Going to use Distilled Water as a coolant. I have few questions.

Hey guys! I just want to know if I need to put any additives if I'm going to use Distilled Water as a coolant?

Cause I heard that if you are going to make a loop and it consists more than one type of metal in it you have to put an anti corrosion additive, is that right?

I'm going to use a two Copper water block and two 240mm radiator with a material of Brass tubes, louvered copper fins on my loop.

Other than putting a Kill coil in it I need to know is what is/are additives i need to mix with Distilled Water :D

Thanks in advance! :)

Hey guys! I just want to know if I need to put any additives if I'm going to use Distilled Water as a coolant?

Cause I heard that if you are going to make a loop and it consists more than one type of metal in it you have to put an anti corrosion additive, is that right?

I'm going to use a two Copper water block and two 240mm radiator with a material of Brass tubes, louvered copper fins on my loop.

Other than putting a Kill coil in it I need to know is what is/are additives i need to mix with Distilled Water :D

You should probably add some form of biocide.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I use distilled and a kill coil and no anti corrosive. I have copper brass and nickel and no issues at all. You only really need an anti corrosive if you don't plan to do maintenance often or are using aluminium. 

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I use distilled and a kill coil and no anti corrosive. I have copper brass and nickel and no issues at all. You only really need an anti corrosive if you don't plan to do maintenance often or are using aluminium. 

Nice! So i guess i don't have a problem then. My plan is to change the water every 6 months, is that fine? Or should i do it more often?

I think with copper and brass you might be alright, the issue is when you have copper and aluminum.

Ah I see. Good to know! :D

You should probably add some form of biocide.

I'm going to use a Kill Coil as my biocide. :)

Ah I see. Good to know! :D

don't assume I'm right. do check. That's just what I think.

Brass already has copper in it, so I don't think they'd interact like copper and aluminum but you should look into it before you can be sure.

don't assume I'm right. do check. That's just what I think.

Brass already has copper in it, so I don't think they'd interact like copper and aluminum but you should look into it before you can be sure.

Don't worry i will! I'm looking at it right now and i found this article about it. It seems like Copper and Brass are fine together but not copper/brass and aluminum.

You can use a kill coil or you can use some PTnuke. You should be fine with just a kill coil though.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

I've had 100% distilled 0 additives and full copper/acetal besides the fittings for about a year now in one system, over a month in mine. Prepped with Primochill's Sysprep and an additional gallon of distilled. No issues so far.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

You'll be fine with a biocide only. Anti-corrosion additives are for when you're mixing other metals with aluminum. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Guys, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! Now i'm confident to use Distilled Water as a coolant. I really thought i might need anti corrosion well i guess not lol  :D