MSI Z97-Gaming 7 Realtek HD + Headphones

peterpepo
Go to solution Solved by Verne,

I still consider it as driver bug. I am unable to choose headphones, maybe that would fix the problem.

But in case that no driver would fix this, i would buy dac-amp combo or amp only.

I am not sure, what is better. To use onboard audio + amp only. Or to buy dac+amp combo.

There is no headphones mode. It's not a bug. It only determines how many channels are used, so if you had more than 2 speakers you would have to choose the correct amount. Stereo headphones = Stereo.

Hello,
i am using MSI z97 gaming 7, which according to website should be able to run headphones up to 600 ohms.

Yesterday I bought akg k702 heaphones, which are relative low impedance - 62 ohms, altough very power hungry. Headphones sound amazing, but somehow quiet.

I thought that I could try changing output from speakers to headphones in Realtek HD audio, that it could power up those amps able to run 600ohm heaphones.

The problem is, that i can see only Speakers, Quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1 as my setup. No way of switching to headphones. Also, clicking right button on red jack does nothing, only advanced settings which leads me to sampling frequency settings.

Any tips ?

Edit:

Even after plugging headphones to "HEADPHONE" port, it shows Headphones (Speakers) after settings is at headphones ;( Please help.

post-68660-0-73114300-1412012055.png

post-68660-0-39365900-1412012686.png

Did you plug in the extra power connector (a molex connector near the sound pcb). Should help. You did buy power hungry cans and don't except much more using onboard.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Did you plug in the extra power connector (a molex connector near the sound pcb). Should help. You did buy power hungry cans and don't except much more using onboard.

Yes. I also flicked the switch on motherboard.

Have you tried the front panel jack yet?

Yes

Even Windows shows speakers only.

post-68660-0-61515900-1412013214.png

If after you tried everything, and failed, well, sorry to say, but lesson learned. Those 'power up to 600 ohms headphones' don't mean a thing. Impedance is just 1 part of the equation. Sensitivity/efficiency is the other, and most important one.

I had the Xonar DG with its built-in head-amp that's supposed to power up to 150 ohms of headphones. Well, guess what, it falters badly with my 50 ohms headphone. You said it yourself, your headphone is power hungry, and that's what your onboard seems to lack of, power....

If after you tried everything, and failed, well, sorry to say, but lesson learned. Those 'power up to 600 ohms headphones' don't mean a thing. Impedance is just 1 part of the equation. Sensitivity/efficiency is the other, and most important one.

I had the Xonar DG with its built-in head-amp that's supposed to power up to 150 ohms of headphones. Well, guess what, it falters badly with my 50 ohms headphone. You said it yourself, your headphone is power hungry, and that's what your onboard seems to lack of, power....

I was "affraid" that I will get anwer like this.

But anyway, this seems more like driver issue for me, as I am unable to switch to headphones in realtek. I am suspicious that amp is not powered on.

Btw, the headphones are crystal clear, sounding super up to about 50% volume. Normally i listen at 30%. 50 is bit louder, but still normal. When I go above 75%, it starts to sound a bit distorted.

I will probably end up buying either soundcard or dac / amp. I wanted to try open headphones, i have never had open ones before, and they sounds unbelievable to me :)

Normally i listen at 30%. 50 is bit louder, but still normal. When I go above 75%, it starts to sound a bit distorted.

Yep, that was exactly what Xonar DG did when plugged to my headphone....

I was "affraid" that I will get anwer like this.

But anyway, this seems more like driver issue for me, as I am unable to switch to headphones in realtek. I am suspicious that amp is not powered on.

Btw, the headphones are crystal clear, sounding super up to about 50% volume. Normally i listen at 30%. 50 is bit louder, but still normal. When I go above 75%, it starts to sound a bit distorted.

I will probably end up buying either soundcard or dac / amp. I wanted to try open headphones, i have never had open ones before, and they sounds unbelievable to me :)

If you do decide to get a dac/amp, you don't really need much.  A simple $40 solution in the "Syba dac + amp" will be fine.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-SD-DAC63057/dp/B009WN7QT4

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I still consider it as driver bug. I am unable to choose headphones, maybe that would fix the problem.
But in case that no driver would fix this, i would buy dac-amp combo or amp only.
I am not sure, what is better. To use onboard audio + amp only. Or to buy dac+amp combo.

There is no headphones mode. It's not a bug. It only determines how many channels are used, so if you had more than 2 speakers you would have to choose the correct amount. Stereo headphones = Stereo.

Mmh, thanks for explanation.

I coudln't get to another computer with realtek audio installed.

I will go for DAC / DAC-AMP then. I am still really amazed, how "sound actually sounds" :D And can't believe that I've been using other (cheap) headphones until.

Ok, some z97 gaming7 users here ?
I have noticed, that my mobo manual says that one jack is LINE_IN whereas Realtek HD Audio says that that same jack is headphone.
I have tried to switch to this jack, but haven't noticed some changes. Is it supposed to be different ?

• 9 months later...

Ok, some z97 gaming7 users here ?

I have noticed, that my mobo manual says that one jack is LINE_IN whereas Realtek HD Audio says that that same jack is headphone.

I have tried to switch to this jack, but haven't noticed some changes. Is it supposed to be different ?

on the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard

I managed to solve the problem ! so here is the solution for future use , forget the back panel audio connections they will not work at all for headphones but by using the front headphones and mic panel I have found this works as it should the steps to take are as follows

1.       turn your pc speakers off

2.       turn your pc off

3.       connect headphone and mic to front panel

4.       start your pc

5.       look in device manager you will find configuration for your speakers and also headphones now in default playback devices and also the mic in recording devices

now the pc has recognised this you don’t have to keep turning the speakers off or rebooting it in order for the headphones playback device to show up , now the built in motherboard amp works to

this is no longer the correct answer to the problem 

this is no longer the correct answer to the problem 

You know this thread is a year old..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

You know this thread is a year old..

10 months - and whats that got to do with it , ive been searching for an answer to this even last week until i figured it out