Which OS to get?

Xman0926
Go to solution Solved by connorpiper,

Gaming and some editing software

Windows all the way.

I know this is a personal preference, but I am really cautious about what operating system I buy for my new build. I've never used Linux an I do not want to go to the trouble and learning how to use it. Any suggestions?

Windows, OSX, Linux. 
You have 3 options.

Judging that you'll be gaming (specs wise), get Windows. Windows 10 just got announced so you can wait until you get more detail?

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Ubuntu and linux mint are very friendly they are not too hard to pick up, you can obviously have many compatibility issues with a lot of programs as a lot do not run, i would say just go with windows or try linux / ubuntu on an older pc or some thing to see if you like it

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Get windows 9 tomrrow

Windows 8.1.

Arguably the best OS for a new machine. Windows 7 is good if you dislike the layout though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Windows, OSX, Linux. 

You have 3 options.

I'm leaning on the Windows side but I cannot decide which one....

Linux Mint with Cinnamon feels very close to the Windows 7 experience...

Windows... It has the best support for applications. What would you be running?

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

For gaming. Windows is the best.

OSX has to be put on a machine made for it. (Select pieces)

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Windows... It has the best support for applications. What would you be running?

Windows all the way.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 on a secondary machine to see if you like it.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

If by which one you mean Home Premium (which nowadays is just called 8.1 without any suffix) vs Pro vs Ultimate, always get Home Premium. Pro and Ultimate come with features that are not necessary and can be achieved mostly in HP anyway with 3rd party utilities. Basically, unless you work for a business that requires the more expensive OS, just get Home Premium.

OS X FTW