Using a OnePlus One off-contract

So I just got a OnePlus One invite, and as a teenager still in highschool without a job I can't exactly support a phone with a contract yet, nor will my parents pay for the phone service. My old iPod Touch 4th gen is wearing out and in need of replacement, and I wanted to go with Android since, in my opinion, it is superior to iOS. I have heard that you can use Android phones without them being activated to a service plan, but I couldn't find any documentation if it worked with the OnePlus One. I really want to get this phone since the pricing is better than any other smartphone out there for the specs that it has, but I need to know if I can go ahead with my plan and use a One without it on a service plan. Anybody out there know? Thanks

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

so you want a tiny tablet? because it wont be able to call or text and no 3-4g internet either :/  so its a small weak 5x times more expensive than other tablets "phone"

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

so you want a tiny tablet? because it wont be able to call or text and no 3-4g internet either :/  so its a small weak 5x times more expensive than other tablets "phone"

Absolutely. Since I have wireless internet basically everywhere I go, and since I already use cell phone services on my old iPod Touch using wifi, it isn't a bad deal in my opinion. Plus, once I get a sustainable job, I can hopefully get it on some sort of service plan since I would already have the phone to use the service with. 

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

So are you using the OPO as an android media player or as a phone on PAYG? It'll probably work, as you can use them without a sim card in, like the demo ones in phone shops, but I've never tried it myself.

On the OPO forums, there is a thread to do with what networks the OPO will work with, so if you can use it on your network, you'd probably be able to go to your provider and ask for a microsim (if you don't already use one) with your current number (not sure if they offer it where you are). It may cost you a little bit , but it'll allow it to work as a full phone.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Absolutely. Since I have wireless internet basically everywhere I go, and since I already use cell phone services on my old iPod Touch using wifi, it isn't a bad deal in my opinion. Plus, once I get a sustainable job, I can hopefully get it on some sort of service plan since I would already have the phone to use the service with. 

¨sounds legit to me :)  

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

So are you using the OPO as an android media player or as a phone on PAYG? It'll probably work, as you can use them without a sim card in, like the demo ones in phone shops, but I've never tried it myself.

On the OPO forums, there is a thread to do with what networks the OPO will work with, so if you can use it on your network, you'd probably be able to go to your provider and ask for a microsim (if you don't already use one) with your current number (not sure if they offer it where you are). It may cost you a little bit , but it'll allow it to work as a full phone.

Android media player. 

Edit: Actually, more like limited use android phone, since I would actually use it mostly like a phone with a service plan, just without having phone access everywhere. I would use it mainly for texting, some phone calling, email, music, twitter, youtube, and basic computer away from computer tasks like web browsing.

Android media player.

Why not use it as a phone on PAYG? just curious.

You'll probably be able to use it as a media player, but no guarantees.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Why not use it as a phone on PAYG? just curious.

You'll probably be able to use it as a media player, but no guarantees.

Don't have the continuous funds to do that yet. I work as a soccer referee on the weekends, but other than that I have no job so supporting a phone plan right now is not possible, but maybe later. That's why I want an android phone to replace my iPod so I can have the option of putting it on a plan in the future.

Don't have the continuous funds to do that yet. I work as a soccer referee on the weekends, but other than that I have no job so supporting a phone plan right now is not possible, but maybe later. That's why I want an android phone to replace my iPod so I can have the option of putting it on a plan in the future.

Can't you use it outside of a contract? so just top it up when you need credit? I can understand your reasoning however, as I have an old iPod touch (2nd gen) and it's not holding up anymore (30 minute battery life).

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Can't you use it outside of a contract? so just top it up when you need credit? I can understand your reasoning however, as I have an old iPod touch (2nd gen) and it's not holding up anymore (30 minute battery life).

I don't know if you could or couldn't, but either way that isn't what I want to do right now. I want to replace my ipod with a non-activated phone in hopes that I can possibly use it as a working cell phone later.

I don't know if you could or couldn't, but either way that isn't what I want to do right now. I want to replace my ipod with a non-activated phone in hopes that I can possibly use it as a working cell phone later.

Okay, I get what you're saying.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Okay, I get what you're saying.

So, do you know if this is feasible or not?

So, do you know if this is feasible or not?

It should be doable, I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially when you see devices in phone shops working on the internet without a sim.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

It should be doable, I don't see why it wouldn't work, especially when you see devices in phone shops working on the internet without a sim.

Thanks. Think I'm gonna go ahead and do this. Oh boy.

@

Just get this $30 T-mobile plan. Comes with 100 minutes (you can circumvent this), unlimited texting, and 5GB of 4G/LTE with unlimited 2G after that.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212983-the-30-unlimited-everything-kind-of-wireless-plan-that-you-should-have/

EDIT: Just realized that you're going to use the phone on no wireless network. Whatever floats your boat, but if you need a wireless plan to get started, I say go with the one I linked.

COMIC SANS

The display is great but idk about it being a mini tablet... Personally i thought a 5.5 inch phone would be big for a long time (coming from g2 and before that nexus 4) but you really get used to the size and find ways to use it with one hand.. after some time its normal to you.

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

The display is great but idk about it being a mini tablet... Personally i thought a 5.5 inch phone would be big for a long time (coming from g2 and before that nexus 4) but you really get used to the size and find ways to use it with one hand.. after some time its normal to you.

And that's kinda what I was expecting. Obviously going from 3.5" to 5.5" is a HUGE jump, but after a while you should get used to it. And especially for I want to do with it, the larger screen size and resolution should be more of a blessing to me than a curse.

@

Just get this $30 T-mobile plan. Comes with 100 minutes (you can circumvent this), unlimited texting, and 5GB of 4G/LTE with unlimited 2G after that.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212983-the-30-unlimited-everything-kind-of-wireless-plan-that-you-should-have/

EDIT: Just realized that you're going to use the phone on no wireless network. Whatever floats your boat, but if you need a wireless plan to get started, I say go with the one I linked.

This actually looks pretty attractive. Once I get a job this actually looks like something I might do. Where I live T-Mobile has pretty crappy service, but for a plan more built for texting that shouldn't be to much of a problem. And, when I have internet, which is most places I go, I could just use google hangouts for making calls and save on my minutes in that way. Thanks!

What about pre-paid sim cards, if you are unable to get a contract for now

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8