HDD dropped from ~1 meter and not working

ZoneSix
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Yeah, sounds like you'd need to send it to a data recovery service.

Be aware though that such an undertaking is usually pretty expensive,

so it's only really worth it if you really need that data.

Hello everyone! My 1TB Hitachi hard drive fell about 1 meter from a table. Luckly it was powered down and in a external case. I was extremely worried though that my +900gb worth of data and backups we're all long gone, because I was aware how delecate hard drives are. I plugged it in and it started spining up. Once it spun up, the head tried to read from the disks. Unforunaly it makes some kind of high pitch noise and it's emitting beeps. And it does not show up in bios or disk manager. This is how it sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2jcjlwyreyc846/Video%202014-09-30%2018%2002%2030.mov

If anybody is familiar with that paticular problem, please tell me if there's anything I can do about it myself or if I'm better of sending it to somebody who can recover the data from the disks.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone! My 1TB Hitachi hard drive fell about 1 meter from a table. Luckly it was powered down and in a external case. I was extremely worried though that my +900gb worth of data and backups we're all long gone, because I was aware how delecate hard drives are. I plugged it in and it started spining up. Once it spun up, the head tried to read from the disks. Unforunaly it makes some kind of high pitch noise and it's emitting beeps. And it does not show up in bios or disk manager. This is how it sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2jcjlwyreyc846/Video%202014-09-30%2018%2002%2030.mov

If anybody is familiar with that paticular problem, please tell me if there's anything I can do about it myself or if I'm better of sending it to somebody who can recover the data from the disks.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you've caused physical damage to the reading head -- knocked it out of alignment or something....You'll need to send it out. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Might be dead... You might want to contact some data recovery professionals to get your data back...

Thanks in advance!

it sounds like your read and write head is dislodged otherwise you f'd unless you have an identical drive lying around

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

The only way that I know to get the data off is taking the HDD to a data recovery; where they take the drive apart and have to find the identical HDD and make a new HDD to get the data off.

Yeah, sounds like you'd need to send it to a data recovery service.

Be aware though that such an undertaking is usually pretty expensive,

so it's only really worth it if you really need that data.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

The only way that I know to get the data off is taking the HDD to a data recovery; where they take the drive apart and have to find the identical HDD and make a new HDD to get the data off.

yes if the data is not hat important than that is the option

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Thanks everyone! Seems like I'm sending it to a data recovering service then. Oh well time to gather some money :(

You could have saved so much money if you had that data backuped on another drive. Your first priority should be to buy 2 drives this time :/