MSI or ASRock Fatal1ty (both Z97) MoBo...which one?

So, I've been hunting for a good motherboard for about the price range of $130-$140 USD. The options have so far been narrowed down to the MSI Z97-G45 Gaming MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130771&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

and the ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer (bleh, silly flashy name):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Both have their pros and cons, ima just wondering what the general consensus is for both here. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Eccentricity is the new sane!!!

MSI

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I LIKE TURTLES...i mean, i like asrock, i was told its the cheap brand of ASUS, you know like Volks to Audi. #justmy2cent

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

while i like msi having an msata i'd go for asrock. haven't had any issues with mine generally seem well made and because i have a deep hatred for MSI after a project i did with GPU and their gpu had the heatsink epoxied to the heatsink, which i had to remove and clean. deep hatred. took 2 days of slow grinding and polishing. screw them. never again.

In this case definitely the fatality

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I LIKE TURTLES...i mean, i like asrock, i was told its the cheap brand of ASUS, you know like Volks to Audi. #justmy2cent

That's a misconception, Asrock doesn't belong or belonged to Asus, they just used to work with the same company  back in 2002 that now is partially owned by Asus; they were never the same or had deals between them.

I'd pick the asrock mobo from those 2.

MSI gaming, hands down!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Ah, so it seems the ASRock is the general winner. Would it matter if I put in which CPU and GPU I'd be using?

If so, the XFX D-D 280x and the i5-4690 (not overlocking).

if you wont overclock, shouldn't you get a non-overclockable board? like h87 i think. 

Ah, so it seems the ASRock is the general winner. Would it matter if I put in which CPU and GPU I'd be using?

If so, the XFX D-D 280x and the i5-4690 (not overlocking).

no it won't matter, but if you are not looking for overclocking or using dual graphics cards you should save your money and go with an H97 motherboard instead.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

if you wont overclock, shouldn't you get a non-overclockable board? like h87 i think.

H97 since he plan on using an haswell refresh CPU.

OP i'd suggest you take a look at this motherboard:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah97gaming3

ANd BTW about the two Z97 motherboard you proposed the MSI was hands down the better pick because it support SLI while the other one don't and has a ton of features the asrock can only dream of...i can't see how the other kids have missed this one.

H97 since he plan on using an haswell refresh CPU.OP i'd suggest you take a look at this motherboard:http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah97gaming3ANd BTW about the two Z97 motherboard you proposed the MSI was hands down the better pick because it support SLI while the other one don't and has a ton of features the asrock can only dream of...i can't see how the other kids have missed this one.

Hmm, alrighty, I'll check it out.

Also, I don't really plan to do SLI. I'd prefer just to buy a single, dedicated GPU.

Hmm, alrighty, I'll check it out.

Also, I don't really plan to do SLI. I'd prefer just to buy a single, dedicated GPU.

in that case an H97 motherboard will suit you really well since you go with a non K CPU you'll need none of the extra features found on more expensive Z97 motherboards.

H97 since he plan on using an haswell refresh CPU.

OP i'd suggest you take a look at this motherboard:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah97gaming3

ANd BTW about the two Z97 motherboard you proposed the MSI was hands down the better pick because it support SLI while the other one don't and has a ton of features the asrock can only dream of...i can't see how the other kids have missed this one.

merci de me corriger! très apprécié! pis vite de meme, quelle feature MSi offre que Asrock n'as pas? 

Probably. I'm guessing that using a z97 with a non-"K" series CPU would either be quite overkill or provide a good many incompatibility problems? Yes, no, maybe so?

Probably. I'm guessing that using a z97 with a non-"K" series CPU would either be quite overkill or provide a good many incompatibility problems? Yes, no, maybe so?

Not incompatibility problems, but just no need for the extra features as you won't benefit from them without overclocking.

Z97 ships with features such as overclocking functions, better CPU power delivery (for overclocking), support for dual GPU's (not all board but most of them).

From the informations you've given to us none of these features are of any interest to you that's why you should not even consider a Z97 motherboard.

Z97 ships with features such as overclocking functions, better CPU power delivery (for overclocking), support for dual GPU's (not all board but most of them).From the informations you've given to us none of these features are of any interest to you that's why you should not even consider a Z97 motherboard.

Ah, I see.

In that case, would this MoBo do well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130787&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

MSI Gaming 5 board is rock solid and best price to performance I feel. Kinda bias since.. you know.. I do rock one myself...

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card