AMD Readying Two New 20nm Cards To Go against Maxwell, 380X Will Take on 980, 390X Will Take on Titan 2 / 980 Ti

CarlosRex

002.jpg

This new information was revealed to journalists in Japan.

AMD has three new graphics cards in the works. The R9 290X successor based on the Bermuda GPU , The R9 380X based on Fiji and the R9 370X based on Treasure Island. And the R9 380X should be released by Feubuary next year if everything goes according to plan.

we should see the R9 390X go head to head with Nvidia’s yet unreleased GTX 980 Ti/Titan 2 based on the GM200 GPU. While the R9 380X should be positioned to go against the GTX 980 and 970. And finally the R9 370X against the GTX 960.

So this is interesting considering we were led to believe that the R9 390X was supposed to compete with the GTX 980 and 970. According to a recent post.
It appears though that AMD is readying the R9 380X for that task and the R9 390X will go against the yet unreleased GTX 980 Ti/ Titan 2 based on the larger GM200 GPU core.
AMD has an ace up their sleeve which is the 20nm manufacturing process. Nvidia decided to skip the process and go to straight to 16nm instead. So it seems AMD will have a monopoly on 20nm and performance/watt will double thanks to the new node without accounting for any new architectural improvements or HBM which are coming with R9 300 series.

Is there any news for them using Tonga or Hawaii architectures in their 300 series?

Finally 20 nm! Can't wait for the next few rounds of nvidia vs AMD, it can only get better. :)

who cares...

Is there any news for them using Tonga or Hawaii architectures in their 300 series?

Tonga. New architecture is Pirate Islands, same as Tonga.

I will hold my bashing until I see what they can do. There is certainly some stiff competition for AMD to deal with.

I really really really hope they dont require the AIO coolers though. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I cannot wait for this card, although sadly February seems really distant...

I will hold my bashing until I see what they can do. There is certainly some stiff competition for AMD to deal with.

I really really really hope they dont require the AIO coolers though. 

Judging from the image, nope. And February is the time when I'll be upgrading so yay.

And 20nm goes a long way with power and heat so lets see if temps are better (not like non-reference Hawaiis were that bad)

While I have plans for a GTX 970 later on, I'm am intrigued. 

Hopefully AMD doesn't do the same thing they did last time and have their partners wait a whole freaking month before non-reference coolers come to market.

Nvidia's 980 and 970 launch has been one of the best launches I've experienced yet.

Damn, same reference cooler. I wonder how long befo-

Winter is coming and AMD is coming up with new heat solutions!

Yay.

Well, that took no time flat.

Winter is coming and AMD is coming up with new heat solutions!

Yay.

Actually since they are 20 nm cards. Don't be suprised when they absolutely destroy maxell in the best and power department.

You can only push architecture so far, smaller Transistors will really step up the game thou.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

So anyone want to explain what company the one on the far left is with it's name written in (what I assume is) Kanji? Also I like how in the picture, all the banners are the same until Sapphire and Asus. I'm honestly very intrigued by this. I'll definately be looking out for what Gigabyte and Sapphire relase since I like their stuff, although if MSI Comes out with a 3xx series Lightning card.......

I love GPU wars, even though I'm only running a 650ti Boost (that I love to death) and don't really intend on upgrading from soon haha

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

Actually since they are 20 nm cards. Don't be suprised when they absolutely destroy maxell in the best and power department.

You can only push architecture so far, smaller Transistors will really step up the game thou.

It actually would be very surprising.........it will also be 28nm. They are not releasing 20nm.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Winters are cold in japan and they dont have good centralized heating or anything so it makes sense amd will release there first.

I hope people know buying 970/980 right now is the worst thing you could do.These cards are just a bit of teasing the real ones will come later on 16/20nm from both nvedea and AMD,those who buy now will hate themselves in a couple months.

Seems like the gpu wars are the last interesting field to look for.No OS wars,no CPU wars no nothing just gpu's.

Edited by deviant88

It actually would be very surprising.........it will also be 28nm. They are not releasing 20nm.

Article says 20nm (but yeah yeah, wccf). And if Q1 2015 is true then 20nm doesn't seem unrealistic. They're already making 20nm SoC's for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the extra time should prepare them for more complex GPUs (the Hawaii GPU already having about 3 times as many transistors as Apple's A8).

So uhmmmm, Nvidia is going straight to 16nm and skipping 20nms?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Article says 20nm (but yeah yeah, wccf). And if Q1 2015 is true then 20nm doesn't seem unrealistic. They're already making 20nm SoC's for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the extra time should prepare them for more complex GPUs (the Hawaii GPU already having about 3 times as many transistors as Apple's A8).

Only time will tell. As long as it is competitive whatever they release. Price wars is all i want.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Winters are cold in japan and they dont have good centralized heating or anything so it makes sense amd will release there first.

I hope people know buying 970/980 right now is the worst thing you could do.These cards are just a bit of teasing the real ones will come later on 16/20nm from both nvedea and AMD,those who buy now will hate themselves in a couple months.

Seems like the gpu wars are the last interesting field to look for.No OS wars,no CPU wars no nothing just gpu's.

I realise this but I have new found freedoms and less responsibilities, it called for a celebration of sorts but I didn't have adequate hardware for my upcoming party so I invested to see what could potentially be upon us in a few months time. Most I've been able to spend on myself at one time ever :)

Purchasing 970 as a placeholder is not a bad idea though. :)

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack