Display options for upgrade

Hendrics

So a currently have an Acer P244w 24" monitor, and have since started using my 5 year old 40" hdtv as my display solution due to space constraints.

I am getting more space soon, so I will be able to set my desk up, but when I started looking at displays, I found myself looking at HDTVs instead of traditional monitors -

I could get a very affordable 50" 60hz 1080p LED TV from newegg for $399 and continue to use it as my display, or was looking into new monitors to use on my desk, but my Acer is already 24", which I read is the best size for 1080p, but im not having any issues with using my TV at the moment (has been almost a year since using my monitor though).

I usually some simulation games, some FPS shooters (dayz, arma2/3), and Elder Scrolls online, and I find the viewing experience on the TV satisfactory. Since I already have a 24" monitor, would it be worth it to get a 27" monitor opposed to a 50" LED hdtv?

What are your thoughts on using a HDTV as a display solution for gaming?

p.s. - running AMD FX 6300 with 2x GTX 770 in SLI 

Spoiler

I wouldn't use a TV as a monitor personally but I can see how it can be usefully people. The TV would probably work fine as a monitor but you may want to put the TV into game mode in the options so that you get the less input delay. @Hendrics

Quote me to get a reply!

People will tell you "aagh there's so much lag I hate it!" but if you can't tell/don't care then it shouldn't matter. If you have been fine for over a year chances are it won't really matter.

do you think the difference in the way the picture looks would be better for a monitor? I want to get the best experience I can, without wasting too much

Spoiler

1080p is going to look like 1080p no matter if you stretch it across 20" or 80". Difference makers are panel types but considering the age of the TV you are using and you buy a newer LED TV I don't think the difference will be to much for an outside opinion to matter.

Ok cool, thanks for the input guys - now for part 2...

With the above mention system specs (AMD FX 6300 pushing 2 GTX 770s) - as if that was your current setup, which would you rather game on?

1.) 50" LED TV 60hz refresh 6ms IPS panel - or - 2.) 2x 24" 55-75hz refresh 2ms TN panels

I know peoples opinions vary wildly on the matter, but would like to hear some input on how you guys feel

Spoiler

Lowest ms delay is always best for me. Are you running the 2 screen as surround or is 1 gaming and 1 peripheral? I also prefer sitting at a desk right next to my keyboard and the monitor directly infront of that so depends on the distance as well. If the setup was a wireless keyboard/mouse or gamepad I might lean more towards the TV but if its a desk environment I'm leaning monitors.

I'd be running the 2 24's in conjunction with my existing 24 to do a 3 way surround setup (sorry, frgot to mention that) - this will be on a desk, I'm also looking at picking up a 3-monitor ergo stand to use the VESA ports on them to mount so it will be at the ideal placement -

The TV on the other hand, it would be mounted to my TV stand, and I just have a small desk w wheels right now I move around to be able to sit in front of the TV when in use, so less than ideal, but necessary right now due to space restrictions which will be changing quite soon

**EDIT - so my system now has changed from an FX 6300 to an I5 4690k, still w 2x 2gb GTX 770s

Spoiler