Modding a Case with Thermite?

Zolon

Protip: take the side panel off the case before you do it. Motherboard trays tend to work best when they're in one piece.

Not so pro tipp:

don't take the side panel of for the most excitement. Also be sure to install all the components before.

Just a thought, if you want a nice square you may need to compensate at the corners (I expect there will be more heat at the corners, thus melting away more material). So take in the corners  a little for a nice square, or just do whatever you want and see what happens. Also you might want to practice on some scrap metal if you can find some.

If you do this, video it and mix in something (I think copper ii might work, not quite sure) to give it some color.

Also, you could get a case with an aluminum side panel and use something extremely alkaline for a good show,

Or, you know, just screaming jelly babie the side panel, but that might be a bit more difficult to prepare/contain...

please film this process it would be so nice to see if it works and get some pictures to.

Well, the question of getting it is pretty easy to answer.

This is getting easy... I won't even have to DIY it... amazon has everything you need in the first 5 search results for Thermite.

1NgAsuM.png

Well, the question of getting it is pretty easy to answer.

This is getting easy... I won't even have to DIY it... amazon has everything you need in the first 5 search results for Thermite.

please do tag me in the post where you do it, as a physics student/lab worker, i want to see it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

please do tag me in the post where you do it, as a physics student/lab worker, i want to see it

Sadly I will most likely not be able to do this for 2 or 3 Months... I have to move soon, and won't be able to do this in a City Centre... But I will do it for sure.

The plus is, I have a lot of time to think about how to do it.

Sadly I will most likely not be able to do this for 2 or 3 Months... I have to move soon, and won't be able to do this in a City Centre... But I will do it for sure.

The plus is, I have a lot of time to think about how to do it.

sure no rush, just seeing it will be great. have you thought about rather than a window, doing some sort of a design (stencil like). somehting like a word, or a picture, then putting brushed acrylic behind it and illuminating it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I guess it will be difficult or plain impossible, to melt something precice into a thin sheet of metal. But I could always try it and make it a windows afterwards.

I guess it will be difficult or plain impossible, to melt something precice into a thin sheet of metal. But I could always try it and make it a windows afterwards.

How about letting it have some kind of 'free form' shape somehow, then putting a sheet of plexi for the window behind it (inside the case). If anyone ever comments that the window shape is weird, tell them the story of it.

That was exactly my plan. Well not free-form, but it would have ended up this way most likely.

Then I will bolt a plexiglass window behind the hole and either paint it, or simply seal it with a clear lacquer, so it doesn't rust.

That was exactly my plan. Well not free-form, but it would have ended up this way most likely.

Then I will bolt a plexiglass window behind the hole and either paint it, or simply seal it with a clear lacquer, so it doesn't rust.

why not just anodize it instead of painting it?

I I had that in mind as well, but spray painting seemed easy-to-use. Especially, since I already have everything I need for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Please make a video

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

being a student scientist all i can think is "hmmm intersting"

edit:

i will warn you(hopefully useless since you already knew) that termite burns through everything and can't be stopped once it's burning since it is basicly a oxidation(reaction where electrons change atoms, as in magnesium being burned) be sure to avoid skin contact etc with thermite since the smallest bit can burn pretty well.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

being a student scientist all i can think is "hmmm intersting"

edit:

i will warn you(hopefully useless since you already knew) that termite burns through everything and can't be stopped once it's burning since it is basicly a oxidation(reaction where electrons change atoms, as in magnesium being burned) be sure to avoid skin contact etc with thermite since the smallest bit can burn pretty well.

Well it does not burn through Titanium :P

I am very well aware of the mechanics behind this (as a chem student I should). Also you can use sand and bricks to stop it.

Well it does not burn through Titanium :P

I am very well aware of the mechanics behind this (as a chem student I should). Also you can use sand and bricks to stop it.

hmhm good, now burn that hole :D

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

As a computer technician, avid computer enthusiast all I want to see is a PC burn

No scientific reasons. 

This sounds like a terrible idea.

I should try it

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

• 2 weeks later...