Project Minivalidus an X99 NCASE Build.

d33g33

In.

Just read through your R4 build. Totally inspiring. I have an R4 and would love to do something unique in it. I'm not as into DIY as I should/could be, but there are still some fantastic ideas throughout that thread that I could tap into. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this build in the coming year.

In.

Just read through your R4 build. Totally inspiring. I have an R4 and would love to do something unique in it. I'm not as into DIY as I should/could be, but there are still some fantastic ideas throughout that thread that I could tap into. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this build in the coming year.

Wow thanks!

The R4 was an interesting one. I literally just put a tape measure across its width and height and though, why can a huge ass rad go in there, the rest was history.

This build will go through stages, there will be a little mod to start with and then it will be built so I can use it for a month or two, then its getting taken apart and the real fun will begin :)

KwXvacZ.jpg

Hi everyone, so pretty much all the core components are in!

Sit back, here's a few photos for you!

So the CPU, an Intel 4790k, Vietnam made. I will be benching this, then delidding and lapping the CPU and then retesting. I'm looking forward to these results.
If you've seen 1 CPU box, you've pretty much seen em all.

uKDQdhR.jpg

UK75MFM.jpg

EEzeMQS.jpg

Next the motherboard! Its an Asus Z97i-Plus. I kinda wish they did a Pro/Deluxe like what they did with the Z87 series with the big power delivery but really, I guess it doesn't matter. (I could have got a Z87 but that colour scheme, Yuk!)

vhHmcYn.jpg

itoUW2w.jpg

roVCzup.jpg

Unboxed goodies! I know people have put the wireless antenna on the back panel in the NCASE but i'll probably go with external antennas when required.
jAKb9UD.jpg

Decent looking board, the little colour is much better than the VERY Yellow/Gold of the Z87
ESiwm99.jpg

Pretty standard IO, PS2 port is nice to see on an mITX board.
JJlcDRp.jpg

Asus
hShuNr6.jpg

Power Delivery
SBFpQzc.jpg

6Yd2ZYb.jpg

16gb 1866mhz Dominator Platinums, so unnecessary, really when you think how closed in the PC will be but, I got them really cheap from the US compared to Australia and just knowing they are in there, damn they look good.
mU1RAXr.jpg

z64LYz1.jpg

Hello my pretties
4qrK4H0.jpg

sFfqb9y.jpg

Will get the light bars for these as well next time I visit the store.
lOquDgs.jpg

OwO88h3.jpg

Wx4r8O0.jpg

lOquDgs.jpg

Storage will be a 512gb Crucial M550 M.2 Disk. This is still a Sata 6 disk so it wont be the fastest disk ever but it will be plenty fast enough. Really I went M.2 so I can mount it to the underside of the motherboard, perhaps inconvenient placement but very space saving and, no sata power/data cabling!
F72f0yI.jpg

89woMgZ.jpg

Nice and small :)
VyTFeTO.jpg

Finally for this post is the PSU, a Silverstone SX600-G. It isn't getting the best reputation at the moment with some noise on start up, hopefully I am lucky and don't have the issue, If I do i'll hack in a workaround.
omhY3GC.jpg

IbOEtGC.jpg

fQRS7ZJ.jpg

Unboxed
diJBClJ.jpg

vv9vfP7.jpg

TK7vpcN.jpg

Fan almost looks like a mini Gentle Typhoon
KTCmJCB.jpg

Mod-u-laaaaaaar
QDxHeM7.jpg

Silverstone
bJjq2ys.jpg

So its the height of an iPhone 5C
wiZM6BL.jpg

The width of an iPhone 5C
wiYmG6Y.jpg

and about 1 3/4 in the length of an iPhone 5C
WInVxpY.jpg

That's probably enough for now, :) I have the mouse and keyboard left, I am waiting to see what the pricing will be on the Dell U3415

Thanks for stopping by :)

Wow, that's a really small PSU

And what's "Some noise on startup"?

If it's just some whirring up i'll be disappointed, people seem to get worked up over such silly things

Edit: Dat standard pinout

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Wow, that's a really small PSU

And what's "Some noise on startup"?

If it's just some whirring up i'll be disappointed, people seem to get worked up over such silly things

Edit: Dat standard pinout

it seems as it starts to warm up it incrementally adds voltage to the fan, but the minimum voltage is less than what the fan requires to spin so it gets 1v, 2v, 3v, 4v, 5v (starts spinning) etc and while its stepping up in voltage people are reporting little *chirps* it literally sounds like a bird chirping

Made some .gifs of MY Ducky Legend. :)

Explode

dIRyexA.gif

Fade

6YouKRj.gif

Why doesn't my G710+ have these lighting modes?!?! RMAing it to get a Shine 3 or a Legend :) 

P.S: Cool tattoo bro ;)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

The keyboard looks really nice!
How audible is the chirping sound on the PSU? Sounds loud in the videos but that seems to be the mic being close to the fan. Would you still recommend it for a mini itx build?
And lastly, where do you buy your components from? Australian based stores?

Wow thanks!

The R4 was an interesting one. I literally just put a tape measure across its width and height and though, why can a huge ass rad go in there, the rest was history.

This build will go through stages, there will be a little mod to start with and then it will be built so I can use it for a month or two, then its getting taken apart and the real fun will begin :)

I wish Koolance made a 240 version of the 360 fan shroud. That would allow me to use a thicker radiator in the R4 without experiencing clearance issues. Do you think it's worth upgrading to an R5 for the same job?

Also, I'd love an m.2 SSD for the same reasons: less cable clutter.

Why doesn't my G710+ have these lighting modes?!?! RMAing it to get a Shine 3 or a Legend :)

P.S: Cool tattoo bro ;)

Thanks, theres a few hours in it.

post-28719-0-55617500-1418909164.png

The keyboard looks really nice!

How audible is the chirping sound on the PSU? Sounds loud in the videos but that seems to be the mic being close to the fan. Would you still recommend it for a mini itx build?

And lastly, where do you buy your components from? Australian based stores?

Normally I buy everything from PCCG unless there is a big difference. In this case CPL was $15 cheaper on the mobo.

I bought the GPU, CPU, Mem and M.2 disk all off Amazon this time around. The CPU, Mem and M.2 disk were all each $100 cheaper than here in Aust (without altering for exchange rate and taxes) the GPU was nearly $300 cheaper! ($860AUD and $580USD) I've probably saved $300 buying stuff from the US this time around though I dont like doing it for warranty purposes.

I havent actually powered on my PSU yet so I cant tell. Depending on your power draw requirement and case size I would fit the SX500-LG if you could.

Oh dude that tattoo is so much more awesome now I've seen the full thing :D 

With buying from amazon are the shipping prices to Australia reasonable?

Oh dude that tattoo is so much more awesome now I've seen the full thing :D

With buying from amazon are the shipping prices to Australia reasonable?

I was lucky a mate was coming back from the USA and brought the GPU for me, but the CPU, Mem and M.2 was like $15? I'm not sure if thats because I was on a free trial for Prime though.

I was lucky a mate was coming back from the USA and brought the GPU for me, but the CPU, Mem and M.2 was like $15? I'm not sure if thats because I was on a free trial for Prime though.

I see. Perhaps I should look into buying from amazon

Made some .gifs of MY Ducky Legend. :)

Explode

Fade

Damn. that keyboard is cool. Funny that you have got that though. I only recently got my Ducky shine 3 through... our builds continue to match!

Colour tattoos are much better looking and artistic in my eyes. I know they cost more and take longer, but it's your body, money should be a question.

Colour tattoos are much better looking and artistic in my eyes. I know they cost more and take longer, but it's your body, money should be a question.

Only thing you got to watch out for is the quality of the colour tattoo, I've seen some turn the colours into other different colours and it does not look good afterwards...

The most noticeable one I've seen is white accents turning into a light green... not pretty.

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

Only thing you got to watch out for is the quality of the colour tattoo, I've seen some turn the colours into other different colours and it does not look good afterwards...

The most noticeable one I've seen is white accents turning into a light green... not pretty.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I've watched Buzzfeed's posts on tattoos that have colour and they look stunning, but that's all I know. I recognize this is a very rudimentary and simple way to look at tattoos so I don't mean to offend, but most tattoos to me are little more than macho displays. I like to see more eye for detail and class.

Anyway, I'm going too off topic.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I've watched Buzzfeed's posts on tattoos that have colour and they look stunning, but that's all I know. I recognize this is a very rudimentary and simple way to look at tattoos so I don't mean to offend, but most tattoos to me are little more than macho displays. I like to see more eye for detail and class.

Anyway, I'm going too off topic.

Yeah, doesn't matter, most people see tattoos as macho display, but some of the people that have tattoos made them for a reason, mostly a memo for a special someone or moment in their life. others it's... just another way to show their manly insecurities.

So I completely agree with you. 

[/offtopic]

So a large part on why this project is taking so long is we are moving house. Everything was packed up for house inspections while we sold, now we have sold but we are 3 weeks away from moving into our new place.

Everything is packed up and all the photos thus far I have literally needed to go and pull every light, the camera and lenses and tables and set them up and then  pack it all away again,

I wanted to get it at least tested as soon as possible as working off a little laptop is killing me but i've just realised I dont have access to a study desk, tressel table or dining table which is making things really difficult.

yesterday i thought stuff it I'll build it on the kitchen bench if I have to and after finally finding the test bench buried in one of the many boxes I found this. Buggered if I know how as it was all wrapped up in bubble wrap (this test bench was custom cut and is 1 of 2 in existence) Something has leaked in some how and looks like its eaten away at the acetel/delrin, so pissed off right now... Ill fill it and cover it in plastidip still but man, I just want to get into the new house and get a proper, permanent setup again.

Pics of the damage

lJrel4l.jpg

JMVBkBx.jpg

Wow... I'm really sorry for you man, that sucks...

Just some pictures of the Test Bench :) This is just the raw cut Delrin, it will get a coat of plastidip shortly.

Op89kUi.jpg

GRx6KwW.jpg

ON58iIC.jpg

VIAT8Iv.jpg

And all the parts ready to go together

74lkA1f.jpg

The building is near!

Shame the testbench got damaged, it looks really nice.

I'd kill for something like that, but i'm too cheap lol

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I'm in a real funk about which monitor to get for this PC.

AOC have 1440p Ultrawide that uses the LG panel for $950, or you can get a Dell 27" IPS 4k panel for $899. Really not sure which way to go.