Possible dual boot.

TheKDub
Go to solution Solved by scaryjam823,

I've been considering dual-booting windows 9 tech preview once it comes out tomorrow along side my current copy of windows 7.

Any suggestions for when/if I do this? either I create a partition of my current hard drive and use it on there, or I use a virtual machine which probably would be a better, safer option.

Just use a vm, will be a lot easier and quicker. Less hassle when you go to take one of the OS off as well. Unless you plan on gaming the vm will work fine, you can't use your gpu in a vm unless your motherboard or processor supports something (forgot what that something is but went through that trouble when I used windows 8 in a vm, couldn't figure out why my gpu wouldn't show on my vm)

I've been considering dual-booting windows 9 tech preview once it comes out tomorrow along side my current copy of windows 7.

Any suggestions for when/if I do this? either I create a partition of my current hard drive and use it on there, or I use a virtual machine which probably would be a better, safer option.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just use a vm, will be a lot easier and quicker. Less hassle when you go to take one of the OS off as well. Unless you plan on gaming the vm will work fine, you can't use your gpu in a vm unless your motherboard or processor supports something (forgot what that something is but went through that trouble when I used windows 8 in a vm, couldn't figure out why my gpu wouldn't show on my vm)

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Just use a vm, will be a lot easier and quicker. Less hassle when you go to take one of the OS off as well. Unless you plan on gaming the vm will work fine, you can't use your gpu in a vm unless your motherboard or processor supports something (forgot what that something is but went through that trouble when I used windows 8 in a vm)

Alright, hopefully the VM goes fine.

Any suggested software for it? I plan to just use Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Alright, hopefully the VM goes fine.

Any suggested software for it? I plan to just use Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Oracle is what I use, has always worked fine for me. Used it for linux and windows 8, setting it up can be a little aggravating if you never done it before, sometimes anyways. But other than that it has worked fine for me, handy having two monitors with it too. Used windows 8 on the right and windows 7 on the left for a bit. :P

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Oracle is what I use, has always worked fine for me. Used it for linux and windows 8, setting it up can be a little aggravating if you never done it before, sometimes anyways. But other than that it has worked fine for me, handy having two monitors with it too. Used windows 8 on the right and windows 7 on the left for a bit. :P

I've used it plenty before :P

I'd absolutely love to have two monitors, currently the only way for me to achieve that is if I dug up one of the CRTs we have laying around.... (Hoping to upgrade from my 23" not even 1080p monitor to a 27" 1080p or 1440p monitor!)

I've used it plenty before :P

I'd absolutely love to have two monitors, currently the only way for me to achieve that is if I dug up one of the CRTs we have laying around.... (Hoping to upgrade from my 23" not even 1080p monitor to a 27" 1080p or 1440p monitor!)

I had four at one point, but I moved and can only use two where my current desk is. My tv got moved farther away and I need a longer hdmi cable, my other monitor I don't have room to wall mount it. My solution is either buy a bigger desk or move my "office" to a better spot. But for now I'm back to only two. I plan on getting 3 27" 1440p monitors before too long, I can't wait and I would buy at least two if I were you. The amount of time I have saved and the productivity that has increased is insane when I went with two monitors. Now if I use a laptop I struggle because it can't fit everything the way I need it too with just one screen. :P

I had four at one point, but I moved and can only use two where my current desk is. My tv got moved farther away and I need a longer hdmi cable, my other monitor I don't have room to wall mount it. My solution is either buy a bigger desk or move my "office" to a better spot. But for now I'm back to only two. I plan on getting 3 27" 1440p monitors before too long, I can't wait and I would buy at least two if I were you. The amount of time I have saved and the productivity that has increased is insane when I went with two monitors. Now if I use a laptop I struggle because it can't fit everything the way I need it too with just one screen. :P

I used to use my laptop along with my samsung syncmaster 225bw until it broke, productivity was insane compared to when I just used my laptop screen, once I get a controller board I will be able to use my laptops monitor with my desktop. (Perhaps stick it behind the case window and do some cool designs with it, or strap it to the side panel for a lan party so I don't have to carry a monitor around with me :P)

I used to use my laptop along with my samsung syncmaster 225bw until it broke, productivity was insane compared to when I just used my laptop screen, once I get a controller board I will be able to use my laptops monitor with my desktop. (Perhaps stick it behind the case window and do some cool designs with it, or strap it to the side panel for a lan party so I don't have to carry a monitor around with me :P)

You could always shoot for something like this with it. :D

If I had the skills, tools, money and talent I would seriously try making one. It wouldn't be hard to add a battery either....Who am I kidding, if I had money I would try it regardless of the rest just because even if it doesn't look as good. It would still be awesome. :D

You could always shoot for something like this with it. :D

If I had the skills, tools, money and talent I would seriously try making one. It wouldn't be hard to add a battery either....Who am I kidding, if I had money I would try it regardless of the rest just because even if it doesn't look as good. It would still be awesome. :D

Nah, I've got my desktop build how I like it, large and able to be easily opened up and seen :P

i believe it is called intel virtualization technology, only supported on a small range of intel CPU's, but it can be extremely buggy and have awful performance, another option is to use an external HDD/SSD or a large flash drive

i believe it is called intel virtualization technology, only supported on a small range of intel CPU's, but it can be extremely buggy and have awful performance, another option is to use an external HDD/SSD or a large flash drive

Yes that would be what it was called, thank you good sir. :)

Yes that would be what it was called, thank you good sir. :)

I seem to have run into a problem, when trying to boot windows 10 to install on the virtual machine I get an error saying that "VT-x is disabled in bios"..

I have a MSI Z97-G55 SLI, Couldn't really find much on where to locate VT-x in the bios and don't feel like looking for it at this time...