Modding a Case with Thermite?

Zolon

Why? For the glory of science of course!

My plan was to burn a hole into the side panel of the case to mount a window into it.

I was thinking about this for some time now and it might look good, not being a predictable or cut pattern, or it might look horrible. So yea, what do you guys think about this? The Case I am targeting is an old (1997) ATX case, since it would be no loss if I destroyed it in the process.

PS: I know what I am doing and how dangerous it is. I am studying Chemistry and have done Thermite reactions before.

I know what I am doing and how dangerous it is. I am studying Chemistry and have done Thermite reactions before.

Are you a professional pyrotech? Either way, if you video it, it should be fun. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

That could work... if you pour a little trail in a square-ish shape i bet you can kinda control the cutout. Of course you'd have to pour it on the inside so that the droplets of molten metal form on the outside and give it a cool look.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Why? For the glory of science of course!

My plan was to burn a hole into the side panel of the case to mount a window into it.

I was thinking about this for some time now and it might look good, not being a predictable or cut pattern, or it might look horrible. So yea, what do you guys think about this? The Case I am targeting is an old (1997) ATX case, since it would be no loss if I destroyed it in the process.

PS: I know what I am doing and how dangerous it is. I am studying Chemistry and have done Thermite reactions before.

Why are you using me for case modding.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

(Our lord and savior: GabeN)

Well, I am no pyrotech, but I have worked with Thermite before (quite often actually) . I have an abandoned gravel pit nearby, where I would do this whole thing. You don't need massive amounts of Thermite, if you lay out a thin ring it will burn through the side panel with ease. And I will film it, obviously.

Damn right i can't wait to see this case when your done with it.

This is my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right and is liable to change at any time. I may offend of which I apologize in advance.

Why are you using me for case modding.

Like I said, for the glory of science obviously.

On the serious side, it is fun and could look good. I could achieve something similar wit a hydrogen torch, but I don't have one, nor the materials to build one, while I can get the components of Thermite with ease and for free.

Like I said, for the glory of science obviously.

On the serious side, it is fun and could look good. I could achieve something similar wit a hydrogen torch, but I don't have one, nor the materials to build one, while I can get the components of Thermite with ease and for free.

I'll assume you have a chemistry background and that is why you can get the materials for thermite?

Now the question is if I will be able to get everything in time, since my semester is starting soon, and I live in the City Center during this time. The best place for fiery experiments. Next chance then is in about 4 months or so.

I'll assume you have a chemistry background and that is why you can get the materials for thermite?

Yes, I am studying Chemistry in the 5th semester, and my Father is working as a Chemist. So yea, pretty easy.

Also getting Aluminum and Iron-3-Oxide (part of common rust) is not that difficult.

Yes, I am studying Chemistry in the 5th semester, and my Father is working as a Chemist. So yea, pretty easy.

Also getting Aluminum and Iron-3-Oxide (part of common rust) is not that difficult.

Dude your awesome. You deserve some cookies.

Me want big explosion

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

That's not how this works, that's how any of this works.

But..But....But.. Me want big explosion

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Put ice in the inside of the case and let the thermite burn onto it? :DDDDDDDDD

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

You'd have as much luck using Detchord, and a water jacket.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You'd have as much luck using Detchord, and a water jacket.

Not getting that in Germany...

Not getting that in Germany...

Lol was a joke. How on earth can you get thermite then? You can do a lot more damage with thermite than you can with detchord. Well, at the least you can start a bunch of fires that are nearly impossible to put out and can burn through just about anything.

Lol was a joke. How on earth can you get thermite then? You can do a lot more damage with thermite than you can with detchord. Well, at the least you can start a bunch of fires that are nearly impossible to put out and can burn through just about anything.

Because I am a chemistry student, and because Aluminum and red Iron-oxide are easy to get. If I wanted to, I could mix explosives, but those are not as easy to control.

Because I am a chemistry student, and because Aluminum and red Iron-oxide are easy to get. If I wanted to, I could mix explosives, but those are not as easy to control.

True. Have you considered using some form of acid to cut the case? THAT would be awesome.

Protip: take the side panel off the case before you do it. Motherboard trays tend to work best when they're in one piece.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

True. Have you considered using some form of acid to cut the case? THAT would be awesome.

I could do it, but the disposal is too troublesome, and it is not nearly as spectacular. Acid is actually slow, and the only thing you will see is bubbles most of the time. You could use nitro-hydrochloric acid (aqua regia) (german: Königswasser) for a great effect, but it is more trouble, than it is worth.