Unboxing of the Micromax A1 - The Android One Phone

vandanved

Hello everyone so i just recently bought the Micromax A1 mobile. This is actually one of the 3 phones launched by google as there Android One program.

This is around  US$108 and currently available in India on Amazon.in

Watch the video and please feel free to give a feedback on the video.

I will be doing a full review of this phone shortly. So stay tuned.

Nice! I wish we had Android One in the US.

My mother could use one of these.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Awesome, good job and your English is good. I like these phones, please do a full review, where you use the device and some pros and cons. I've liked these phones since they released and I was really hoping they would release outside of India for the rest of us. For someone who burns thru phones fast this would be perfect. Phones barely survive a year in my use so something like this would be perfect for me. Can you tell me if they are limited to India in some other way? Do they support all sim (simfree)? :)

Higher MP camera than the new iPhones. Amusing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Awesome, good job and your English is good. I like these phones, please do a full review, where you use the device and some pros and cons. I've liked these phones since they released and I was really hoping they would release outside of India for the rest of us. For someone who burns thru phones fast this would be perfect. Phones barely survive a year in my use so something like this would be perfect for me. Can you tell me if they are limited to India in some other way? Do they support all sim (simfree)? :)

Dear god what do you do with your phone?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It actually looks like a fairly good quality device, I'd definitely recommend this to tech-illiterate relatives if they brought it to the UK, because it's fairly cheap and still has the latest OS on it. And it's more advanced than mine as well, yet it costs over a third the price mine did when I got it two years ago :( .

Nice unboxing and overview, can't wait for the full review if you do one!

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Thank you all of you for your wonderfull response.

I will be posting a full review of this phone later in the week.

Higher MP camera than the new iPhones. Amusing.

Yeah but iPhones had really good cameras. MP isn't everything

Watch the video and please feel free to give a feedback on the video.

I couldn't help but laugh at that. I understand English isn't your first language tho. :P

Yeah but iPhones had really good cameras. MP isn't everything

True, but front facing cameras are pretty basic fare. You have to admit that 1.2mp on a phone costing as much as an iPhone is completely unacceptable.

Also MP is a hell of a lot when it comes to editing. You simply can't edit an image as well with a lower mp count.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Dear god what do you do with your phone?

Power use the shit out of it! xD The phone that took the most torture was the N900 and it was the only phone I had to OC to get everything I wanted (From 600MHz to 1GHz), it once ran 30 apps parallel just for the lolz of it. I usually kept 5-6 apps running and since it was almost pure linux I power used it to it's grave. It's usually hardware failure, the outside of the phone is in mint condition, I rarely drop my phone and it usually has a case. The Lumia 920 I have right now is taking the use quite well, except that I burn thru it's battery in half a day sometimes, the headphone jack I repaired once, software started bugging but I fixed it (developer mode), Proximity sensor is failing (noticed it during calls) and it's just over a year old. I also have a lot of calls and text messages on a monthly basis.

Power use the shit out of it! xD The phone that took the most torture was the N900 and it was the only phone I had to OC to get everything I wanted (From 600MHz to 1GHz), it once ran 30 apps parallel just for the lolz of it. I usually kept 5-6 apps running and since it was almost pure linux I power used it to it's grave. It's usually hardware failure, the outside of the phone is in mint condition, I rarely drop my phone and it usually has a case. The Lumia 920 I have right now is taking the use quite well, except that I burn thru it's battery in half a day sometimes, the headphone jack I repaired once, software started bugging but I fixed it (developer mode), Proximity sensor is failing (noticed it during calls) and it's just over a year old. I also have a lot of calls and text messages on a monthly basis.

Ah fair enough!

Sounds like it's definitely a taxing life for them. I think you're one of the few people that would actually benefit from Project Ara, haha.

Texts always add up a lot faster than one would think. I'm usually up at around 5,000/month.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Ah fair enough!

Sounds like it's definitely a taxing life for them. I think you're one of the few people that would actually benefit from Project Ara, haha.

Texts always add up a lot faster than one would think. I'm usually up at around 5,000/month.

I was thinking of waiting for it if it comes out in Q1 2015 and at a reasonable price.

Oh man, texts do add up, fortunately facebook messaging helps out a lot (even though I hate it) to keep in touch with a few friends and family. Business is usually via phone calls, GF and other girl related matters via texts and all my mates are already on Skype 24/7 so that part is covered, phone calls within the company and family are 0$ (free of charge within a small network) so I don't suffer from huge bills! :D

Is it smooth I want to know?

I will burn through fanboys, faggots and isheeps in the comments *mostly YouTube comments*, who say Android needs high end hardware to run smoothly which is bullshit, my Lenovo A369i runs smooth after rooting it and freezing all the fucking bloatware and a launcher from play store.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

• 2 weeks later...

pretty interesting to see these kind of phones, with google trusting more and more companies overseas. Im seeing it would be launched here in the philippines through brands like cherry mobile, star mobile and myphone. 

Same with my Xperia SP, I just broke it, maybe just the battery, it just turns off and off everytime and wont boot up unless its charged. Had it for only six months, now i might buy a moto g.

True, but front facing cameras are pretty basic fare. You have to admit that 1.2mp on a phone costing as much as an iPhone is completely unacceptable.

Also MP is a hell of a lot when it comes to editing. You simply can't edit an image as well with a lower mp count.

1.2 is perfectly fine for a facetime camera, its 720p, which is good because it ensures consistent video performance even if your data network is going slow 

And not really, an 8mp image is perfectly editable, my Full frame Sony A7 has a 24mp sensor but when using crop lenses I only get 10mp, the files are still outstanding! Its not like the image is 640x480

Interesting phone though, watched the unboxing but I have no audio at work (sorry) so cant comment, looking forward to a full review though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Does it use Gorilla Glass? I can't seem to find this information anywhere :(

Nopes. No GG.

HP 15-BA021AX - 2.3GHz AMD A10-9600P processor - 4GB DDR4 RAM - 1TB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive - 15.6-inch screen, AMD Radeon R7 M440 2GB Graphics - Windows 10

Waiting for HTC to launch the Android One phone.

HP 15-BA021AX - 2.3GHz AMD A10-9600P processor - 4GB DDR4 RAM - 1TB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive - 15.6-inch screen, AMD Radeon R7 M440 2GB Graphics - Windows 10

Same with my Xperia SP, I just broke it, maybe just the battery, it just turns off and off everytime and wont boot up unless its charged. Had it for only six months, now i might buy a moto g.

I was thinking the same. I want to go with the new Moto G because of the much better camera and SD card, but I'm not sure if a 5" phone will be too big and how it will impact the battery. But seeing how the battery tests give it even a higher on time than my current phone, it can't be worse! :D

damn i wished they where available everywhere it looks looks a really nice deal for browsing and talking

do a full review please 

Waiting for HTC to launch the Android One phone.

HTC One (One) :D

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

1.2 is perfectly fine for a facetime camera, its 720p, which is good because it ensures consistent video performance even if your data network is going slow 

And not really, an 8mp image is perfectly editable, my Full frame Sony A7 has a 24mp sensor but when using crop lenses I only get 10mp, the files are still outstanding! Its not like the image is 640x480

Interesting phone though, watched the unboxing but I have no audio at work (sorry) so cant comment, looking forward to a full review though

True, but 1.2mp is a long way off from 10mp.

I imagine you can control the quality of the front facing camera, so the added option of a better image doesn't seem like it's much of a burden. Not everyone is on a shitty network, and I know more than a few people that would appreciate the better quality.

I'm just surprised that in a world where every other company is pushing front facing cameras forward, Apple is content with leaving a 1.2mp shooter there. On a phone costing more than pretty much everything else.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler