Bookshelf speakers under 100 geared towards rap

SanJoseSharks

Hi I'm planning on buying a Lepai T2020a+ amplifier, I want to get a pair of Bookshelf speakers but I don't have enough experience in this topic so I'm not sure what to buy. The speakers NEED to be under 100 dollars and should have a decent bass output but not at the sacrifice of Mids and highs. If what I'm asking for is unrealistic please feel free to suggest a pair of speakers that are good but not necessarily meant for Rap or bass heavy music. If you know any speakers that are good for under 100 let me know. I already know about the Dayton B652 and Pioneer BS22's. Are there any others available? Im willing to buy used.

Thanks for reading, if any more info is required let me know!

Hi I'm planning on buying a Lepai T2020a+ amplifier, I want to get a pair of Bookshelf speakers but I don't have enough experience in this topic so I'm not sure what to buy. The speakers NEED to be under 100 dollars and should have a decent bass output but not at the sacrifice of Mids and highs. If what I'm asking for is unrealistic please feel free to suggest a pair of speakers that are good but not necessarily meant for Rap or bass heavy music. If you know any speakers that are good for under 100 let me know. I already know about the Dayton B652 and Pioneer BS22's. Are there any others available? Im willing to buy used.

Thanks for reading, if any more info is required let me know!

The low power output of your amp may limit you in terms of speaker selection.

A pair of these may be worth a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0045NCB32

These speakers are fairly benign loads and are quite sensitive. They also have some extra LF and HF, which can give a livelier sound to highly compressed mainstream music.

I have tried a fair number of speakers and these are hard to beat for the price, in my opinion.

The low power output of your amp may limit you in terms of speaker selection.

A pair of these may be worth a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0045NCB32

These speakers are fairly benign loads and are quite sensitive. They also have some extra LF and HF, which can give a livelier sound to highly compressed mainstream music.

Thanks for the reply!!!, as for your statement that my amp has lower power output, I am buying a better power adapter that will deliver 6amps instead of 2amps would this help with the power issue?

Thanks for the reply!!!, as for your statement that my amp has lower power output, I am buying a better power adapter that will deliver 6amps instead of 2amps would this help with the power issue?

The extra current capacity will help the amplifier get "stiffer" and deliver better dynamics, as the supplied one is marginal. So yes, it can be a worthwhile upgrade. It's easy to get a power adapter for these things as a universal SMPS would do (never an unregulated power supply). 

Try the amp with the supplied adapter first. If it works for you and you only need a little more oomph, then upgrading the power supply may be a good choice. You can stick with 12V, or try your luck with a 15V laptop adapter (for maximum output from this amp).

However if you really want a big improvement, then a higher voltage amplifier may be what you need. Something like this perhaps:

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Integrated-Tripath-Amplifier/dp/B00F0H8TOC

The extra current capacity will help the amplifier get "stiffer" and deliver better dynamics, as the supplied one is marginal. So yes, it can be a worthwhile upgrade. It's easy to get a power adapter for these things as a universal SMPS would do (never an unregulated power supply). 

Try the amp with the supplied adapter first. If it works for you and you only need a little more oomph, then upgrading the power supply may be a good choice. You can stick with 12V, or try your luck with a 15V laptop adapter (for maximum output from this amp).

However if you really want a big improvement, then a higher voltage amplifier may be what you need. Something like this perhaps:

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Integrated-Tripath-Amplifier/dp/B00F0H8TOC

Can I connect my HTC one to the amplifier that you recommended?

Can I connect my HTC one to the amplifier that you recommended?

You should be able to, but not simultaneously with your computer (unless you add a switch or a mixer).

The speaker link that I gave is for a single speaker, by the way. One needs a pair of that.