Not Getting The Internet Speeds I Pay For

So i am with BT and i pay around £30 a month and i am not sure what package i have because it was my mother that singed up for it the only package i can find on the BT site that is close to what i pay is this one but my friends have the same problem they don't get what they pay for i know that my town has old cables could this be the problem and if so will i still the same speeds as before if i downgrade to a cheaper package?

What i currently get

3802175606.png

What i pay for

93ce8d94f2e19d8e030e292b0965273d.png

Welcome to the internet. sorry to say but that's how these companies work. I pay for 10mbps and they throttle me all the time.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Up to 76Mbps

That is where they get you, trust me i have time warner cable

They tell you that it is possible to get 76Mbps but they technically are giving you what they say they are.

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Yeah the keywords are "Up To". You could always try calling them up and ask them about the speeds.

I have comcast and my plan is "Up to 50Mbps" and it has always been slightly faster than what is advertised.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

Welcome to the internet. sorry to say but that's how these companies work. I pay for 10mbps and they throttle me all the time.

i have heard of people phoning and complaining that they don't get what they pay for and they up there speed dose that work i heard they legally have to do it right?

i have heard of people phoning and complaining that they don't get what they pay for and they up there speed dose that work i heard they have to do it right?

I've had it work for me before, but I am in the US not in the UK so it may or may not.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Companies get away with this by saying "Up To" that's the key part, you aren't guaranteed those speeds that that package. You're just getting a package that can at times be as fast as that, there's nothing that can be done about it as you aren't being told that those speeds are what you're going to get all the time.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I've had it work for me before, but I am in the US not in the UK so it may or may not.

ok thanks for the help :) i will see what i can do

It's congestion. You need to phone BT and report it. Be prepared to pull some teeth with their bangladesh call centre, you'll need some good luck.  :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Chances are you can't get more than 20mbps if you're still on copper. Unless it's fiber you're probably at the limit of what your existing infrastructure is capable of, since here in the UK we're still using the telegram lines installed 100 years ago in some places. Ring them and ask but I anticipate that's what they'll say.

As for getting a cheaper package, chances are anything much cheaper will start imposing data limits and other BS.

your not getting your speeds because capitalism lets them to I have bee lucky with shaw actually getting 26mbps when I pay for 25

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It says up too, if there is no Congestion then you will in fact get 76 Mbps up and whatever you paid for down.

But ISP always oversell and they give 100 Mbps to a 500 people even though they only have 10 gigabits themselves. The Congestion is also why your ping is that high.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Chances are you can't get more than 20mbps if you're still on copper. Unless it's fiber you're probably at the limit of what your existing infrastructure is capable of, since here in the UK we're still using the telegram lines installed 100 years ago in some places. Ring them and ask but I anticipate that's what they'll say.

As for getting a cheaper package, chances are anything much cheaper will start imposing data limits and other BS.

Copper's limit is higher 20mbps... I get 60 and I'm still on copper, but I wish I had fiber

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT! COME ON PEOPLE!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I was pretty tempted to switch to BT infinity from my virgin cable connection since the advertised upload speed is so much better than mine. Not after seeing this.

I pay for 152mb (wtf is with that random number?) and get around 125 down and around 8-10 up pretty regularly which is very good as far as ISPs go.

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

"Up to" like me I get "up to" 12/1 but I only get 2-3/0.3 usually

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro