VGA Water Cooling: Am I good to go?

Hey guys. This is me again, this time with something more serious. I'm about to mod my Radeon HD 7970 with NZXT Kraken G10. I am getting high temps even with all the air inside the case being used only by the VGA, since I'm already using water cooling for my CPU.

Also, one of the fans is making a strange noise, a ticking, so I sense that I'll need to replace it soon anyways.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I'm good to go with the items below. Price itself is not a problem, because I can only buy in Australia, since I have relatives there right now and prices here in Brazil is way higher, if I'm able to find it first. It's hard here. And a plus, this store have everything I need.

I listed two thermal glues because I don't know which one to chose. Phobya is cheaper, but I'm more concerned about good results, so if Arctic Silver is better, I'll go with it. And if I need more glue, please, say so :)

Oh, very important. Since I'm already using the power port on my motherboard, with my CPU cooling FAN, I know that I'll need something to connect, adapt the Kraken X41 to a regular power cable. I just don't know what and how. Can you guys help me with that too? Apparently it uses two regular FAN power connectors.

1 x NZXT Kraken X41 140mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

1 x NZXT Kraken G10 GPU Bracket White

1 x Alphacool GPU Heatsinks 15x15mm Black - 10 Pack

1 x Phobya 2-Component Thermal Glue

1 x Arctic Silver Epoxy Adhesive (3.5g per part)

Total: $190.00 - @pccasegear.com 02/10/2014

Thank you guys!

The difference between the thermal paste really wont matter (like 2 degrees) but i would choose arctic silver. Why do you need those heatsinks?

The difference between the thermal paste really wont matter (like 2 degrees) but i would choose arctic silver. Why do you need those heatsinks?

Vram, maybe? I read on another thread that the fan don't get the job done properly, so I'm playing safe. I can get the heatsink later, the glue I can't find easily here.

All your links link to this thread

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

All your links link to this thread

Woot? i'll fix it when I get home, like 10 minutes from now . I used their own tool to generate bbcode. Go figure...

UPDATE: Links are now fixed! Thank you for noticing that :)

Vram, maybe? I read on another thread that the fan don't get the job done properly, so I'm playing safe. I can get the heatsink later, the glue I can't find easily here.

ok just remember the thermal glue is permanent

ok just remember the thermal glue is permanent

Well, I didn't know that, but it's not like I'm planning to go back. But it's REALLY GOOD to know that, thanks for the heads up. It was very important.

I'll first try to use it without the heatsink, if the temps don't get low as it should, I'll opt to use the heatsink, and this will be the hardest part for me, risky as shit, but I'm willing to go with water. I think those heatsink are kinda high, maybe they wont fit, and that's a concern I have. But I can buy lower ones here, since they are used for a lot of stuff, electronic stores will definitely have something that fits.

But all I need is listed, right? Am I forgetting something? I mean, I have the balls, I'll need balls, this is not something that I do everyday, and I think I have the skills to put everything together. And I'll watch hours of videos on youtube first, just to be safe. Read all manuals and whatever I can find before go all hands on deck.

I'm kinda in a point of no return, I put it in my head that I want to do it, I could replace with air based coolers, but I want to go all balls with it. Men up and put water instead.

NZXT is a good maker/brand, right?

Well, I didn't know that, but it's not like I'm planning to go back. But it's REALLY GOOD to know that, thanks for the heads up. It was very important.

I'll first try to use it without the heatsink, if the temps don't get low as it should, I'll opt to use the heatsink, and this will be the hardest part for me, risky as shit, but I'm willing to go with water. I think those heatsink are kinda high, maybe they wont fit, and that's a concern I have. But I can buy lower ones here, since they are used for a lot of stuff, electronic stores will definitely have something that fits.

But all I need is listed, right? Am I forgetting something? I mean, I have the balls, I'll need balls, this is not something that I do everyday, and I think I have the skills to put everything together. And I'll watch hours of videos on youtube first, just to be safe. Read all manuals and whatever I can find before go all hands on deck.

I'm kinda in a point of no return, I put it in my head that I want to do it, I could replace with air based coolers, but I want to go all balls with it. Men up and put water instead.

Yes, NZXT is very good.

I did a G10 mod to my EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler.  Temps went from 75C to never breaking 49C.  Fans are at a very low 60% speed.  I used an NZXT X31, 2 Fans in push/pull.  Make sure you set it to exhaust, you don't want intake for this radiator.

In terms of heatsinks, don't use thermal adhesive.  Buy thermal tape.

The best place to go for information is the OCN G10 Owner's Club, everyone will be helpful there, and you can talk to people who have that card and did the mod themselves.

Here is a list of extras that I bought:

2 Packs of Cosmos Copper VGA Heatsinks

1 Pack of Cosmos mini Aluminum VGA Heatsinks

1 Pack of Sekisui Double-Sided Adhesive Thermal Heatsink Tape

Optional: Aftermarket Thermal Compound, it often comes with the AIO Cooler, or if you have some already, if not I recommend the Gelid GC-Extreme

Optional:  VGA to PWM Fan Adapter

Depending on your card make and model, you will also need Copper Shims.  Find out the required thickness!  You can't use any ol' size, this is a specific measurement that you have to figure out.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yea you probably won't need the extra heat sinks, but if you do i would recommend thermal tape like faceman. If you have any more questions while installing it, let us know! Good luck! 

Yes, NZXT is very good...

Wow! Lots of good info there. Thank you very much.

I'll try to find someone on that forum that have the same VGA I have, see what measure they found.

I'll postpone this for a month or two. I'll buy the kraken stuff, that have bigger boxes. The adhesive stuff and heatsink I'll buy in November or December, when my uncle come from the US, this way I'll have way more options to chose.

Even though I'm not doing it now, wisely decision I think, you guys helped me a lot! I'll end up buying wrong or unneeded stuff.

As always, thank you all, every and each one of you. I'll move this discution to that other forum and post the results on both, here and there.

Thank you, thank you, thank ya'll!

If you guys want to give me more advice, they are very welcome, we don't need to stop here, any information is good information (most of the times)

Laterz