PS2 or USB for keyboard

MrJimmyPenguin
Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

I've ordered some usb to Ps2 adapters the other day only as I've been hearing Jerry(@Barnacules) talk about how he only uses ps2 for his keyboards.

I'm wondering if its worth me changing over my keyboard 

-Pros and Cons with each please

My keyboard currently is the CM storm Trigger with Cherry MX-red switchs and there are 2 usb ports on the keyboard (will they still work on PS2?) 

PS/2 provides infinite number of keys to be pressed at once, and also practically 0ms response time, since commands are sent directly rather then though a USB bus, chipset, etc.

However if you use a USB to PS/2 adapter, the USB hub on your keyboard will not work.

I've ordered some usb to Ps2 adapters the other day only as I've been hearing Jerry(@Barnacules) talk about how he only uses ps2 for his keyboards.

My keyboard currently is the CM storm Trigger with Cherry MX-red switchs and there are 2 usb ports on the keyboard (will they still work on PS2?) 

-Also thank you :)

PS2 has full key rollover. (Adapters don't support this)

But I've never seen a mechanical PS2 keyboard.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

-Also thank you :)

PS2 allows full N-Key Rollover. If your keyboard only plugs in with one USB cable, then no, the USB ports will not work.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

PS2 has full key rollover. (Adapters won't help)

Das Keyboard comes with a PS/2 adapter for the USB connector.  It's the only way to get N-Key rollover to work.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

Das Keyboard comes with a PS/2 adapter for the USB connector.  It's the only way to get N-Key rollover to work.

Okay. :) I have a PS2 HP keyboard. I like it, it feels really soft for a rubber dome keyboard and it's retro.

it really doesn't matter any more, what you use because USB has improved enough to allow n-key

but hey use PS2 if it means using one less USB port am i right

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

PS/2 provides infinite number of keys to be pressed at once, and also practically 0ms response time, since commands are sent directly rather then though a USB bus, chipset, etc.

However if you use a USB to PS/2 adapter, the USB hub on your keyboard will not work.

"Rawr XD"

it really doesn't matter any more, what you use because USB has improved enough to allow n-key

but hey use PS2 if it means using one less USB port am i right

USB only recently started supporting FULL n-key rollover.  Most keyboards over a year old can't do full.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

On a modern computer the only reason to go with PS/2 is to free up a couple of USB ports. Many newer mechanical keyboards do support nkey rollover these days, but even those that don't usually have 6key rollover, which is more than enough. Can you actually come up with a situation where you would need to hold down more than six keys at the same time? :)

PS/2 is not hotplug. You are supposed to turn the machine off before you plug out or plug in your device. You could damage your mobo by doing it while it is on.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

USB only recently started supporting FULL n-key rollover.  Most keyboards over a year old can't do full.

Are you sure?  The USB spec doesn't even allow/can't do for FULL n-key rollover.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Are you sure?  The USB spec doesn't even allow/can't do for FULL n-key rollover.

My two years old Quickfire TK has nkey rollover over USB. It's been a thing for a while now.

Mini Din (PS/2) is a more direct way to connect your keyboard to your system. You don't have to let everything go through the USB bus on the mobo.

It also supports NKRO.

Most keyboards will come with a Mini Din adapter. And most keyboards can run on Mini Din. Software or RGB keyboards may act up or not work properly though.

USB can support NKRO  but it usually comes with a premium as it requires alot more work to integrate it. (Ducky Keyboards)

My two years old Quickfire TK has nkey rollover over USB. It's been a thing for a while now.

nKey rollover yes, but not FULL nKey rollover.  USB at most gives you 6-8 key presses at a time.  PS/2 allows all keys to be pressed and registered.

PS2 has full key rollover. (Adapters don't support this)

No, I've seen them, but they're from the 80's and 90's.

nKey rollover yes, but not FULL nKey rollover.  USB at most gives you 6-8 key presses at a time.  PS/2 allows all keys to be pressed and registered.

lol

Its full nkey rollover... USB can do it these days.

Its full nkey rollover... USB can do it these days.

Could you provide an example of a keyboard that does it?  I honestly want to know.

Most Leopold keyboards, although outside of Korea they're hard to get,especially since Leopold generally sells them themselves. There is a couple of assorted websites which stock them, one being Mechkb.com, however that site is based in Australia and they don't ship overseas

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

@OP

I have a CM Storm Trigger, probably the same as yours with the Cherry MX Reds, and it doesn't not work over PS/2. I tried using the adapter that came with the CM Storm Quickfire XT (it works for that keyboard), and I'm pretty sure any passive adapter would probably fail as well. If you have a more advanced adapter it might work.

Anyways, I think the biggest advantage of PS/2 besides some nkro capability is that your peripherals don't lock up when your cpu locks up. Like if you're testing an overclock, your USB keyboard may get delayed (because it uses the CPU) while a ps/2 keyboard is a plain hardware interrupt.

There are many keyboards that have nkro over USB now, but some of them use "gimmicks" such as acting like multiple keyboards - and they sometimes don't work on OSX.

Could you provide an example of a keyboard that does it?  I honestly want to know.

I can think of a few, the CM Storm Quickfire Pro (you can swap between 6kro and nkro), the Corsair K70, and most Ducky keyboards iirc.

I can think of a few, the CM Storm Quickfire Pro (you can swap between 6kro and nkro), the Corsair K70, and most Ducky keyboards iirc.

I've read reviews and customer feedback on Amazon and full n key rollover on USB has to go through gimmicky ways, like you said.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  I don't think this actually qualifies as full n key rollover... :)

I've read reviews and customer feedback on Amazon and full n key rollover on USB has to go through gimmicky ways, like you said.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  I don't think this actually qualifies as full n key rollover... :)

You know what, I totally agree with you there. *hi5* I've actually been searching for a readily available keyboard that outputs true individual signals for every key over USB and I really don't think one exists... For most purposes, the ones I listed are sufficient.

Quickfire TK from CM Storm.