calling out android lovers and apple haters

warmmilk
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

anyway... help?

Try this: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-your-icloud-contacts-your-android-device

Hopefully it helps :).

so I decided to try android after all the apple hate all over and how all of apples "new" features are old on android (not seeing that btw)

lets start with something easy, can someone tell me how to transfer my contacts from my iphone 5s to my nexus 5?  I have a gmail account signed in on both phones, both set to sync contacts.  also tried this method

http://www.googlenexusforum.com/forum/nexus-4-roms/4383-how-get-your-contacts-your-iphone-onto-your-android-nexus-4-a.html

but i'm not getting the google contacts option.  this one might be apple's/itunes fault but i'm gonna blame it on android cause its gmail and thats google and android is google and i'm hating on android right now cause its pissing me off...

anyway... help?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

how all of apples "new" features are old on android (not seeing that btw)

I can help you with that:

iPhone:

No sd card slot to date (it's sold for 1k$ in some configs, bare that in mind)

No 1080p until the 6 plus, android phones have had that for a couple of years and some are moving on to 1440p, especially on larger screens

Just now adding larger screen variants while android has had those for 3 years now

1gb of ram, there are way cheaper phones with 2gb and others with 3gb (contrarily to what some people think, fluidity has almost nothing to do with this, ram is used for multitasking, video playback and games)

Dual core cpu (fanboys will tell you it's faster than android quad cores, it's a lie: they perform close and sometimes the iphone performs a bit better in apps that only support one or two cores, but in multithreaded apps the iphone gets utterly owned)

No removable battery to date

I remember when landscape pictures were introduced to the iphone as a great novely, guess what, 8 year old nokias had that function.

There, hopefully that made it clearer :) welcome to a world of freedom and value!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I can help you with that:

iPhone:

No sd card slot to date (it's sold for 1k$ in some configs, bare that in mind)

No 1080p until the 6 plus, android phones have had that for a couple of years and some are moving on to 1440p, especially on larger screens

Just now adding larger screen variants while android has had those for 3 years now

1gb of ram, there are way cheaper phones with 2gb and others with 3gb (contrarily to what some people think, fluidity has almost nothing to do with this, ram is used for multitasking, video playback and games)

Dual core cpu (fanboys will tell you it's faster than android quad cores, it's a lie: they perform close and sometimes the iphone performs a bit better in apps that only support one or two cores, but in multithreaded apps the iphone gets utterly owned)

No removable battery to date

I remember when landscape pictures were introduced to the iphone as a great novely, guess what, 8 year old nokias had that function.

There, hopefully that made it clearer :) welcome to a world of freedom and value!

well I have a Nexus 5 so lets see how it compares

no SD card on the Nexus 5

apple had retina display, which is pixel smaller than the eye can see.  I really don't care about resolution past that cause I can't see it anyway... so its just a drain on battery life.

I was a fan of the smaller phone, the only reason I decided to try android is cause the iphones are big now too.

I'll give you the ram. but at the same time I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned on my 5S (till I updated to iOS8)

same answer as above for the cpu.  this could also have to do with how I use my phone... I don't really do anything intensive with it... its a phone, not a computer...

no removable battery on the Nexus 5.  Also, from my experience (I've had every iphone from the 3gs to the 5s) and battery life doesn't die down much with prolonged use, I've never had an issue where I needed a new battery.  That being said, you can buy special tools to take the phone apart and change the battery, or you can find someone on CL to do it for you.

not sure about the whole landscape picture thing... must have been before the 3gs, before my iphone time...

I guess maybe I misunderstood.  I was under the impression the "new apple / old android" features thing was refering to software and UI

and thanks to @QueenDemetria I'm not pissed at android anymore...  I'll see how I like it after a couple weeks and then decide if I'm gonna keep it or get an iphone 6

well I have a Nexus 5 so lets see how it compares

no SD card on the Nexus 5

apple had retina display, which is pixel smaller than the eye can see.  I really don't care about resolution past that cause I can't see it anyway... so its just a drain on battery life.

I was a fan of the smaller phone, the only reason I decided to try android is cause the iphones are big now too.

I'll give you the ram. but at the same time I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned on my 5S (till I updated to iOS8)

same answer as above for the cpu.  this could also have to do with how I use my phone... I don't really do anything intensive with it... its a phone, not a computer...

no removable battery on the Nexus 5.  Also, from my experience (I've had every iphone from the 3gs to the 5s) and battery life doesn't die down much with prolonged use, I've never had an issue where I needed a new battery.  That being said, you can buy special tools to take the phone apart and change the battery, or you can find someone on CL to do it for you.

not sure about the whole landscape picture thing... must have been before the 3gs, before my iphone time...

All you say about the nexus 5 is true, it's far from perfect as well and honestly the missing sd card slot and removable battery (that's not for the sake of repair, but so that I can have a fully charged battery in my pocket to put in the phone if the stock one runs out of charge when I need it. Sure, usually it lasts long enough, but it's always useful to have the option) are huge turn-offs for me, that's why I usually recommend an LG G2 instead. But the main fact about the nexus 5 is that it's less than half the price or an iphone. Let's be clear, the iphone is NOT a bad phone in general; however, it is a terrible phone for the price. "enough" won't cut it when you're asking for 1000$. If it's not a computer, don't price it like one, am I right? As for the screen, I convene that 1440p is probably an exaggeration, however 1080p is a standard meaning that it won't suffer from scaling (more on that in my description if you're interested) and it will look sharp even if I keep it close to my face as I would when watching a movie. Again, a lower resoluton is perfectly acceptable, but not for that price. If it's priced with the best, it had better be the best. The landscape pictures featurewas implemented with the 5 if I recall correctly, and it ws old news for anyone but apple users.

I'll add that if you don't do anything intense with your phone, yu should probably stick with the 5s if you already have one... what's the point of an upgrade? Or if you have a nexus 5 now, keep that, the iphone 6 really doesn't do anything worth mentioning more than the nexus.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

All you say about the nexus 5 is true, it's far from perfect as well and honestly the missing sd card slot and removable battery (that's not for the sake of repair, but so that I can have a fully charged battery in my pocket to put in the phone if the stock one runs out of charge when I need it. Sure, usually it lasts long enough, but it's always useful to have the option) are huge turn-offs for me, that's why I usually recommend an LG G2 instead. But the main fact about the nexus 5 is that it's less than half the price or an iphone. Let's be clear, the iphone is NOT a bad phone in general; however, it is a terrible phone for the price. "enough" won't cut it when you're asking for 1000$. If it's not a computer, don't price it like one, am I right? As for the screen, I convene that 1440p is probably an exaggeration, however 1080p is a standard meaning that it won't suffer from scaling (more on that in my description if you're interested) and it will look sharp even if I keep it close to my face as I would when watching a movie. Again, a lower resoluton is perfectly acceptable, but not for that price. If it's priced with the best, it had better be the best. The landscape pictures featurewas implemented with the 5 if I recall correctly, and it ws old news for anyone but apple users.

I'll add that if you don't do anything intense with your phone, yu should probably stick with the 5s if you already have one... what's the point of an upgrade? Or if you have a nexus 5 now, keep that, the iphone 6 really doesn't do anything worth mentioning more than the nexus.

I still maintain my stand on resolution.  if the pixel is to small for my eye to see, then I'd rather have less pixels and better battery life.  I mean at that point its really just a spec on paper...  whats the point of having higher res and less battery life if your eye can't see the difference?  maybe you have super human vision or something... personally I have very good vision (by human standards) and I can't see the individual pixels on my 5s.  but this is just my opinion...

do you mean panoramic pictures when you say landscape by any chance?  cause I've been able to take landscape pics with every iphone I've had...

I'll only go back to an iphone if I still don't like the android UI after a couple weeks.  UI is more important to me on a phone than hardware specs as long as hardware isn't complete crap.  And I'd never pay $1000 for a phone... its much cheaper to by it with contract... I'm not a stickler for paying a huge premium just to have a phone out of contract...

anyway... I need more help.  is there a way to get rid of standard google apps (google drive, play music, etc) I don't use?  or am I stuck with them like with some of apple's app's that are of no use to me?

update:

I now despise google

if I switch back to iphone (and right now its looking likely), it'll be because of google's accounts BS

anyway... I need more help.  is there a way to get rid of standard google apps (google drive, play music, etc) I don't use?  or am I stuck with them like with some of apple's app's that are of no use to me?

update:

I now despise google

if I switch back to iphone (and right now its looking likely), it'll be because of google's accounts BS

You can remove those apps but only if you root the phone. You can use this tool, it will do it for you. https://towelroot.com

Not sure what you mean with the account, but if it has something to do with google+ you can remove that too when the phone is rooted. You could go for a nokia if you really can't stand google.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can remove those apps but only if you root the phone. You can use this tool, it will do it for you. https://towelroot.com

Not sure what you mean with the account, but if it has something to do with google+ you can remove that too when the phone is rooted. You could go for a nokia if you really can't stand google.

this

https://17897260011935924126.googlegroups.com/attach/c0159dc1e9ab2efe/google_account.png?part=0.1&view=1&vt=ANaJVrFRs60rCCI4Ym1kssaWHZfTZqnFyuQ-s3gDlHykG_rY5CE8n23mMx7OEWw6kh9wZJCc5SvKt1Lb4bOvYigxSaTJ0JqXzg2IneM--cSzrhOs4TDMubU

(this isn't me, this is a screen shot from one of many threads on google groups saying its impossible to change or remove)

I think I'll pass on rooting... knowing me I'll break my phone somehow... 

I'm most likely gonna go back to iphone.  It feels like I need to be a programmer to get anything the way I want it on android

I think I'll pass on rooting... knowing me I'll break my phone somehow... 

I'm most likely gonna go back to iphone.  It feels like I need to be a programmer to get anything the way I want it on android

Read a bit into towelroot, it's as easy as installing an app and running it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Read a bit into towelroot, it's as easy as installing an app and running it.

have any suggestions on what exactly to read?

what about cyanogenmod?  is it a version of rooting or is that something else entirely?

have any suggestions on what exactly to read?

what about cyanogenmod?  is it a version of rooting or is that something else entirely?

Here's something about towelroot: http://www.shoutpedia.com/towelroot-v1-released-download-links-guide/

cyanogen mod is a custom version of android that can be installed after unlocking the bootloader and rooting the phone. It requires the bootloader to be unlocked (I'm not sure towelroot does that, however be aware that unlocking the bootloader usually voids the warranty) but it has very little to do with actually rooting the phone.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Here's something about towelroot: http://www.shoutpedia.com/towelroot-v1-released-download-links-guide/

cyanogen mod is a custom version of android that can be installed after unlocking the bootloader and rooting the phone. It requires the bootloader to be unlocked (I'm not sure towelroot does that, however be aware that unlocking the bootloader usually voids the warranty) but it has very little to do with actually rooting the phone.

does rooting the phone give my anything besides the ability to delete the undeletable apps?

does rooting the phone give my anything besides the ability to delete the undeletable apps?

yes, you can use some apps that otherwise wouldn't work. Many of these are very useful. Once you have root access you can do basically whatever you want with your phone, if you know how (for most things there are tutorials online)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*