Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

I guess I will just use a disk like I have for all my other win installs!

He could try mounting the image to a virtual drive with the OS or Daemon Tools and installing it that way. Though, I don't know if you need the burned disc also, or it copies all the neccesary files to the HDD before it has to exit the OS.

It will do an upgrade. All your programs, files, and and settings will carry over. :)

Yes, the hot keys are added in the latest build, and works properly.

What's the hotkey for moving in context windows to other workspaces?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

What's the hotkey for moving in context windows to other workspaces?

Win + Ctrl + Left/Right

Using Win 8.1 pro & FAT32 did not work!

very strange. I really don't know, to be honest.

I had my share of USB drives, that is how I know what I mentioned. Never encountered this one.

I had (I lost it) the Patriot XT USB 2.0 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220504

I recall no problem with that one. I could make it bootable out of the box without issue.

Maybe because it was newer? I don't know.

Here's Build 9879 in official ISO format for those who don't want to deal with massive updates after a clean install.

Windows Technical Preview 9879 (x86) - DVD (English)

SHA1: 281F572068C869F4B5162F399C36D9DC32F12FC8

Windows Technical Preview 9879 (x64) - DVD (English)

SHA1: 9E58166123D333A76EED069FCC85A56F7E079BFD

Last update until 2015.

Im wondering windows 8.1 users is there much of a reason to upgrade based of what your using now? I looked at few youtube videos it looks the same as windows 8.1 but with there own start button and menu now.

Why should i upgrade when there seems so little difference this just seems to be for windows 7 users to 10.

If they give all 8.1 users a free upgrade ill do it honestly if they dont give it free i wont be buying it at all there is little difference and 8.1 has hardly been out and there already ditching it.

Im wondering windows 8.1 users is there much of a reason to upgrade based of what your using now? I looked at few youtube videos it looks the same as windows 8.1 but with there own start button and menu now.

Why should i upgrade when there seems so little difference this just seems to be for windows 7 users to 10.

If they give all 8.1 users a free upgrade ill do it honestly if they dont give it free i wont be buying it at all there is little difference and 8.1 has hardly been out and there already ditching it.

Windows 10 is far from complete. But so far this is what is new:

-> FLAC support (WMP and Music App)

-> MKV support  (WMP and Video App)

-> MP4 support  (WMP and Video App)

-> Windowed Metro App

-> Search Bar (probably be Cortana)

-> Continum

-> Easy Copy/Cut/Paste Select, on command prompt and power shell

-> A bit easier for IT to get an employee setup with Windows 10 system purchased by their themselves, paid by the company, system

-> Notification Center

-> New animation and icons

-> Multiple virtual desktop

-> 4x4 snap

-> improved touch keyboard

-> improved Alt+Tab

-> 8K support

That is at the end user level.. so far, and I am probably missing a few things.

-> Windowed Metro App

-> Continum

-> A bit easier for IT to get an employee setup with Windows 10 system purchased by their themselves, paid by the company, system

-> Notification Center

-> 4x4 snap

-> improved Alt+Tab

-> 8K support

-> Windowed Metro App

-> Continum

-> Notification Center

-> 4x4 snap

-> improved Alt+Tab

-> 8K support

The support for video does not affect me i use vlc and will still use it in windows 10.

Im hoping its free upgrade like rumoured to be.

The support for video does not affect me i use vlc and will still use it in windows 10.

Im hoping its free upgrade like rumoured to be.

I feel sorry for the people who had to wait for Windows 10 to get MP4 and MKV support...damn.

I'm dual booting for now, I'm using W10 just for games, but I can say that it's getting better and better :)

I feel sorry for the people who had to wait for Windows 10 to get MP4 and MKV support...damn.

You could get it before, it just wasn't native. You had to install the codecs manually, or just download a player like VLC which includes all of the codecs already.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Is anyone here experiencing issues with NVIDIA GPUs? Ever since I've gotten build 9879, I cannot get a stable driver onto my system whatsoever.

PC Specs: 

• CPU
      Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4.0GHz
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
      Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    • GPU
      EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX
    • Case
      Corsair Graphite 230T Red Windowed
    • Storage
      Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
      Dell S2409W 1920x1080, HP vs19 1280x1024
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
      Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    • Mouse
      Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse - Limited Edition Artist Series - Oh Joy
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System
      Windows 10 Technical Preview

I got it installed but it's not activating for me, any help & do I need a new key? 

I found this & it worked for me so here's the link if you all have the same thing happen:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ab124470-5ae2-43b0-b542-74485683396a/unable-to-activate-after-upgrading?forum=WinPreview2014Setup

Anyone know why Windows 10 TP capping CPU around 90%? Overclock on BIOS but Windows totally ignore user settings.

Screenshot

You sure it isn't the motherboard or CPU? What are your Power settings? What are your temps at "90%"?

He could try mounting the image to a virtual drive with the OS or Daemon Tools and installing it that way. Though, I don't know if you need the burned disc also, or it copies all the neccesary files to the HDD before it has to exit the OS.

I used Daemon Tools to mount and install.  Worked fine.  Even imported all of my files and most of my programs.  Had to uninstall Trend Micro before the installation process would allow me to continue for some reason...

In regards to the OS itself, I'm actually very impressed with the performance improvement over Windows 7.  I will note that the laptop I have it installed on is about 6-7 years old (Intel Centrino :huh: ).  It was quite sluggish whilst trying to run MS Word and Google Chrome at the same time on Win 7, but now it's actually fairly usable.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

How is driver support? 

From what i read 8.1 and 10 are quite close so mostly all 8.1 drivers work with no problems in 10 or no?

How is driver support? 

From what i read 8.1 and 10 are quite close so mostly all 8.1 drivers work with no problems in 10 or no?

Everything that Windows 8.1 support should work fine in Windows 10. You may need to run the setup under compatibility mode to pass the OS version check of the setup, but beside that everything should works fine.

Ok, I'm not sure if someone has said this before, but here we go.

If you installed Windows 10 and are using an NVIDIA graphics card, this applies to you.

If you're upgrading from a previous version (like 7) your graphics driver will break. Download a new package from NVIDIA and install it. GFE won't work, so uncheck it in the installer. Also perform a clean install. After a reboot, you'll get a message saying that the installation has failed. Don't panic! Just reboot and you'll automagically get your monitor's native resolution.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Is the Control Panel really gone and the settings integrated in the "Modern UI"? or is it like the Windows Experience rating in Windows 8.1 where the code is all there but no option in desktop... Please MS do not take the control panel. I like control. 

Is the Control Panel really gone and the settings integrated in the "Modern UI"? or is it like the Windows Experience rating in Windows 8.1 where the code is all there but no option in desktop... Please MS do not take the control panel. I like control.

The 2 world never made sense. It needs to be unified. Using the control panel with a touch device is a pain, however PC Settings, is great for both (especially that now you can run it in a window). It was talked about during Windows 8 life span that the Control Panel should and might probably disappear, or be there for only programs registering itself in (Outlook, Flash, and Java). The panel should continue to there, for legacy program support (some program start a panel for the user). So, someone COULD make an alternative control panel with great ease, if Microsoft chooses to remove the Control Panel (well move all options from Windows, from the Control Panel to PC Settings).

Only time will tell. I predict that they will. Another up side, is that currently adding stuff to the control panel is difficult, hence why many programs don't do it. But it could open doors with PC Settings, to be able to easily add via XML new sections (say program name), and add their own options, which calls the program DLL functions defined in the XML file for each. Wishful developer life thinking, of course, I doubt they'll implement should nice system, even though it is a great opportunity to do so.

You can still access and use the control panel, but it's a bit of a pain to find.  I think I searched for it using the start menu search bar and then pinned it to the live tiles thing on the side.

My problem with the PC settings is that some things are too oversimplified, like you can't fine-tune things - you basically just get options of On or Off for things.  I suppose I could get used to it, but it annoying getting used to the PC settings menu if you intentionally avoided Windows 8 and haven't dealt with it before.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

You can still access and use the control panel, but it's a bit of a pain to find.  I think I searched for it using the start menu search bar and then pinned it to the live tiles thing on the side.

My problem with the PC settings is that some things are too oversimplified, like you can't fine-tune things - you basically just get options of On or Off for things.  I suppose I could get used to it, but it annoying getting used to the PC settings menu if you intentionally avoided Windows 8 and haven't dealt with it before.

Be sure to provide your feedback to Microsoft, but I believe you'll have all the options once Windows 10 is done.

Also, I don't know why you have trouble finding the control panel, thought. Just right-click on the Start button