[US Amazon] Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512GB $349.99

Reno2792

First time I am posting anything on this thread. Sorry if it is incorrect.

Amazon has the 850 Pro 512GB for the cheapest I have seen it yet. Amazon

Why must my wallet be pretty much empty???

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So what is the question? Sorry if this is not helping you. And the Person above me, that's an 850 pro like he said, it's not a 840.

I have been researching the 840 pro and 850 pro and can't make a decision. Is the new 3D flash and the 10 year warranty worth the money?

This is the hot deals section...

LOL so sorry, I'm new to linustechtips.com (but have been watching him for a 1 year and half). I used Tom's hardware before this but I'm really enjoying the community on linustechtips.com.

And they don't have the stupid write degradation issues the the EVOs do :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

LOL so sorry, I'm new to linustechtips.com (but have been watching him for a 1 year and half). I used Tom's hardware before this but I'm really enjoying the community on linustechtips.com.

Not a problem. Welcome!

Is this worth it? I have an Intel 530 series with 180GB. I have only ~10GB free, and would like to upgrade. Is it overkill to go with the 850? I am also on a laptop, so power saving is something I am attempting to take into account.

The difference in performance between the 840 PRO, 850 PRO and a regular SSD like the MX100 (won't use the 840 EVO as an example because of speed drops bugs) is there but, is it worth the money?

I would rather have two 512GB MX100 in raid 0 for $420 and get a real difference in speed than spending so much over little difference in performance.

Warranty is always good but you usually won't use the same SSD until it dies. Those things are tested so freaking much, if you have a look at some reviews they say most SSDs with 2~3 years of warranty will work with a daily usage of 10TB before dying. Hell, I use 10TB per year.

This is a friend.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

That is most definitely a friend, thanks! So, would I be stupid going with a 840 evo? There is supposedly going to be a firmware update to fix the slowdown issue, and it is highly ranked throughout almost every review. I mostly use my computer for code, virtual machines, and dual booting into Ubuntu.

That is most definitely a friend, thanks! So, would I be stupid going with a 840 evo? There is supposedly going to be a firmware update to fix the slowdown issue, and it is highly ranked throughout almost every review. I mostly use my computer for code, virtual machines, and dual booting into Ubuntu.

Yeah, I just heard today from a fellow forum member about the firmware update... well, if it fixes the slowdown bug by the time I buy my SSD, then sure, why not get the EVO. If it doesn't, then I'll be getting anything else. Maybe stupid is a strong word, it's more like "I know it's buggy but I believe in them Koreans from Samsung!".

As you have to deal with virtual machines (I feel bad for you) I guess you would benefit from those more expensive and faster SSDs like the 840/850 Pro, MX550 or Intel 730.

Even so, IMO I can find better ways to spend my hard earned money and it's definitely not in SSDs with 10~15% better performance for a 25~35% increase in price. You see, once the data is in the RAM, the SSD goes to bed until it's called again so... it all comes down to whether you have the money or not - I unfortunately don't  B)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

As you have to deal with virtual machines (I feel bad for you) I guess you would benefit from those more expensive and faster SSDs like the 840/850 Pro, MX550 or Intel 730.

Even so, IMO I can find better ways to spend my hard earned money and it's definitely not in SSDs with 10~15% better performance for a 25~35% increase in price. You see, once the data is in the RAM, the SSD goes to bed until it's called again so... it all comes down to whether you have the money or not - I unfortunately don't  B)

Good explanation of why I can't decide yet :) I already have my desktop running an Intel 730 for virtualization, so I might just dual boot with an Evo. Still, this 850 Pro is a pretty good deal nonetheless.