1 x 2tb Drive or 2 x 1 tb (in RAID 1) Drive for a NAS?

Blueprint

Thinking about buying a NAS enclosure and was wondering what's the best configuration? Should I put two 1tb WD Red Drives in RAID 1 or have 1 2tb drive and then upgrade to another 2tb drive later on and put those in raid 1? Would I need RAID 1 for my drive/s when I first get them or would they last long enough (half a year or so) so I can add another and put those in RAID 1? 

Thanks.

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

western digital drives typically last for years, very few, to the abused drives get a short life span. 
if your going to buy a second 2 tb drive in a year may as well start with the bigger drive. 

Personally, for consumer use, i wouldn't bother with a Red id go Black or if only used seldom a Green. Its just Red drives are ment for constant use ware n tear, on that note it sure aint gunna die on you any time soon. 

The only issue you may find is if in 3 years you need more storage, could you ever add a 3rd drive and raid5 or a 4th drive and raid10? if not the 3tb or 4tb drives are there. 

NAME: HAF Satlite MOBO: ASUS Maximus Extreme-Z IV CPU: i5 3570K 4.4GHz 1.256V GPU: ASUS 1080Founders RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 1600MHz 7-8-8-24 PSU: EVGA 750W Gold STORAGE: 1TB Samsung Evo | 4x4TB WD Green Raid10 OS: 10 x64 Pro COOLING: Custom 360rad CPU under water soon GPU too

NAME: Node Box Server MOBO: Intel DB55SB CPU: i5 750 GPU: ASUS 560DC OC 1GB RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMP 1333MHz PSU: Coolermaster 1000W Bronze STORAGE: 90GB Corsair FORCE Jails| 5x4TB WD Raidz2 60GB Corsair Force Cache OS: Freenas COOLING: Back to Stock

Hey there Blueprint,

As @FlashingKool_Z mentioned, WD Red drives should last much more than half a year without issues or bad sectors in NAS environments as they are equipped with NASware and TLER.

Depending on your storage space needs and your budget, you could go either way. If you plan to definitely upgrade in the future, I would recommend getting 1x2TB and a separate external drive for backups of your important data until you get your second drive and put them in RAID1. Do have in mind that RAID1 offers redundancy but it is not a backup as if you NAS fails, there's a high chance that both your drives will fail too and you won't have a backup.

@markes12344 has a good point on using the drives. While WD Red are designed for NAS/RAID environments, WD Black and WD Green would also do the job, depending on what you will be using that NAS for. If you'd like to share how the NAS device would be used, we would be able to give you some advice on how to proceed with the drives. :)

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Blueprint,

As @FlashingKool_Z mentioned, WD Red drives should last much more than half a year without issues or bad sectors in NAS environments as they are equipped with NASware and TLER.
Depending on your storage space needs and your budget, you could go either way. If you plan to definitely upgrade in the future, I would recommend getting 1x2TB and a separate external drive for backups of your important data until you get your second drive and put them in RAID1. Do have in mind that RAID1 offers redundancy but it is not a backup as if you NAS fails, there's a high chance that both your drives will fail too and you won't have a backup.

@markes12344 has a good point on using the drives. While WD Red are designed for NAS/RAID environments, WD Black and WD Green would also do the job, depending on what you will be using that NAS for. If you'd like to share how the NAS device would be used, we would be able to give you some advice on how to proceed with the drives. :)

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

Thanks,

Yeah, it will be used for video, music and general file storage. I will be backing up folders across the internet to another house across the country, so fixing the drives will be a bit of an issue if one does fail.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Thanks,

Yeah, it will be used for video, music and general file storage. I will be backing up folders across the internet to another house across the country, so fixing the drives will be a bit of an issue if one does fail.

Well, If you are planning on streaming those, WD Red would be the most secure thing. If it would be just for general storage and occasional backup, I would say WD Green would do the job for you just fine.
Either way, since you'd be far away, I'd suggest monitoring the health of those drives more regularly just to make sure you won't lose any valuable data.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

Well, If you are planning on streaming those, WD Red would be the most secure thing. If it would be just for general storage and occasional backup, I would say WD Green would do the job for you just fine.
Either way, since you'd be far away, I'd suggest monitoring the health of those drives more regularly just to make sure you won't lose any valuable data.

Captain_WD.

Ok thank you. You've been very helpful. :)

You are welcome :)

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Captain_WD.