Windows 10 - After The Install

Today, I downloaded the new Windows 10 because "y nawt", right? So, I went and downloaded the ISO (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download?ocid=tp_site_downloadpage). After looking everywhere for a usb thumbdrive, I couldn't find a suitable one, so I used an 8.5GB dvd instead. I booted off of the dvd, and then was met by the drive selection. I found out that I couldn't install it on a partition, so I had to take my backup drive, erase it, and "repurpose" it. So, yeah. The installer looked pretty much identical to the windows 8 one. As a 7 user, I was pleasantly surprised that not only did the packaged display driver actually work and give me 1080p resolution, but the packaged wireless adapter driver also worked. After the install, I immediatly danced a bit, and then started up internet explorer (EEWWWW!) and downloaded firefox and chrome canary (don't ask me why I downloaded both). As the firefox install was going down, the display flickered and did what Catalyst tends to do for me, which is put on some overscan. I went ahead and clicked on start, and found that windows had automatically downloaded and installed the Catalyst suite. SWEET! (Pun intended.) Of course, it was Catalyst 14.2, so I updated it to 14.9. Then, I downloaded all of the proper drivers. While not making it super obvious, Microsoft does say on the "Get the facts about Technical Preview" page, that windows 8 drivers should work correctly. On one last note, the windows 10 boot times are pretty fast, coming from someone who boots windows 7 on an SSD and 10 on a HDD.

So, that concludes it. Windows 10 is great for people coming from windows 7 or 8 (I've used them both), as it combines the windows 7 UI with the windows 8 flat design and tiles, if you actually liked them. Should you download it? If you want to, sure, but just know that you need to know where to get and how to install drivers, and also how to install windows.

Side Note: Any motherboard/cpu that was compatible with windows 8 will be compatible with windows 10. (AMD)

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Installing it now...can't wait.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Genuinely thought this was a troll post at first. Why the hell is it called Windows 10? What happened to Windows 9?

God damn it Microshaft, might as well have actually called it Winblows.

I am running it as my main operating system.

I will be putting all of my trust into it, while also making daily backups of important files onto my HDD. And so far, it's solid. I actually love it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Gonna vm it for a few weeks and see how that goes

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

wait what is there no longer a windows 9 just they went straight on to 10 ? 

Holy crap, I need to try this, time to back up all of my files xD

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

wait what is there no longer a windows 9 just they went straight on to 10 ? 

Yus, they skipped windows 9 cause they "made such a leap forward" or some bullshit like that.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Installed Catalyst on its own? Windows 8 did that too.

This does not belong in Tech News. This belongs in Operating Systems and Software.

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/10-operating-systems-and-software/

Tech News & Reviews* Geez, this is clearly a review "after the install"

It seems like windows 8.1 but with a start menu. I installed it on my i3 laptop and it seems to be running fine. 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Glad Microsoft has done this, but I have my windows 8.1 looking and acting like windows 7, but with the speed of 8.1, so windows 10 doesn't give me anything that I need, so I will be sticking with 8.1.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Well geez when I used windows 8 it was in bootcamp and that shit didn't happen -.-

I would only recommend getting it if you want to see the progress before final release and if you plan on giving feedback using the Windows Feedback app. It's very unusual for Microsoft to give the users an opportunity to criticise the entire OS and to collectively give suggestions so I think we should make the most out of it to solve as many issues as possible and bring a lot of new features. So far Windows 10 feels a lot like 8.1 with certain larger aspects changed where smaller things either have been changed slightly or not changed at all. Maybe this time around we will end up with a really polished Windows much like what Windows 7 was compared to Windows 8.

In that case, this belongs in either Operating System and Software or in *MEMBER Reviews. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/25-member-reviews/

The "Review" part of this forum section is in reference to product reviews from websites. 

COMIC SANS

Going to make a virtual machine for sure ^^ I wouldn't install an unstable version to a real partition though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am running it as my main operating system.

I will be putting all of my trust into it, while also making daily backups of important files onto my HDD. And so far, it's solid. I actually love it.

How is it so far, stable? I'm highly considering using it as my daily driver aswell.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

How is it so far, stable? I'm highly considering using it as my daily driver aswell.

pretty stable so far, no bugs.

pretty stable so far, no bugs.

Excellent! A choice has been made, I'm gonna install this bad boy. Thanks a lot man. :D

Member Reviews subforum then..?

Member Reviews subforum then..?

I just saw that one... lol

Excellent! A choice has been made, I'm gonna install this bad boy. Thanks a lot man. :D

you're very welcome :)

That's because you decided to use "Express Settings" during setup, which installs drivers automatically. It's better to do "Custom" and go through these options manually.

Capture.png

I just installed it as my main OS, I'm really diggin' it so far, drivers have installed flawlessly and Steam from my HDD works.