SSD Boot Drive - Does it really make a difference?

Mr_Assault

Hey guys first time posting here and just have a newb question.  Is it worth getting a SSD for $100 or less as a boot device in a new build?  I understand the difference in both SSD and a typical drive and know SSD will be the dominant drive.  I just want some opinions.

Also how do you all use your hybrid environment (if any)?  Do you all save the common used games and programs on the SSD and other data on your standard drive?

This is something I've been keen on yet don't see a benefit at all. 

Dear god yes it does. Right now I have 2 games and my OS and a few programs (MS office, etc) on my 120g SSD. If I had the money I would buy more SSD's right now. HDD is just so slow by comparisson. I have a 1tb HDD as well, I don't even have it installed right now.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yes.

I have never used a hybrid drive.  But I consider a SSD to be a requirement for a computer.  Once you get used to a SSD you can never go back.

My computer boots in about 15 seconds.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Depends on a budget really I would not put it in a 500-600 dollar build but high end, yes.

It get pricy, but SSD should last way longer than mechanical HDD because there are not moving parts + the booting time is bonus :D

Aa far as the hybrid enviroment goes, depends on the size of a SSD and your opinion. Heavily modded Skyrim will load way quicker, game like Battlefield or Call of Duty not so much diffrence, games like that should be on classic HDD imo. 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: An SSD will improve boot times of your operating system and of various programs you may choose to store on it. They are a wonderful addition to any system and when compared to a traditional drive the difference is as clear as night and day.

As it stands in my current main rig I have 2 SSD's one for windows and various programs the other for various loading intensive games like battlefield,sc2,skyrim and league ect.

Hv1gOrX.png

Back when I played Battlefield 3 an SSD was the difference between getting in a game earlier than everyone else and getting the vehicle you wanted.

Honestly after using one I'll never go back.

Main storage is where I dump any bluray rips awaiting transfer to my htpc ect.
 Secondary is a copy of all the games I've downloaded but don't need on an SSD.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Yes.

I have never used a hybrid drive.  But I consider a SSD to be a requirement for a computer.  Once you get used to a SSD you can never go back.

My computer boots in about 15 seconds.

Not to mention every program on it becoming that much snappier.

It's honestly a huge difference if you have a CPU that should be fast as hell.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

short answer: yes
long answer: yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

No question about it, it's the best upgrade you can make.

Compared to upgrading a CPU from 3 years ago, upgrading to SSD system drive from mechanical is a hell of a lot better.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

SSD for windows boot drive and key applications used often.   I may put a game or 2 that i'm currently playing often on the SSD.  for better loading speeds.

HDD for bulk storage like games,music,movies, or apps less often used.

It won't make a huge deal for games but everything in windows will become more responsive to inputs and load times for applications will improve vastly.  especially if you consider your current windows experience slow.

My Combo:

Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB

WD Black 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA III 6.0 GB/s

yeah, but my boot time is about 19 seconds anyways, so if i was to get a SSD it would be for the file transfer speeds, not the start up speeds, although that would also decrease 

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

yeah, but my boot time is about 19 seconds anyways, so if i was to get a SSD it would be for the file transfer speeds, not the start up speeds, although that would also decrease 

It does make Windows and programs snappier, there also won't be as much hiccups.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

I saw a remarkable speed improvement when I went to a SSD boot drive. Not just in boot times but also in program launches, as well as large saves, and opening large files.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

YES an ssd has to be the single most beneficial upgrade you can make to a pc. If make it feel magnitudes faster than when using a normal mechanical drive

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

My computer currently has a pair of hybrid drives in RAID0 and I've just ordered an SSD to install my OS on. If you want I'll keep you posted on how much of a difference it makes. I've never once found my pc to be all that slow but it'd be nice if the SSD would make everything more immediate, you know. Doubt the SSHD's are what's holding it back, but I really wanted to find out.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

YES! Using a computer without an SSD feels annoying after I switched to SSD.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Once you go SSD you never go back.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

My computer currently has a pair of hybrid drives in RAID0 and I've just ordered an SSD to install my OS on. If you want I'll keep you posted on how much of a difference it makes. I've never once found my pc to be all that slow but it'd be nice if the SSD would make everything more immediate, you know. Doubt the SSHD's are what's holding it back, but I really wanted to find out.

I'd appreciate that if you don't mind.  I got just built a rig for around $700 and at the moment and probably will look into upgrading this holiday season.  I just hate moving data and re-installing the OS -.-

Thanks for the response guys and how some of you all got your rigs setup.  I'll look into the upgrade when a deal comes up.  One thing I read online by some newegg reviews and reddit post were to avoid the kingston SSDs  particularly this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107.  Any brands to recommend?  

yes.

i have a 256gb boot drive and key applications/games and a 2T hdd for games i get on steam sales

the difference is real.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

It's like asking what the difference is between having sex with a beautiful woman you're crazy about *SSD* and staring at a wall while stroking a potato and whistling the mary poppins theme song *HDD*  :D

Battle.Net - Dicehunter#2746

Origin - Dicehunter

Steam - Dicehunter

Uplay - Dicehunter

Thanks for the response guys and how some of you all got your rigs setup.  I'll look into the upgrade when a deal comes up.  One thing I read online by some newegg reviews and reddit post were to avoid the kingston SSDs  particularly this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107.  Any brands to recommend?  

I just ordered a Sandisk. Because it was cheap. I don't think it matters much. I don't think Kingston is that bad tbh either, but I have no experience with their SSDs.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Ssd arrived today. Apparently the casing is made of plastic, not metal. Feels surprisingly flimsy. I'd like to install it asap, but I think I'll wait for Kubuntu 14.10 to be ready.

SSD is amazing, I have an early Sata 3 SSD and it boots my computer from power press to login in 20s. With a HDD it would take 35-40s most likely. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I put OS, applications, games, VM on my SSD, some working project on HDD, and the others (documents, music, movies) on my NAS

I have two 256GB Samsung 840 Pro's.

One for C:\Windows, Apps, Documents and a couple of Singleplayer title games on there. (With 256GB to start, plenty left over)

Another 256GB for D:\Games itself (Origin/Steam Games)

Epic Performance.

Had them in Raid 0 at one stage also, just as epic, although I never maximized them with any usage models I use so I de-raided them.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz