Cheap laptop for school work and light gaming?

RubyRoks

I've found this on newegg and thought it was okay for the price, but i'd like to either get something more powerful, or something with touchscreen in the same price bracket ($400 USD). I'd like for it to be lighter and thinner than the monstrous G750JZ due to backpack size and shoulder strength constraints, but it doesn't need to be 'ultrabook' thin. Anybody have some suggestions?

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

One thing I would suggest, stay away from Acer and HP, they both have shitty build quality, and HP is pretty much known for problems with their cooling systems.

I'm just gonna stalk this thread hoping for something that may interest me to come up as I am in need of a laptop for school work and light gaming too. (I already have a gaming rig for when I'm at home)

(I prefer asus, and lenovo, would prefer it to come in black!)

Suggest you follow the thread so you know when someone replies!

@TheQRoks

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

One thing I would suggest, stay away from Acer and HP, they both have shitty build quality, and HP is pretty much known for problems with their cooling systems.

I'm just gonna stalk this thread hoping for something that may interest me to come up as I am in need of a laptop for school work and light gaming too. (I already have a gaming rig for when I'm at home)

An acer is known for problems with everything they have. Seriously, I have had 3 laptops and had to replace parts on every single one. Including one for my sister. I literally rebuilt the whole laptop on one I had. Replaced the motherboard, battery, screen, keyboard, heatsink and hard drive after owning one for a year. I highly advise staying away from acer, they're cheap for a reason.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Suggest you follow the thread so you know when someone replies!

@TheQRoks

following it anonymously. And Acer and HP have actually stepped their game up quite a bit since i last had issues with them. My friend has an HP touch notebook that serves her well and is still in rather good shape after about a year of negligent care at best. As far as acer, i give you the S7, one of Linus' fave notebooks(as of his review

Acer C720 Chromebook ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lulz for school, that'd work. But where's my minecraft? :P

if you could go up to $800 I'd recommend the Lenovo Y40. I have one, and it's a beast.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

if you could go up to $800 I'd recommend the Lenovo Y40. I have one, and it's a beast.

I'm already doubling my potential budget with $400, but i'd like to have a sick machine like that. What's the battery life like on that thing btw?

I'm already doubling my potential budget with $400, but i'd like to have a sick machine like that. What's the battery life like on that thing btw?

For just word processing and basic school stuff, 5-8 hours.  For lightweight gaming (on the Intel IGPU), about 2 hours.  You can game on battery with the R9 M275, but it throttles if you're not plugged into a wall (not enough power output from the battery).

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30