Modding a Case with Thermite?

Zolon

You'll definitely want a dremel on hand with some metal grinding discs and bits for the clean up afterwards. If you don't have a dremel and don't want to buy one and buy the bits, you can always use rasps. In either instance you will need at least two clamps to hold the workpiece onto a flat surface, with the side you are working on hanging slightly over the edge. Then dremel or rasp away. You do want the window to be flush against the metal, right?

What material are you planning on using to make the window? Don't even try working with glass. You need special tools to even think about it. It is also expensive.

You will be at university for a while, right? Will you have access to a laser cutter? You can use one to make a design in plexiglass.

You'll definitely want a dremel on hand with some metal grinding discs and bits for the clean up afterwards. If you don't have a dremel and don't want to buy one and buy the bits, you can always use rasps. In either instance you will need at least two clamps to hold the workpiece onto a flat surface, with the side you are working on hanging slightly over the edge. Then dremel or rasp away. You do want the window to be flush against the metal, right?

What material are you planning on using to make the window? Don't even try working with glass. You need special tools to even think about it. It is also expensive.

You will be at university for a while, right? Will you have access to a laser cutter? You can use one to make a design in plexiglass.

My Parents do have pretty much all tools I would ever need to work with metal.

I plan to use Plexiglas for the window. Most likely a rather flexible type.

Yes, until February/March.

No, I don't have access to one. Chem students wouldn't need one.

wow, this is quite interesting. please make a video when you're doing it  :D

make a hole by welding is safer solution and cleaner look btw. but if you're good at it, then go for it :D

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

My Parents do have pretty much all tools I would ever need to work with metal.

I plan to use Plexiglas for the window. Most likely a rather flexible type.

Yes, until February/March.

No, I don't have access to one. Chem students wouldn't need one.

Do you have any friends with access to a laser cutter?

lol at first this is the one you're talking about and I thought how interesting.

but they the way you guys put it is even more interesting, could you possibly do a video about it? if not like some kind of a build log since I'm very interested in this.post-59105-0-67105100-1414483130.jpg

Live your life like a dream.

Definitely do this,, and definitely do not stick to a roughly square shaped window. Map out your internals and cabling in your head, on paper, or with  a CAD program to get a good idea of what you do and don't want to see, then make an amorphous shape with ragged edges, then the finished product will look like acid... or THERMITE... dripped through.

But..But....But.. Me want big explosion

if you want a big explosion that has a burn pattern similar to thermite go to any electrical supply store and purchase something called cadweld shot i would recommend a 200 shot or larger and dig a small cone shape hole into the ground with a garden shovel. then get a 2-3 inch circular piece of plastic to put into the hole so that it creates a table like surface in the cone shape hole put 2-3 ice cubes below the plastic then pour the cadweld shot ontop of the plastic and tap the cap of the shot to put the small amount of striking powder ontop of the shot then take about 5-8 feet of canon fuse and put one end at the striking powder then ignite and run.

or you could just go to a local industrial supply store and purchase about a pound of metallic sodium and go to your nearest pond or lake and throw it in but be sure to wear latex gloves or else the oils in your skin will ignite the sodium