for the land down under? Your WAN show is but unfortunately the other ones are on the complete opposite side of our reasonable spectrum.

This one is for the experts:

I basically have no experience with coding but I want to get into it, where did you guys start and where should I?

Thanks for your time guys.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

this is borderline off topic. But how about talking about education within the field, what path's you can take from school courses (high school, university), where they will get you, and what the knowledge from the various paths will be used for, the applications of it. Potentially bringing up some other fields(science?) you could apply that acquired knowledge in (well yeah, i know there is loads)

this might be more aimed at the act of coding or learning to code, but considering they are "professionals" they most likely have some knowledge of it, hands on knowledge at that.

-delete please-

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...