Will you try Windows 10 Tech Preview when it's released tomorrow?

I think I am personally going to try it out when it comes out tomorrow or maybe thursday. I will install it on a seperate drive. It looks SO nice to me.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

ill see if there are major complaints about it, if not ill def try it!

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Sure,VMware is there for a reason.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would, but I've already kinda shot my data cap in the leg, arm, face, foot, and dong, so I'm not gonna.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why is there no option for "I will decide after I see what other say about it"

Because that is what I would choose.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I'll wait for a bit, let all the major bugs get found and check it can fully work on my laptops hardware, then I'll install it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If I didn't need my PC to be reliable for work I would get it. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until it's an official release (or at least much closer to it).

Yes, I will test it for sure. Just considering if I want it to run on VM or an old netbook any suggestions?

I think this will be a bigger failure than Windows 8 and 8.1...  Im going to get it and see whats up, but it already looks like they are fixing things that wasn't issues to begin with.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I think this will be a bigger failure than Windows 8 and 8.1...  Im going to get it and see whats up, but it already looks like they are fixing things that wasn't issues to begin with.

I'm really interested in what you mean by "fixing thing that weren't issues" and why would it be a failure?

I'm really interested in what you mean by "fixing thing that weren't issues" and why would it be a failure?

A single example would be like how the Windows 8 apps (I assume they will just call them Windows 10 apps now) are now "built into" the desktop.  I believe that this will cause more confusion because people wont know which version of apps and programs they are using.  People didn't want Windows 8 Apps in the desktop, they wanted a more graceful change from Windows 8 Apps to their desktop apps.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

A single example would be like how the Windows 8 apps (I assume they will just call them Windows 10 apps now) are now "built into" the desktop.  I believe that this will cause more confusion because people wont know which version of apps and programs they are using.  People didn't want Windows 8 Apps in the desktop, they wanted a more graceful change from Windows 8 Apps to their desktop apps.

Awwe I see. The problem with your thought is that you are wrong. First, they call them Modern apps(modern because that is the design name just like how Aero was a design name. (use to be called Metro then changed to Modern)) or Windows store apps I believe. Second, these modern apps can open in the a window on the desktop OR full screen just like windows 8. So, the reason why they did this is to make it easier for keyboard and mouse and you can have your Modern apps running right next to your regular .exe desktop, windowed apps. If you switch to a tablet mode where you don't have a keyboard, it will switch automatically to the start screen interface and full screen modern apps from the desktop.

I'll get it tomorrow and try to install it on a VM. :)

this, this is how i will do it. throw it in VM see how it runs, if it seems good then maybe consider buying it three months after launch

I think I am personally going to try it out when it comes out tomorrow or maybe thursday. I will install it on a seperate drive. It looks SO nice to me.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

It's not coming out tomorrow, or thursday. they say it will be "later this year" 

Im in college now and i need m laptop to be reliable so unfortunately no. It looks promising tho!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

It's not coming out tomorrow, or thursday. they say it will be "later this year"

Through MS insider program, tomorrow they will be releasing the preview.

Awwe I see. The problem with your thought is that you are wrong. First, they call them Modern apps(modern because that is the design name just like how Aero was a design name. (use to be called Metro then changed to Modern)) or Windows store apps I believe. Second, these modern apps can open in the a window on the desktop OR full screen just like windows 8. So, the reason why they did this is to make it easier for keyboard and mouse and you can have your Modern apps running right next to your regular .exe desktop, windowed apps. If you switch to a tablet mode where you don't have a keyboard, it will switch automatically to the start screen interface and full screen modern apps from the desktop.

They are never referred to as "Modern Apps", they call them "Windows 8 Apps" or "Apps for Windows".  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps-windows-store-tutorial

Second, Im going to use Skype as a example because it is a example that is easy to demonstrate.  People don't want to be able to use both editions of Skype side by side, instead people want to use one or the other 99% of the time then the 1% of the time they want to use the different version they want this transition to be fluent.  You want the Skype for Windows 8 App to just quickly answer a call or send someone a message, but you want the Skype Desktop Client for when you are orchestrating group conversations or something a little more demanding.

Another great example would be the Facebook App.  The clear advantage of a Facebook App is a quick way to pull up 1-2 post that you wanted to see (maybe your looking up a recipe someone posted a while back, because the Windows 8 search is awesome and built into the apps).  But you probably wouldn't want to use the app to upload and edit a bunch of photos or videos from the latest concert you went to.

The point that I am trying to make is that each of these styles has their place in the world, and Microsoft is muddying the water between the two.  I truly feel like the original divide between Windows 8 Apps and Windows Programs was there on purpose, so the user understands the difference between the two.  What I think it didn't do well was ensure that the two worked together (like the two examples I have just explained).  And I feel like this mesh of the two will do more harm that good because it will cause users to be confused between what they can/should do with each one.  Users like people on this forum, aren't the ones I'm worried about.  I'm worried about people like Linus' mom, which make up about 88% of the available dollars in this market.

Spoiler

I'm still trying to figure out why its called Windows 10 instead of 9. I must be missing something.

They are never referred to as "Modern Apps", they call them "Windows 8 Apps" or "Apps for Windows". http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps-windows-store-tutorial

Second, Im going to use Skype as a example because it is a example that is easy to demonstrate. People don't want to be able to use both editions of Skype side by side, instead people want to use one or the other 99% of the time then the 1% of the time they want to use the different version they want this transition to be fluent. You want the Skype for Windows 8 App to just quickly answer a call or send someone a message, but you want the Skype Desktop Client for when you are orchestrating group conversations or something a little more demanding.

Another great example would be the Facebook App. The clear advantage of a Facebook App is a quick way to pull up 1-2 post that you wanted to see (maybe your looking up a recipe someone posted a while back, because the Windows 8 search is awesome and built into the apps). But you probably wouldn't want to use the app to upload and edit a bunch of photos or videos from the latest concert you went to.

The point that I am trying to make is that each of these styles has their place in the world, and Microsoft is muddying the water between the two. I truly feel like the original divide between Windows 8 Apps and Windows Programs was there on purpose, so the user understands the difference between the two. What I think it didn't do well was ensure that the two worked together (like the two examples I have just explained). And I feel like this mesh of the two will do more harm that good because it will cause users to be confused between what they can/should do with each one. Users like people on this forum, aren't the ones I'm worried about. I'm worried about people like Linus' mom, which make up about 88% of the available dollars in this market.

Now that is a good example. Before you just said these apps are going to be only in desktop but it will be on both.

On the naming, the apps were originally called metro-style apps. MS couldn't use the word metro to describe their design so they instead called it "modern design" and so people started calling their apps "modern apps" but their official name is "window store apps" but people also call them "mobile apps" "window 8 apps" or "touch apps" but I prefer "modern apps" because it goes along with their name of their design and sounds nicer in my opinion. Call the store apps IDC.

You're right. It doesn't make sense to use those apps unless they are just as functional as the websites or desktop clients. Skype app sucks as a modern app right now. I do how ever like using the email app though its probably not as dynamic as outlook desktop app. I love the weather app though and the calculator app functions just as well as the desktop app. It just doesn't run on the desktop. I could totally just use the windows store calculator app if it ran in the desktop.

I think people would use the store apps over a desktop way if it made it easier or faster to use such as the Netflix app or a twitter app on the desktop when they use the desktop. Only if I was using only a touch device would I use some of the modern apps right that I just wouldn't otherwise on the desktop like the Skype app.

Now that is a good example. Before you just said these apps are going to be only in desktop but it will be on both.

On the naming, the apps were originally called metro-style apps. MS couldn't use the word metro to describe their design so they instead called it "modern design" and so people started calling their apps "modern apps" but their official name is "window store apps" but people also call them "mobile apps" "window 8 apps" or "touch apps" but I prefer "modern apps" because it goes along with their name of their design and sounds nicer in my opinion. Call the store apps IDC.

You're right. It doesn't make sense to use those apps unless they are just as functional as the websites or desktop clients. Skype app sucks as a modern app right now. I do how ever like using the email app though its probably not as dynamic as outlook desktop app. I love the weather app though and the calculator app functions just as well as the desktop app. It just doesn't run on the desktop. I could totally just use the windows store calculator app if it ran in the desktop.

I think people would use the store apps over a desktop way if it made it easier or faster to use such as the Netflix app or a twitter app on the desktop when they use the desktop. Only if I was using only a touch device would I use some of the modern apps right that I just wouldn't otherwise on the desktop like the Skype app.

It was a official name change.  http://redmondmag.com/articles/2012/11/01/microsoft-changes-metro-name.aspx  They were called "Modern Apps" for all of 6 months, then the first major Windows 8 Update changed that.  You can call it what you want, cause I don't care as well, I just want people to know there is a official name for it. 

Second the Windows 8 Skype App isn't really that bad.  Most of the apps on the Windows Store aren't that bad, and bad apps have nothing to do with the OS but everything to do with the developers.  This is one thing that Steve Ballmer did better than anyone, he was able to keep developers making great programs.  Be it yelling at them over and over, or just buying them and doing it himself.  The problem is people see this divide and it scares the shit out of them because they don't understand it.  Android and iOS had a advantage here because it was 100% new and people started from the ground.  With Windows, Microsoft did not have this luxury.  People already knew how to "get to Facebook" (as my mother would say), and when that process changed (even if it was for the better) people AUTOMATICALLY assumed it was for the worse.

DOORS!!!  DOORS IN MINECRAFT!!!

And us #PCMasterRace people could afford to take a page from Apple's playbook here.  The reason why Mac OSX and iOS are 2 different OS's across 4 platforms is simple: "Users do not expect to do the same things on different form factors, so there for they do not need programs that do the same thing."  This is why we need Apps AND Programs.  Your not going to want to do 25 person conference calls with Skype on your phone with a app, that is something you do at the office in a desktop client.  Your not going to want to upload and edit a 100 photo album to Facebook on your phone, you will want to do that via their website or something.  Now you might want to receive a Skype conference call on your phone, and you might want to upload all 100 pictures via your phone.  But each has their own place.

Us as users just need to understand what they are needed for.  Just because we can play Crysis on our phones, doesn't mean it would be fun.

Like my original post said, I think this is trying to fix more problems than was actually there.  Was there improvements, yes.  No doubt!  But I don't think it was nearly as bad as 95% of the people was making it out to be.  To address this issue of using the calculator app, something like that should open up on the far left or right of the screen and (probably) should be allowed to drag to enlarge.  This is where I think developers could be given more power and it be taken away from the user.  Allow the maker of the app to set a specific start mode.  Another example, Netflix should probably always be full screen.  And if you, as Netflix, could make it where it suits YOUR needs so YOUR customers get the best experience, then that is awesome.

Regardless, at least this dude is intelligent with the convo and I look forward to more threads in the future where likeminded people can hash it out.

Spoiler

I'm still trying to figure out why its called Windows 10 instead of 9. I must be missing something.

Windows Vista = 6.0 

Windows 7 = 6.1

Windows 8 = 6.2

Windows 8.1 = 6.3

Windows 10 = 6.4

Spoiler

I'm still trying to figure out why its called Windows 10 instead of 9. I must be missing something

As M$ rebuilt it form the group up they felt they changed to much for it be classed as windows 9, and wanted to jump to 10.

Google does this with android, small jumps then jumps to the next number on a big  release.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´