Hi Guys,

Don't know if this is the correct sub-forum to post this, but here it goes: 

I'm currently rocking a 4-year old build consisting off:

• MB: Asus M4A89GTD (AM3) with AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ Stock 3.2 Ghz
  • RAM: Kingston 8Gb DDR3 PC3-10700
  • GPU: Sapphire Vapor-x HD5870 1GB
  • Drives: 2x SSD & 2x HDD
  • Power: Cooler Master 520W modular 

Since the introduction of the latest Nvidia cards I'm eyeballing a GTX970 to re-enable me to play the latest games (at hight settings) with only a limited investment cost. But now I'm also wondering if doing this upgrade is a smart idea, knowing that my cpu is quite old already? Wouldn't this create a system that is blocked by the lacking CPU performance? Or will the AMD 955 and the GTX 970 play nice together?

Ps: I'm also counting on the fact that my 520W power supply will be able to keep up with the GTX 970. Feel free to give your input on this one also :)

Thanks!

Hawkeye

I'm kinda scared about the CPU, it will probably limit the GTX 970 down. Rest are fine

Spoiler

The CPU might bottleneck the 970 :(

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.5ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 /

RAM: 16gb 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP / GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti / PSU: Corsair AX850 / OS: Windows 8.1 /

Storage: Boot Drive 128gb Crucial M4 SSD, 1.5TB WD Green / Case: Ultra Defender II White /

Monitors: 2x 23" Acer G235H's / Peripherals: 2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard, 2013 Razer Deathadder Mouse /

Laptop: 17'' HP ENVY Touchsmart M7-J020DX ( i7 4700MQ, 1TB, 8GB Ram )

it seems like it will be bottlenecked 

Would there be a way to asses/measure this before chaning the GPU?

maybe run a game see the cpu usage then see the fps ,go to check the fps at a reviewing site the divide the fps of the 970 with yours and then multiple it with your cpu usage the outcome must be how much cpu power you will need e.g. (90 fps for the 970)/(40 fps (from your system))=2.25 and your cpu usage was an average of 55% so 55*2.25 you will need 123.75% power with is 23.75% more than you can get ,this could indicate how big you bottleneck will be 

(i have never tested this but it seems like it will work)

High chance the CPU will bottleneck the GPU. It might be time to say goodbye and upgrade. AMD still have a lot of good mid range CPU's such as the AMD FX-6300 and the the FX-8320. Both are overclockable and will last you for a long time. 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k @4.2Ghz Cooling: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 120mm MB: MSI Z77A-G45 GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X OC RAM: 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600mhz

Storage 1:Samsung 840 120gb SSD Storage 2: Seagate Barracuda 2Tb HDD PSU:Corsair CX 750W  Case: Corsair Carbide 400R.

The reccomended power limit by Nvidia is usually never reached. I saw a few days ago, some guys were running a 4770k and gtx 780 ti on a 420w psu. I'm sure that you'll have some leg room. As long as you don't drastically increase your GPU and cpu voltages in overclocking you'll be fine.

High chance the CPU will bottleneck the GPU. It might be time to say goodbye and upgrade. AMD still have a lot of good mid range CPU's such as the AMD FX-6300 and the the FX-8320. Both are overclockable and will last you for a long time. 

If i do make the investment to upgrade, I think I'll switch over to intel i5. Now if I only had the extra money lying around :D