Upgrading from FX 6300 opinions

Go to solution Solved by Faa,

Yea I know that Arma 2 engine defiantly has problems, and i'm about  to invest some time into Arma 3 and want to get the best possible experience I can, and I don't know if any AMD chip can give me that, but I have no experience with Intel chips since the last one I had was a core 2 duo e8400

I want to get a decent upgrade and not spend that cash if it wont be noticeable, but some people have said that the 6300 cant push the gpu's in games?

Well every CPU bottlenecks a 770 SLI setup in Arma 3, heck even a single 770 is bottlenecked. Dayz same thing, Eso isn't any different you need lots of single core performance for that game and Intel offers up to 100% more per core performance though

ARMA-3-CPU-Benchmark.jpg

So I'm thinking of upgrading from my amd fx 6300 to an intel chip, most likely i5 series, but i'm worried about getting too much of a "side grade" and dropping a decent chunk of change.

The reason I am wanting to do an upgrade (aside from it being a year or so since my last cpu upgrade) is I think my current setup may need more power from the processor for games.

I notice some micro stutter in SOME games (something with SLI?) and just kind of low FPS in games where I believe my setup SHOULD be putting out more. Games like Arma 2 and Arma 2 Dayz mod I get around 30-35 fps in city areas, possibly dipping lower in populated areas, and also Elder Scrolls Online, getting 60ish in less populated areas and getting as low as 35 in cities. This is possibly due to poor optimization of the games graphics engines? Or as I have read, poor single core performance from AMD chips?

So the setup is as follows -

- AMD FX 6300 oc'd to 4.4ghz (water cooled by CM Seidon 120m)

- ASUS M5A99FX Pro R.2

- 16gb (2x8) Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 1833mhz

- 2x GTX 770 2GB running in SLI

- Azza Titan 1000w Power supply

- WD 600gb Velociraptor 10000 rpm

I am thinking of going with an Intel i5 4790k and an MSI Z97-G45 Gaming board, and I want to eventually move up and on into higher res gaming (currently only doing 1080p) and Nvidia Surround setups. Tell me what you guys think, would it be worth it to go up to an Intel chip? Or just get a faster AMD chip?

Spoiler

The i5- 4690K  will be perfect, the Gaming 3 or Asus z97-a will be good too

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

DayZ, and Arma 2 run like shit, because their engine is just awful. Even people with i7's are having performance issues.

As for Elder Scrolls Online, i reckon if you tried just running 1 card it'll alleviate your fps dips. I run a weaker single GPU, and an old quad and get 60fps everywhere on Ultra. Capped in CCC btw.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You need a 4670K upgrade and it will do wonders if you won the lottery, a 4670K at stock is already nearly twice as fast as the 6300 at stock, if you're lucky and you have a 4.8GHz thing damn :P

Yea I know that Arma 2 engine defiantly has problems, and i'm about  to invest some time into Arma 3 and want to get the best possible experience I can, and I don't know if any AMD chip can give me that, but I have no experience with Intel chips since the last one I had was a core 2 duo e8400

I want to get a decent upgrade and not spend that cash if it wont be noticeable, but some people have said that the 6300 cant push the gpu's in games?

Spoiler

Well every CPU bottlenecks a 770 SLI setup in Arma 3, heck even a single 770 is bottlenecked. Dayz same thing, Eso isn't any different you need lots of single core performance for that game and Intel offers up to 100% more per core performance though

ARMA-3-CPU-Benchmark.jpg

That is why Intel is looking better to me right now than ever because of the single core performance. Even over an fx 8350, its just price... *hardware budget hands, hardware budget hands*

And then moving up to native 1440p should be good to go, or downsampling. I downsampled during ESO for a bit as well as Arma 2, but I felt like the processor was really holding a lot back, especially seeing in MSI Afterburner only 20% utilization on each card... but again, shitty optimization quite possibly

Spoiler

That is why Intel is looking better to me right now than ever because of the single core performance. Even over an fx 8350, its just price... *hardware budget hands, hardware budget hands*

And then moving up to native 1440p should be good to go, or downsampling. I downsampled during ESO for a bit as well as Arma 2, but I felt like the processor was really holding a lot back, especially seeing in MSI Afterburner only 20% utilization on each card... but again, shitty optimization quite possibly

As you can see; you get better performance than fx-8350 even if you get i3.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Theyre cpu bound games. Optimization or not, do the upgrade and it'd be a day & night difference.

Well numbers don't lie, haha. Hard to believe I guess, that an i3 would beat out the high end AMD fx cpu. I've always liked AMD because of the affordable power they provide, however after careful spending and saving I can afford something a bit better now.

So now I just need to sack up and spend some money... but there's always a chance it'll go on special on newegg or tigerdirect.

Also what do you guys think of 2nd hand processors from reputable sellers on Ebay?

Spoiler

Alright, it is done! Officially purchased the upgrade this evening - I happened across a CPU / MOBO combo deal on new egg, almost like it was meant to be.

Got a bundle deal with a i5 4690k devils canyon and an ASrock Fatal1ty z97x, combo'ed out for $292 w free shipping, added in a new case and an SSD just cause!

Now to start thinking of ideas to make a media center pc out of the spare parts I will have :)

Spoiler