Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

ahhh

uhh

erm

aaaack

blah

I almost moved back to 8.1 on my new drive for this reason.

Not a fan of the new icon set I presume? Don't worry. I'm neutral on the icon set. Its the oversaturated colors that is killing me. And I'm not sure why three of the dossiers/folders needed to be blue.

Some news: If you get a new build offered in Windows Update, and you get an error or can't download it, don't worry. Microsoft messed up. A recent update let Windows Update read the list of available internal builds available only to MS. The update was KB3035129: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3035129

From NeoWin and Twitter:

When you run Windows Update, it appears to download the build and does try to install the OS update but fails every time. We are not sure if this is a bug or if Microsoft is trying to push out a new build of the OS but it's quite clear that a lot of users are seeing these builds show up in Windows Update.

http://www.neowin.net/news/after-installing-an-update-windows-10-is-trying-to-download-build-99319932

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/560726986897629185

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I always get this error for Cortana. What am I doing wrong? 

cortona is really buggy ATM. nice background by the way, Squamish chief right?

So close. it looks like a mountain not far form where I live

Yea, but it doesn't have free health care. :P

Just to proved some, I hope, useful information.

I've been running Windows10 on my old "OS tryouts" system.

Pentium 4 3.00GHz

ATI Radeon R240 1GB

2GB RAM

Old 250GB, old mechanical drive, OLD

is the significant part of the system.

As for build releases you have two option the latest or the latest that pass the tests before. You can choose which one to get from the update settings by choosing "how fast you want to get the updates". Slow - last tested version, fast - the version that is being tested now. I'm on the untested build

Fast comparison between 8.1 and 10:

- Processor wise they are more or less the same. The difference is insignificant. At least to my view, bear in mind the is old single core Pentium 4 is a single core CPU.

- Windows 10 is consuming significant amount of RAM more than the 8.1. But again you could max the 2GB in 8.1 fairly easy. However I think this is a temporary state and they'll manage to get it exactly as 8.1 is.

- The hard drive on the other hand is a component that troubles me. I use old mechanical drive it's performance is not O.K. even in 8.1 but in 10 is barely acceptable. I'm afraid, that because all the app manner of programming and the SSD power, the programmers are counting far more on fast read-write speed, than smart computing. I'm still waiting to see an app that is even barely close to the actual 32 based programs, performance-wise.

The software part there is no change. I've not seen any software that 8.1 is running and 10 refuse to.

As for the GUI they are doing marvelous job. It's not as versatile as some Linux based GUI-s, but I see how making it so customizable could be a problem for the "Regular Joe". Most people don't care if they could change the keyboard shortcuts for changing station running programs and so on, choosing you background is enough for them. I love that they actually listen to the insiders, even for the small things. For instance, even in Win8.1 if you have your taskbar on autohide and point to the corner in the area above the start button the bar will ignore this and will not bring the menu up. This is a minor thing that is easily overlooked, but after we report it in the program they fix it.

For now it's good, I just hope they made it snappy and responsive as possible, before release.

does anybody know if ASIO drivers work in windows 10? I fired up ableton live the other day the ASIO drivers wouldn't work 

does anybody know if ASIO drivers work in windows 10? I fired up ableton live the other day the ASIO drivers wouldn't work 

I know WASAPI works. I'll give ASIO a try and report back.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I have just installed it onto one of my other HDD and it was a cake walk. The installation was easy to do. I did notice one thing though. On the lock screen it tells me that my desktop has a low battery???

I have just installed it onto one of my other HDD and it was a cake walk. The installation was easy to do. I did notice one thing though. On the lock screen it tells me that my desktop has a low battery???

It's a known bug.

Microsoft has just released a new Windows Update for the latest build of Windows.

The update has the following:

XBOX Live-enabled games that require sign-in do not launch, and incorrectly display the message, "To use this app, you need to sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to download it."

The Start Menu fails to launch shortly after install

The shortcut for the new Store (Beta) does not appear on the taskbar

The user remains at the "Please Wait" screen when attempting to sign in with a Smart Card connected

Virtual machines (VMs) lose connectivity to virtual hard drives (VHDs)

Users receive Error 0x8E5E05E2 when installing apps

The system stops responding when installing apps from the Store

There is a delay when opening a new tab in Internet Explorer

The system fails to resume from sleep when connected to multiple monitors with some graphics drivers

The user is presented with the incorrect End-User License Agreement (EULA) during upgrade

The Settings app incorrectly reports that new builds are available, which return error 0x80246017 when attempting to download

The screen doesn't properly refresh after rotating between portrait and landscape

Creating a virtual machine or bringing a HyperV host under management results in error 0x80200065 - "The transfer was paused because the computer is in power-saving mode. The transfer will resume when the computer wakes up."

Windows Remote Desktop Client crashes when playing video or displaying fast moving images in a remote session

Reliability improvements for virtual machine live migrations

Reliability improvements to prevent some system crashes

Reliability improvements to prevent possible data corruption

Increased power efficiency to extend battery life

Don't like Win10 new icons, then I have some very bad news. From a leak build (10009), it looks like we are doing a return to Fisher Price style icon days from XP.

win10_icon.jpg

win10_rec.jpg

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10009-images-leak-online-shows-new-icon-updates

I'd be fun to have Windows 3.11 style icons made into modern scalable icons, including media folders.

Don't like Win10 new icons, then I have some very bad news. From a leak build (10009), it looks like we are doing a return to Fisher Price style icon days from XP.

-snip-

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-build-10009-images-leak-online-shows-new-icon-updates

I don't buy it. Look at the date in the taskbar. 3-13-2015. I don't think it was possible to time travel to the future and then post us this info a month in advance.  ;)  :P .

Other than that, look at the drive icon, for some reason it looks familiar, like it was taken from a previous Windows OS, possible XP?

Those are the previous version Windows icons:

Windows 3.1 icons:

windows31_02-11344010.jpg

Windows 9x icons:

ico_256.png

Windows Me/2000 icons:

Windows_2000.jpg

Windows XP:

commoniconsxp.gif

I hope you are right, that the leak build icons are fake.

Is there any way to hide updates in windows 10?

Not at the moment (without doing registry tweaks).

@GoodBytes I hope Microsoft are just trying to get feedback on multiple icon style sets and will settle for a Windows icon set that is similar to the Office 2013 style icons in the program itself. That is what the icons in previous Windows 10 Previews were like and I think look better, not to mention it would be consistent with Office.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

You can see the newer icons (recycle bin) present in build 10011 at 1:40 in the video.

You can see the newer icons (recycle bin) present in build 10011 at 1:40 in the video.

Yea, it is the same as the screen shot above of the leak. Very sad.

I wonder if it is to compensate for the washed out color monitors that most people use, or what's the deal here.

If they reduce the saturation, it would be a lot better.

Oh I see. No, its actually Half Dome, Yosemite National Park. A really popular rock formation in Yosemite. 

Here's Some More Info If you want!

And taken directly from OS X Yosemite...noiiice.

Is it just me or did they totally take the blue folders from Yosemite?

post-38070-0-88584900-1423804204.png

post-38070-0-88584900-1423804204.png

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So a question to all the tester here, and I am sure it has been asked, but how stable is W10?  I want to use it as a daily driver (all I do is play video games, watch videos, and browse the web), but I am not sure how well it works. 

So a question to all the tester here, and I am sure it has been asked, but how stable is W10? I want to use it as a daily driver (all I do is play video games, watch videos, and browse the web), but I am not sure how well it works.

Except that build that made explorer.exe crash almost constantly and the fact that the current build refuses to acknowledge my video drivers(making my video out to my monitor unusable). It's been very stable and I'll definitely be "buying" the retail version.

PS: Don't get the newest build if the only reason you want 10 I'd for the Start Menu. The pulled a bait and switch. The earlier Start Menus were true Start Menus. the current one is just a xml based shell that "looks" like the Start Menu.

So a question to all the tester here, and I am sure it has been asked, but how stable is W10?  I want to use it as a daily driver (all I do is play video games, watch videos, and browse the web), but I am not sure how well it works.

So far it seams stable for me. However, I haven't played games yet on it.

Currently it seams that people have problem with AMD GPUs, so if you have one, miles can vary based on the driver version and graphics card model.

In my opinion it is yet to ready for daily driver usage, but close. Maybe next build which is expected to be released end of February.