Alternative to the iPod...listening to music?

equippedbum

any smartphone ^^ ANY!

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Sandisk Sansa lineup, microsoft zune, somy mp4 players... There are a lot you just need to see how much you want to spend and availability.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Zune

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Zune

lel

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

He asked for a good alternative

Whatever man, you're just a hater 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

5$ mp3 player makes sound too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Depends how much music you have. You could use your phone though. Basic MP3/4 players could also work, really depends on how much u wanna spend

My system: CPU: i5-4670k CPU-Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Ram: 8GB Kingston HyperX fury (red) SSD: Samasing 840 EVO 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Windforce Case: Fractal Define R4 windowed PSU: Corsair CX 600W Semi-Modular OS: Windows 7 Home Premium.

Laptop: Dell Laptop - Some crap i5 and 8GB of DDR3 ram. OS: Duel Boot - Windows 8 & Ubuntu! 

Almost any phone phone today.  All smart phones function as music player and even some cheaper phones will as well.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

tho really, get a Samsung galaxy S phone they all have great dacs them them :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Almost any phone phone today.  All smart phones function as music player and even some cheaper phones will as well.

yea, phones have done music since years before the smart phones

tho really, get a Samsung galaxy S phone they all have great dacs them them :P

Actually they have some of the worst. I forgot who showed me the graph but they're on the bottom.

Any apple phone iphone 4s or older has a fantastic audio setup on there.

Actually they have some of the worst. I forgot who showed me the graph but they're on the bottom.

Any apple phone iphone 4s or older has a fantastic audio setup on there.

you better go out on the internet then, because the ONLY info on the internet on phones and sound hardware places these phones at the top.... (that google can find, i should add)

dont want this taken in a wrong way, please do get something up on the internet about this because whenever i thought that maybe i should actually buy a phone i want to know the audio quality for music and i find NOTHING... :/

you better go out on the internet then, because the ONLY info on the internet on phones and sound hardware places these phones at the top.... (that google can find, i should add)

Without looking too hard this is what I can come up with.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/iphone-vs-rivals-audio-tests/

I know it's not the latest models but this is where I drew my information from.

Without looking too hard this is what I can come up with.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/iphone-vs-rivals-audio-tests/

I know it's not the latest models but this is where I drew my information from.

good read there, thanks, tho id rather get the FiiO then a Iphone :P, if it wasnt for having to have a bag, i would take my mini PC and my Sound Blaster X-Fi HD :P

You know i think it's impossible to get away from using your phone these days but damnit I need something with a good amount of space and good battery life which most phones don't have.

It's all depends on the budget really. If you wanna go crazy, there's even an audio player tagged at $2600, the Astell & Kern AK240, price at amazon. It doesn't even play video, audio only....

It's all depends on the budget really. If you wanna go crazy, there's even an audio player tagged at $2600, the Astell & Kern AK240, price at amazon. It doesn't even play video, audio only....

I don't think that player is even good.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

You know i think it's impossible to get away from using your phone these days but damnit I need something with a good amount of space and good battery life which most phones don't have.

Just take your music files and turn them into 80kbps OGG on Foobar. It sounds ridiculously good and takes up ridiculously small amount of space. Mp3 at low bitrate is very bad. It's just well-known, so everybody uses it.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Was wondering what's a good alternative to the iPod for listening to music?

I am partial to Cowon, they've been making high quality audion players just about as long as everyone else.  I had there iaudio U2 and so far nothing portable that I have listened to has come close the the sound quality I got out of it.   

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-iAUDIO-Video-Audio-Player/dp/B00DE14T9U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412114352&sr=8-3&keywords=cowon

1 Timothy 1:15

I don't think that player is even good.

The features are good, that's for sure. 

- Aircraft grade metal casing (duralumin, whatever that is)

- Stereo, optical (same jack as stereo, but when plugged with an optical cable, it becomes optical), 'true' balanced out (with all the hot and cold signal)

- Native DSD player

- 256GB internal + max 128GB external = max 384GB

As for the actual sound comparison, and whether or not all that thingamagic justify the price, well, that's completely subjective. Lots of my friends still open-jawed shocked when I tell them my headphone is $300, because their standard (for non audio lover) is in the $10-$50 range. So I'm guessing I'm in their shoes now, I'm the one that's open-jawed shocked seeing a guy carrying a $2600 portable audio player :)

It's not subjective if you fail a blind test.

Looks clunky, interface looks meh. If I'm that hardcore, I'd just strap O2/odac with my cell phone and it'd have better sound quality (although still imperceptible). It's a $2600 player with lots of memory. Memory for what? Lossless files when Mp3 or other superior codecs exist?

On the go audio for lossless when they can't even pass an abx at the best of times with their best gear on Foobar at home, but now it makes a difference outside where there are noises from the outside environment? (Even with in-ears, the outside noise bothers me way more than the super-high noise floor on my cell phone... in fact, I can't even hear the noise floor once music starts playing and people outside start talking.) Add in features that don't do anything... Balanced? For what?  Lol.  Duralumin is an alloy of aluminum. Optical, for what? This isn't a PC, there are no ground loops. Hope the optical cable doesn't get damaged outside. The only thing that's cool with the player to me is the memory size, which I don't need because I can't even fill up 2gb of space on my cruddy cell phone because OGG compression is so ludicrously good.

For that price you can buy a laptop with O2/Odac that sounds better... Unless of course, the entire argument rests on the fact that spending $3200 on a player is worth it if it takes up less area than an ultrabook. Many things are subjective, but some opinions are more ridiculous than the rest (like wanting your steak well-done).

10 bux says that most people who buy it do so for sound quality, not really for features or to save space.

Just take your music files and turn them into 80kbps OGG on Foobar. It sounds ridiculously good and takes up ridiculously small amount of space. Mp3 at low bitrate is very bad. It's just well-known, so everybody uses it.

Oh so more faf and still you have the battery life issue.