Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

Is there anyway to remove that Cortana search bar? Also, how to I make it so that pressing the Windows key and then typing searches? I'm using win+f for now, but I prefer the other method.

To hide the search box from the task bar: http://www.howtogeek.com/208276/how-to-hide-the-cortana-search-box-on-the-windows-10-taskbar/

As for opening start and searching, that's what Cortana is for (I'm being serious), its the new search.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

To hide the search box from the task bar: http://www.howtogeek.com/208276/how-to-hide-the-cortana-search-box-on-the-windows-10-taskbar/

As for opening start and searching, that's what Cortana is for (I'm being serious), its the new search.

I don't want to click anything... I just want to press the Windows key and type as Windows 7 and 8 let me do. Now I have to press win+f :( Thanks for first part though.

Windows 10 Enterprise have reported to have been modified. So be careful.

It is not a forum member that leaked it, it is the one getting the leaked builds of Windows 10.

I am waiting as Microsoft is not releasing Windows 10 new build due to some bug. So if it makes them stop, it is probably a critical level bug, else they can release a Windows Update to fix it.

I don't want to click anything... I just want to press the Windows key and type as Windows 7 and 8 let me do. Now I have to press win+f :(

It works for me. If I hit the Windows key in my keyboard I can search from the start menu. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

It works for me. If I hit the Windows key in my keyboard I can search from the start menu.

I press windows key, the start menu pops up, as it was in Windows 7 or 8. But if I start typing immediately afterward, nothing happens. In windows 7 or 8, it'd search the local file system for whatever I typed.

Not sure if this is a regression or intended.

I don't want to click anything... I just want to press the Windows key and type as Windows 7 and 8 let me do. Now I have to press win+f :( Thanks for first part though.

When has pressing Windows Key and typing not worked(Since Vista)?

Windows 10 Enterprise have reported to have been modified. So be careful.

It is not a forum member that leaked it, it is the one getting the leaked builds of Windows 10

As far as I know, It was leaked by a forum, their tag is in the NFO file on the P2P download. The Admin of the forum posted it themselves online. I'm looking at the forum thread as we speak. Other forums are also quoting aforementioned forum as the source.

Thanks for the heads up on the enterprise build. I personally don't download leaks as it is better to air on the side of caution.

When has pressing Windows Key and typing not worked(Since Vista)?

I don't know, I've only used 98SE, XP, 7, 8. And it doesn't work in 10 on my machine.

I press windows key, the start menu pops up, as it was in Windows 7 or 8. But if I start typing immediately afterward, nothing happens. In windows 7 or 8, it'd search the local file system for whatever I typed.

Not sure if this is a regression or intended.

You do have Search/Cortana enabled right?

You do have Search/Cortana enabled right?

It shows the search glass, yes.

It shows the search glass, yes.

Strange. When you hit the start key, does the search glass icon turn into a search box. It does on my end, and I can type as soon as the start menu opens.

You are running build 9926? If so, maybe it is just a bug or issue on your end. Luckily, a new official build should be pushed within a week or two according to WinBeta. So maybe the upgrade will fix whatever issue you are having.

Strange. When you hit the start key, does the search glass icon turn into a search box. It does on my end, and I can type as soon as the start menu opens.

You are running build 9926? If so, maybe it is just a bug or issue on your end. Luckily, a new official build should be pushed within a week or two according to WinBeta. So maybe the upgrade will fix whatever issue you are having.

Latest build, it does not turn into a search box. I'll test a few things and see if I can fix it.

Edit: It's a glitch. I use my taskbar in the vertical rather than horizontal orientation. If I switch it to the more standard horizontal, it works as expected. They'll definitely fix it before launch, I wonder if it's been reported.

Just a quick update on my use. The update crashed my computer twice and killed one of my SSD's. All good fun lucky I had a spare. 

Gabe Aul said on twitter that Build 1036 won't be the build released to Insiders

Gabe Aul said on twitter that Build 1036 won't be the build released to Insiders

Microsoft would of shot themselves in the face if they even thought about releasing 10036 to the insider program. It's a horrible build.

Microsoft would of shot themselves in the face if they even thought about releasing 10036 to the insider program. It's a horrible build.

Well it is part of risks of beta testing an OS. When an OS doesn't run properly... a small bug can results in massive damage to user data or security issue.

But yes, they did say that the reason why there is no build in February and still not now, is due to bugs.

The new build (9926) is pretty cool, different, and WAY better than the previous Windows. Main OS on my PC, no Virtual Machine.post-198096-0-17630300-1426620278_thumb.

Charms bar is gone, and Action Center is here

post-198096-0-36661000-1426620304_thumb.

A new Start menu and screen

post-198096-0-33780700-1426620344_thumb.

post-198096-0-56279600-1426620582_thumb.

And the best part, we get Cortana on PC!

post-198096-0-43622000-1426620391_thumb.

00100101 00110000 01111100 00100101 00110000

New Windows 10 Build released to all on Fast ring.

Build 10041!

Downloading now...

Missing a zero, hopefully this will be far better than what 10036 turned out to be.

Desktop

• You can now drag windows to another desktop in the Task View
  • Task View has been updated with a new interface
  • You can now choose to display all active apps from all desktops in the taskbar, or only the apps that are on the current desktop
  • The start button now has a smaller Windows logo and a new hover design
  • When clicking on the network icon, a new window shows up to manage your connection without opening Settings
  • The window preview in the taskbar has been updated with a new design
  • Multiple icons have been updated
  • When the taskbar is small, the date will still be visible

Start

• The start menu now can be made transparent
  • You can now pin tiles by draging apps from the "All apps" list to the start screen
  • "Places" no longer have icons, and the "Places" title has been removed
  • The "All apps" icon has been changed
  • You can now put the PC to sleep with the power button in start
  • Folders now have an arrow to indicate that they contain a dropdown
  • Internet Explorer isn't listed in the "All apps" list

Internet Explorer

• Internet Explorer has been updated to version 11.0.10011
  • Improved support for ECMAScript 6
  • Improved support for CSS3 standards
  • Improved support for HTML5 standards
  • New flags have been added to about:flags

Features

• The lock screen now shows icons in the bottom right corner, instead of under the clock
  • The login screen has been redesigned
  • You can now print to PDF natively
  • You can now install apps from and move apps to an SD card
  • Context menus now have a touch-friendly design when using a touch screen (and a redesign in general)
  • Cortana is now available in China, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain
  • The Text Input canvas has been improved

Installation

• The installation UI has been updated
  • The installation now shows a percentage that is a total of the full installation, rather then a percentage for each step
  • Cortana now gets introduced during installation
  • It's now more clear how to make a new Microsoft Account, or how to use a local account

Apps

• Photos
    • The Live Tile is now integrated with OneDrive
  • Reading List
    • Reading List now notifies you of its Windows Phone counterpart
  • Windows Store beta
    • Small changes to the UI in general
  • OneNote
    • OneNote Preview is now the default version and no longer requires an update to be installed to show up
  • Settings
    • There are new app management tools
    • Regular Win32 apps are now also displayed in with the WinRT apps in the Settings
    • UI items have been refreshed
    • You can now choose to receive updates through P2P
    • Windows Defender settings have been added
    • You can now choose the behavior of the Tablet mode switch
  • Windows Feedback
    • The Feedback app now has an improved interface
    • The category a feedback item belongs to is now displayed above that feedback item
  • Insider Hub
    • You can now track the feedback you've given
  • Scan
    • The Scan app has been revamped

And further

• Loading screens for Restarting, Shutting down, etc. have been redesigned

Hi guys, there are a few topics about Windows 10, but here I want to make one just for people (like me) who test the system.

Windows Insider Program

https://insider.windows.com/

I'm just beginning my testing, I'm running it on Oracle Virtualbox, if you're curious what my settings are, here you go:

Edit: Default Windows 8.1 settings should work, if not, here you've got mine:

Microsoft Windows, Other (32bit)

All cores, 100% (shouldn't affect much, work speed is quite high)

TURN ON PAE (otherwise the system won't start)

128MB GPU, 3D Acceleration

I needed to shut down the virtual machine a few times because of a black screen, don't worry if you get one.

After you install everything, your network and audio might not work. I managed to fix my issues with those settings:

REXJrro.png

y6zvPs5.png

The great list of easter eggs and bugs:

Charm bar search still exists.

You can "summon" it by Win + C

There are two task managers

beWgwJB.png

What's new?

A little bit different structure of C:\

C:\ is now better organized, it's more minimalistic. That's how it works:

C:\

-PerfLogs

-Program Files

-Users

--Name

--Public

-Windows

In  your opinion, is Windows 10 at at he point where it can be used as an everyday OS or not yet?

@benthegreat17, it's not a good idea to use the fast ring as your main OS, they're making some modifications to NTFS filesystem and Explorer, and those can screw everything up, even backups, in case of a bug.

Hmmm

I know I'm late to this party, but I just installed the Technical Preview (Build 9926) and may I just say . . .

*SLOW CLAP*

Microsoft has gotten their crap together.  This OS rocks -- it's the best of both worlds, tablet and desktop.  I'm super excited for the full release and for its mobile device potential.

its been confirmed  by Microsoft  that people will be able to upgrade from the windows technical preview  to the RTM  Version and they said that's there intention

hey I don't know I you all get this

I have evga gt610 latest drivers from windows update

now after the last updates every now and then when I play a game watch a movie in player or video on web I get this freezing and like time stretch effect when the audio of a second long lasts for 5 seconds and the mouse isn't moving all is frozen then going for a a few MSeconds freeze then a few more ms' so on some times the screen goes black then comes back with lets say explorer all messed up like transparency in the tasks area or in the menu and sometimes all is good after the freeze and some times the pc is non responsive

this never happen before the updates

I was on o.c but lowered the settings but still it happens don't know

(could it be that I changed the SSD config to reliability instead of performance ?

thanks    

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

hey I don't know I you all get this

I have evga gt610 latest drivers from windows update

now after the last updates every now and then when I play a game watch a movie in player or video on web I get this freezing and like time stretch effect when the audio of a second long lasts for 5 seconds and the mouse isn't moving all is frozen then going for a a few MSeconds freeze then a few more ms' so on some times the screen goes black then comes back with lets say explorer all messed up like transparency in the tasks area or in the menu and sometimes all is good after the freeze and some times the pc is non responsive

this never happen before the updates

I was on o.c but lowered the settings but still it happens don't know

(could it be that I changed the SSD config to reliability instead of performance ?

thanks    

Go to the website of the brand on your box and download their latest driver for the model you have(Don't go to Nvidia's site for their latest driver for the chip on the GPU)

Run this(Make sure all your work is saved, it will ask to go into Safe Made, let it).

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

As soon as you reboot into normal mode, Install the driver you just installed.

Does that solve the issue?