Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr

I don't recall a problem, I'll check tonight.

I usually disable Caps Lock on all my systems, as I hit by accident many times.

yeah turns out they do work but the lights on the keyboard don't turn on so unless I type I don't know if locks are on or off, I suspect this may be only on my keyboard is a MS sidewinder x4 though I already have the drivers uninstalled and reinstalled so if if it me only or other have the problem or just a bad luck of hardware and software can combo

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I installed Windows 10 on native hardware, it's alright so far. Though, I can't seem to figure out the keyboard shortcut for switching windows to a different workspace, anyone know?

I'm running the port of Numix theme and Numix icons, they look quite nice ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

What is the build number that Windows says at the bottom right corner of the screen?

What is the build number that Windows says at the bottom right corner of the screen?

I used a script to remove the build number watermark, is there any other way to check?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I used a script to remove the build number watermark, is there any other way to check?

Open Notepad, click on the menu bar: Help > About

It will say the version of Windows, and the Build number.

Go to start and type in winver.

Open Notepad, click on the menu bar: Help > About

It will say the version of Windows, and the Build number.

It's ver 9841, which just so happens to be an anagram for 1984, coincidence? I think not ;P

just leaving this here since its not that big of a new to have a post on its own, but MS will finally make version number equal to retail, meaning 10 is gonna be 10 and not 6.4, also they fixed the compatibility issues with 3rd party software this could have induced

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/why-windows-10-isnt-version-6-any-more-and-why-it-will-probably-work/

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It's ver 9841, which just so happens to be an anagram for 1984, coincidence? I think not ;P

You have the first version of Windows 10.

You can have Build 9860 if you want to be on the slow lane (takes more times to get a build, but the build is more stable and reliable)

Or Build 9878 if you are on the fast lane.

To get the updated build version you need to:

-> Be part of Windows Insider program (18+ age require). You can be part of the program if you register here, if you haven't yet (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview). Normally, this is the first step. If you got Windows 10 from Microsoft, you are already, if you simply downloaded the ISO from somewhere else, then no, and you need to.

-> Then once done, go to PC Settings > Update & Recover > Preview Builds

-> Click on the Download button. Do not close PC Setting panel, or change tabs section. There is no progress bar, so just wait. The download is ~2.74GB (from memory), so it will take time. You can use the computer at the same time. Once the download will be done, you'll see a button called Install show up.

-> Once done, click on the Install button.

You'll now be on Build 9860. To be on the fast late and get Build 9878, check for Windows updates.

-> Then go to PC Settings > Update & Recover > Preview Builds once more.

-> Then you'll see that it has changed a bit from before. You'll have an option to be on eh Slow or Fast lane. Click on Fast lane, and you should have the option to download the new Build. If not, you may need to reboot, and try again.

All most made a new thread for this but it's here all ready!

Anyway how do I installed Win 10 from a USB drive, never done it before?

Thank you!

All most made a new thread for this but it's here all ready!

Anyway how do I installed Win 10 from a USB drive, never done it before?

Thank you!

Obtain the disc image as usual and search Google for windows 7 usb tool. Try to avoid usb sticks large than 16 or 32gb for "reasons".

If anyone is getting starting with Windows 10. If you download it now, you jump directly to the latest Build: 9879

People on the slow ring should get the update of the new build.

People on the fast ring, you already have it. Any fixes applied to the slow ring, can be acquired via Windows Update. So simply update windows, restart, and you are good to go.

- snip -

Will any of my settings or themes break from upgrading or does it act just like and update?

Also, will I be able to move windows over workspaces with hotkeys?

So, the people on the slow ring get to experience the same "features" I've been experiencing? How fun. Isn't the slow ring supposed to be more stable, not just slower? Did they address the "features" yet?

Will any of my settings or themes break from upgrading or does it act just like and update?

I've upgraded twice and the worst that has happened is a broken taskbar, which is unrelated to themes and will just result in lower usability and stability.

So, yes, your themes will be fine, but unless you really need the features in the newest build, stick with the second preview build. That one was almost, if not 100%, completely stable.

It will do an upgrade. All your programs, files, and and settings will carry over. :)

Yes, the hot keys are added in the latest build, and works properly.

So, the people on the slow ring get to experience the same "features" I've been experiencing? How fun. Isn't the slow ring supposed to be more stable, not just slower? Did they address the "features" yet?

I've upgraded twice and the worst that has happened is a broken taskbar, which is unrelated to themes and will just result in lower usability and stability.

So, yes, your themes will be fine, but unless you really need the features in the newest build, stick with the second preview build. That one was almost, if not 100%, completely stable.

Correct. They'll get the same build as those in the fast ring.

Fast ring users got Windows updates fixing issues in this build. Those in the slow ring will have these update, so that the OS works better for them.

Correct. They'll get the same build as those in the fast ring.

Fast ring users got Windows updates fixing issues in this build. Those in the slow ring will have these update, so that the OS works better for them.

It's the same build, but with hotfixes pre-applied? I think I'll go back to slow. Thanks.

It's the same build, but with hotfixes pre-applied? I think I'll go back to slow. Thanks.

Yup.

Obtain the disc image as usual and search Google for windows 7 usb tool. Try to avoid usb sticks large than 16 or 32gb for "reasons".

I DL the tool & it dose not work for me, any help thank you! 

I DL the tool & it dose not work for me, any help thank you!

You need to have a USB drive that support booting from.

Usually the good ones have no problem. They are ways to re-partition/re-configure the USB drive to allow this, but it is to consider that some controller on the USB flash drive simply doesn't support it. Here are the instructions: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

If that doesn't work try this:

Open Command Prompt as Admin and type:

diskpartlist diskselect disk # (enter the disk number of your USB flash drive, don't get confused, look at the size in the list disk)cleancreate partition primaryselect partition 1activeformat quick fs=fat32assignexit
(it depends on the USB flash drive how it was configured, one of which above should work, assuming the controller supports booting from)

You need to have a USB drive that support booting from.

Usually the good ones have no problem. They are ways to re-partition/re-configure the USB drive to allow this, but it is to consider that some controller on the USB flash drive simply doesn't support it. Here are the instructions: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

If that doesn't work try this:

Open Command Prompt as Admin and type:

diskpartlist diskselect disk # (enter the disk number of your USB flash drive, don't get confused, look at the size in the list disk)cleancreate partition primaryselect partition 1activeformat quick fs=fat32assignexit
(it depends on the USB flash drive how it was configured, one of which above should work, assuming the controller supports booting from)

I have this drive to use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220252

And it's not showing up in my Command Prompt!

Are you on Windows XP?

If not, Try formatting the drive with Windows as FAT32. And see if it sees it now. Don't do a quick format.

Try a different USB port.

Using Win 8.1 pro & FAT32 did not work!