Corsair 900D Unforgiven - The Metallica Build

Well this is certainly worth following...!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

O.O nice work and awesome 3d renders

Character artist in the Games industry.

This is probably the most bad ass looking build i have ever seen....  Very nice metal work also!

i love this build , i also like that the fans can literally take you finger off

cliff would have been proud

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Awesome, being a huge metallica fan i approve and wish i had enough money to do this 

looks good

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850

Oh yes there is a god.  I think this was sitting in the office for two days that I was sick. I might have had a sudden recovery if I had know that it was delivered.  Everyone is showing pictures of the stupid box ! that's not what I want you to see in this picture. On top of the box is a one of a kind OverKill ring grill made just for this build  Also there is some very special mesh that I will incorporate inside the case.

dscn9843m.jpg

dscn9846m.jpg

I did a test fit on the grill so I could see what it looked like and get some pictures.  I was so excited I actually mounted the fans on the wrong side of the bracket.  I figure things out eventually he he he

dscn9875b.jpg

The Biggest Rush In Modding is taking a perfectly beautiful case just as it is and committing to cut some big ole holes in it.  Better not mess up now !  Because there are no replacement parts for this case yet I measured and cut very carefully.

dscn9943z.jpg

It came out well, This is not the final surface so I did have a little room for error.  it did require a lot of hand filing, I drilled the holes with a 4 1/2 " hole hog bit which is just a little smaller than an 120mm opening.  I miss my drill press that I lost in the divorce ? Got the girl back but not the drill press.  Ripped off again ! ha ha  don't ask  hand to forehead. I actually had smoke come out of my hand drill twice, don't fail me now !

Painted the edges of the cuts so they don't show up at steep angles.

dscn9975j.jpg

dscn9978wv.jpg

Right where it was supposed to be. whoo

dscn9993w.jpg

dscn0032q.jpg

Starting to look better. It's still an empty suit while I am waiting for parts to come in.  I have plenty to do before that anyway so I'm not in a hurry.

dscn0008t.jpg

dscn0024w.jpg

dscn0011sz.jpg

Thanks every one ! Me and Sam Are having a blast with this build. thanks again - glad to be here !

Ok I said Sam was from London. Well I think he was heavily Into the Guinness the night he did these and from the results I think I'll be buying him more in the future !

post-27204-0-79107400-1370223244.jpg

I think I just found a guy that can do the Air Brush Art for this Skelly, I really like it for the off side of the case.

post-27204-0-89213200-1370223349.jpg  

Next on my agenda was to do the thick Copper window frame.  This was a one time shot at getting this right because it takes up most of the sheet of Copper, so I cut it very carefully.  I picked up a trick from Cheapskate to square up long straight sections of material and it worked perfectly.  What I did was buy two belts for a belt sander and glued them to each side of a straight board, Screwed that to my work bench and ran it up and down the length, paying special attention to keeping it square. These Master Builders Like Cheaps have tons of tricks to deal with every situation.   

dscn0125t.jpg

I had to square up the inside also so I screwed in a second board that held the piece in place so I could sand it also.

dscn0143h.jpg

Little did I know but I was just about to get into a week of work trying to polish the frame to an acceptable level.  Back to those deep scratches I mentioned. I had already done a ton of sanding on the sheet before I made the first cut and I decided to finish smoothing the actual pieces when I got to that point.  well here I am and there are still some scratches so I started with a ruff grit to remove more material.  The problem is you create new hopefully smaller  scratches and you have to progress to finer and finer cloth only to realize that there were still some left. Grrrr after multiple cycles of this I finally got what I was looking for. 

dscn0195w.jpg

dscn0197up.jpg

dscn0174cx.jpg

dscn0162nc.jpg

This was a lot of work !  but it was well worth it to get the kind of finish that I wanted.

dscn0225v.jpg

Some of the people that have purchased Corsair 900D cases have been asking for Corsair to offer a clear window, because the smoked glass Is highly reflective.  Luckily I like to mess with things so I ordered in a precut sheet of 3/16" clear cast Acrylic to see what it looked like.  Here we go again ! the factory window sets over 12 male stubs that stick up from the window frame. The problem is that this required me to drill so close to the edge of the glass that I'd already consigned myself to the fact that I was going to crack it.  Thanks to Good quality cast Acrylic, Brad point bits and some very careful drilling I was able to do it without any Issues.  I graduated trough three drill sizes to get up to the size I needed.

dscn0252a.jpg

I do truly have to laugh. Corsair makes cases with clear windows and the people cry for colored windows. So they make a case with a beautiful smoked black window and the people want clear windows.  This falls under the category of you just can't win.  I have one other sheet In a lite bronze color that I may try?  As you will see in the pictures the clear glass also has a big reflection to it.  I actually like the factory glass and I'm not sure which I will use until I get some Hardware In the case. I just wanted something to do that didn't involve sanding or polishing for a few days he he he. 

dscn0239i.jpg

dscn0250m.jpg

The clear looks pretty reflective too. It just depends on the light in the room your in.

dscn0246jk.jpg

dscn0220i.jpg

This is where our current progress is. I'm trying to find an acceptable diamond plate and waiting for parts.  Thanks to every one for checking out our build and don't forget the great companies that support our community because some of the builds out there that we get to enjoy are only possible with the support of these great companies!

dscn0227qr.jpg

post-27204-0-79107400-1370223244.jpg

post-27204-0-89213200-1370223349.jpg

That is looking so awesome!

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

wow that case is just so awesome with all those mods!

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I wish I had this amount of time and money to make a build like this... Maybe when i get a job I will get the moeny and the experience to do it.

And i drilled 4 holes to mount a fan on the side panel and was pround well.......  :wacko:

CPU:Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition / Xigmatek gaia, Mobo:Gigabyte 970A-DS3Ram:Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1333mhz, GPU:MSI R7770 GHz Edition, PSU:Corsair CX500 500W, Case:Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition.

Simply wow,if only i have the talent and money to do this.

tumblr_mf4vi4zw441rxx2de.gif

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I almost hate seeing builds like this, simply because the sheer amount of unadulterated BADASSNESS makes me think of how bland and boring my own rig is, and how woefully untalented I am to even consider any significant modding. I can make it look clean, but nothing even remotely close the level of dedication, quality, and awesome being dumped into this, and many other builds.

I offer the most bitter, jealous, and sincere "Fantastic Job!" that any human being is capable of giving. Would sell my soul for a work of art like this.  

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

Oseirus I feel the same way when I look at other people's builds!! When we got sponsored I started looking at other builders they were supporting and thought I'm not worthy , I'm not worthy. Some of the mods out there are so complex that it's hard to even imagine how they thought it up? I just want to make the best case I ever made and keep it within my current ability level. If you enjoy modding just keep learning and you will amaze your self! Thanks so much for the kind words! I didn't even know this site existed, There are some really good people here.

I forgot to post one render that Sam did that was really good ! I don't think anyone Is ready to offer us a set of titans so when we first planned this I tried to keep it somewhat realistic on the hardware. 2 water cooled GTX 680's and an extended ATX mother board, because this case is so big you really have to use some of that real estate. Nothing is final on this but the board that was rendered is a Gigabyte Z77X-Up7 with a 3770K processor. Yes this stuff is a little dated, But we have forgotten just how powerful the hardware is these days. If your a fan boy for another brand, get them to send me some stuff ha ha. There are many good products available and I'm leaving my options open until I get to that point.

96341nvidiagtx680gigaby.png

71753metallica20gtx6803.jpg

This Is what a 900D looks like broken down flat for painting.  It took Bill Owen 50 minutes to take it apart and let's just say he's done a few cases!

corsair900dpartsdismant.jpg

OMG I'm so glad I don't have to do that for this build !