Modis - "Talk to a Coding Professional" - Three Live Chats!

post-3-0-95120700-1402436163.jpg

So what is this?

This is not one... not two... but THREE opportunities to do a LIVE Q&A session with coding professionals - Gregg Pollack, Alyssa Nicoll, and Carlos Souza of Code School. Linus has connected with them briefly and we think these stream will be very interesting for folks looking to get into coding, as well as folks who are already in it, but might be looking for their next steps or a bit of a change of pace.

These great opportunities are being brought to you by Modis, a leader in the IT staffing industry! If you haven't seen our previous Modis livestream with Dan Pollock, we would highly recommend checking that out: http://youtu.be/UXf6RE9fn8Y. And be sure to check out their 2015 salary guide while you're at it!  http://www.modis.com/clients/salary-guide/

The three half hour live Q&A sessions will be held on October 9, 2014 at 11am Pacific time, October 23, 2014 at 11am Pacific time, and November 6, 2014 at 11am Pacific time.

Click these links to find out what time the streams are in your time zone:
October 9
October 23
November 6

ARCHIVES:

Gregg Pollack: http://blog.modis.com/code-school/code-school-giveaway-1/

Alyssa Nicoll: http://blog.modis.com/code-school/code-school-giveaway-2/

Carlos Souza: http://blog.modis.com/code-school/code-school-giveaway-3/

We have a few topics that we will definitely cover, but like all of our live streams, these will be interactive and we really want to see you guys post your questions here as well as hit us on Twitter during the stream with anything you want to know about. We'll be working hard to make these streams as educational and entertaining as possible!

And, as an added bonus, FIVE posts from this thread will be randomly selected to win one of these five awesome programming books:

Javascript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford

The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt
Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams (3rd Edition) by Tom DeMarco
Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby: An Agile Primer (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series) by Sandi Metz
Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture by Martin Fowler

The winners of these books have been chosen and are as follows:

[member=xXxYOLOxSWAGxXx_420BlazeIt] Javascript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford

[member=JoeyDM] JoeyDM passed on the book, new winner is Ghost The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt

[member=bradscoolio] Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams (3rd Edition) by Tom DeMarco

[member=origx36] Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby: An Agile Primer (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series) by Sandi Metz

[member=Igenatius] Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture by Martin Fowler

Enjoy your new books! Each of the winners will be contacted by me through a PM.

All three streams will be live at http://twitch.tv/linustech, but don't worry if you can't make it - Modis will be hosting all three archives over on their YouTube channel, http://youtube.com/modis.

Edited by nicklmg
Fixed post for night theme users

Text colour formatting... xC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sweet! 

Will definitely tune in for this.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Interesting, I'll see if I can make it :)

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

Nice, this looks interesting. Definitely going to check it out.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD

On the actual topic if the thread, I intend to study computer science/software development at university next year, so my question would be: what are your favourite programming languages? And how long did it take to learn enough to be of practical use?

Edited by Thorium19

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

@nicklmg can you change the color to automatic please? Night users would really appreciate it.

db164db6e3.png

Text colour formatting... xC

Please change to colour to automatic Nick, some of us on the night theme would like to read it.

Why not apply a custom stylesheet to default to a lighter colour? Or is it everyone elses job to make sure you can read posts?

That salary guide is clearly some sort of marketing bullshit.

Why not apply a custom stylesheet to default to a lighter colour? Or is it everyone elses job to make sure you can read posts?

I happen to be on an iPad, so I can't use any of the custom add-ons right now so far as I know.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Why should each individual have to do that when all the poster has to do is click "automatic" when they copy paste something from somewhere else?

I'm using day theme btw.

Why should each individual have to do that when all the poster has to do is click "automatic" when they copy paste something from somewhere else?

I'm using day theme btw.

I happen to be on an iPad, so I can't use any of the custom add-ons right now so far as I know.

You are the ones that switched to the non-default theme. Nobody should have to accommodate for your poor choice of theme.

If you really want someone to complain to why not complain to the person that designed the theme with such an obvious flaw?

You are the ones that switched to the non-default theme. Nobody should have to accommodate for your poor choice of theme.

If you really want someone to complain to why not complain to the person that designed the theme with such an obvious flaw?

I'm using day... Night is an option... All somebody has to do is make sure it is checked to automatic when they copy paste something from somewhere else. 2 clicks for the original poster. That's it.

I'm using day... Night is an option... All somebody has to do is make sure it is checked to automatic when they copy paste something from somewhere else. 2 clicks for the original poster. That's it.

Guys please keep the conversation on topic. OP has been fixed.

As someone looking to study Computer Science at university soon, and hopefully get a job involving programming etc later on, what would you suggest doing now to prepare?

Also, of all the times and days you could pick, that's one combination that's awkward for me :(

HTTP/2 203

As someone looking to study Computer Science at university soon, and hopefully get a job involving programming etc later on, what would you suggest doing now to prepare?

Also, of all the times and days you could pick, that's one combination that's awkward for me :(

Make sure that you know Computer Science is about computation/computing and not about computers.

if you want a programming job you should do a programming course/degree instead.

Yeah! I'm watching in the middle of class

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

Hopefully I'll be able to watch atleast one stream. 

Now for my question:

What's your favorite programming joke?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What languages do most employers look for?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

the native one for your country and ofc English.....

:D

C++, html, SQL, Java, c# and python I'm sure, it depends on the job ofc.

I actually heard C was one of the two or three most important. I know roughly myself, it was just something for them to talk about on the stream.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I actually heard C was one of the two or three most important. I know roughly myself, it was just something for them to talk about on the stream.

oh, facepalm. Ofc..its a Q&A.... How stupid of me..

Back on topic:

my question is: which language is there favorite, and why.

2 in the morning for me... looks like no chance of watching the live show.

anyway, my question: which is the programming language that is used most often by companies?

been hearing it is C# but how true is it?

I'm going to have to watch this. Hopefully I don't have school :P

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What languages do most employers look for?

C++, Java and PHP are probably the biggest earners.

Python, Bash, etc. are essential for system admins.

As someone looking to switch career paths completely away from anything computer related maybe this will spark interest for me again.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090