AORUS X3 Plus

I don't know. I think desktop monitors are making the case for windows to fix the scaling issues eventually. In the meanwhile, for such a small laptop screen, a really good ips 60hertz 1080p screen, would have been suitable, even kill the 6GB's of VRAM. Maybe would have freed some money to fix the off feeling keyboard, add a du-dad to make a more rigid hinge (really it was shaking like crazy while you were typing on it,) and frost the blatantly fingerprint magnet trackpad. When you see laptops like this thermal throttle, like crazy when off charge, it makes you wonder, why they wouldn't just do what they had to do to make a good experience, and do what they know they can do well (1080p gaming) instead of topple all these things that were just sort of unnecessary in this thermally limiting form factor.

Actually, I can tell you that touchscreens suck just by having an account on these forums, Linus.

Touchscreens belong on content consumption toys like tablets, not powerful laptops.

The back of this laptop reminds me of ASUS G750. I still prefer the G750 over the current $3000 price point personally.

Not a bad laptop at all, the thermal performance is quite good than I expected. Although I prefer something 15 inch or bigger since smaller display with high resolution doesn't appeal that much to me

Spoiler

I wouldn't take it over the Razer Blade but it's impressive still. Very well featured, especially in the i/o department. Build quality seems to leave a bit to be desired. Not a fan of that screen flex but since I'm coming from workstation/prosumer class computers the fact that it bugs me isn't really surprising.

Hi Linus, great review but do you think you could start telling viewers if these laptops have GPU's that use MXM upgradable slots or if they are soldered to the MB. Also if CPU's are upgradable or soldered too.

It's a pretty big deal for laptop geeks like me and is a deal breaker if I'm going to drop a whole bunch of cash on a laptop that has its hardware that's nailed to the floor. 

Just some constructive feedback. Keep up the great work!

that fan noise is annoying and is a deal breaker imo 

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Wh Wh Wh What????

A few years ago Asus had a series of gaming laptops made in collaboration with Lamborghini. It's pretty good they stopped it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Linus, nice review.  I just don't know that I agree with you on the necessity to have such a massive resolution in such a tiny space.  The Kindle Fire, for example, had a 1200p resolution in one of last year's models.  That resolution is absolutely fine for that screen size.  This year's model has a 1600p resolution, which is completely unnecessary.

If the goal is to encourage Microsoft to fix the scaling problem in Windows, what manufacturers should do is sell 1440p or higher resolution monitors at a small loss and make the money that through other products or partnership deals.  Desktop use is where high-resolution monitors really make sense.  On a small laptop screen, not so much because the PPI is already so high as it is.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

if she can run Tomb Raider (at 3k), she "is a good buy"  ^_^

The ONLY thing I really do not like (other than fan noise), and why I won't buy a new laptop just yet... 

I would like a lightweight small laptop such as this but with 32GB capability.

I MOSTLY use my current laptop for work and I have virtual machines I run concurrently.  I can do with 16GB fine today, but I plan to keep my new workstation/gaming laptop for at least 4-5 years.  Basically, I don't want to settle for 16GB if I can help it.

So, for me it is either the nextgen Dell Precision laptop Workstation due out sometime middle of next year (the current gen is a pig size laptop, but still a beauty, and I love the old gen m6500 I have now)...  BTW... @LinusTech  would be cool if you review the m6900 next year if at all possible.

...or I wait for what is around the bend.  

I'll keep waiting

I MOSTLY use my current laptop for work and I have virtual machines I run concurrently.  I can do with 16GB fine today, but I plan to keep my new workstation/gaming laptop for at least 4-5 years.  Basically, I don't want to settle for 16GB if I can help it.

I have a similar use case - and I love using my X3 plus as a work machine. 16GB is enough to run a few VMs and the striped RAID SSDs are seriously quick, so spinning up and down additional VMs is pretty darn fast to do in a pinch.

It's also worth noting ( and I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere ) that you can drive 3 displays with it ( I have 2x 1080p 27" desktop monitors + the Aorus display. You could run that at 1800p, but the OSs aren't very good at scaling multiple displays independantly, so I run all 3 at the same res. )

I also have a dual boot with Ubuntu, which runs flawlessly out of the box ( unlike Blades, which had various issues )

The downside, as noted here, is the fan noise ( running eclipse temporarily causes a small hurricane at startup, which you may not want in an office environment ), but under normal operation it is silent.

Cheers,

=elz=

That screen looked awfully wobbly as he was simply typing on it....

That screen looked awfully wobbly as he was simply typing on it....

The screen won't wobble at all if it's on a desk, but if you are bouncing it around on your lap then it will rock about a bit for sure ( about 1cm travel distance ).

The screen won't wobble at all if it's on a desk, but if you are bouncing it around on your lap then it will rock about a bit for sure ( about 1cm travel distance ).

At 5:46 in Linus' video, he's typing while it's on a table. The screen is moving pretty visibly.

At 5:46 in Linus' video, he's typing while it's on a table. The screen is moving pretty visibly.

It's sliding around on the desk there ( and yes, as stated earlier it will wobble quite a bit if the chassis moves ). But just typing with it on a solid desk, you won't notice any screen wobble ( it is planted quite firmly on rubber feet.

• 4 weeks later...

is there any battery optimization software provided so that it can stop charging all the time?

• 9 months later...