Blast from the past - Build log!

zakizdaman

Hey guys I have a wicked old computer case that I have been modding for the last month, and it's coming out great! I have been planning this mod for almost a year now and just had the funds to do so! 

A little bit of backstory;

My father was a computer tech for quite a long time, and still works in the computer industry. He had this portable packet sniffing mobile computer, and when I dug it out of the garage storage I knew what was going to happen to this computer case.

This project still has a lot of work to do, but here's my IMGUR album with descriptions.

SPECS:

MSI Z97 Mini ITX Gaming motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.00ghz (Stock cooler, for now.)
2x Kingston Hyper X Fury 8gb Ram
VisionTek r9 290x
Corsair 600w Modder Modular power supply
Seagate 1tb hard drive
Sandisk 256gb SSD

http://imgur.com/a/PulmF#0

UPDATE: Video card arrived! Running kind of hot and loud, but there's still lots of space!
UPDATE 2: The GTX 970 had to be RMA'd due to constant black flickering at high load, and extremely loud coil whine. It wasn't a big deal, as I returned it for $430 store credit which I used on other stuff, and bought an r9 290x used for $175 - a total steal.

Wasn't there a possibility to replace the screen and keyboard. That would been kickass. :P

Wasn't there a possibility to replace the screen and keyboard. That would been kickass. :P

Yes, I will be stuffing a touch screen inside there. There is a lot of space. I want to keep the original keyboard, it has Cherry MX Blue switches!

OP it looks like a great gaming HTPC though i worry for airflow

Yeah, there are ventilation holes already all over the place, I want to check out water cooling as an option, and install some fans.

Yes, I will be stuffing a touch screen inside there. There is a lot of space. I want to keep the original keyboard, it has Cherry MX Blue switches!

That's pretty sweet, maybe paint the keys so that they don't look so old?

Good luck with this amazing build, subbed :).

That's pretty sweet, maybe paint the keys so that they don't look so old?

Good luck with this amazing build, subbed :).

Well part of the idea of this build is that the outside looks old, and then what's inside is actually a monster. I'm putting the best I possibly can for this form factor inside this machine. Having the old keyboard with the old colors isn't that bad! The only problem is the DIN connector, need to find a converter to PS/2.

I have to admit I went straight to the pictures and when I started looking I thought you was building in a microwave or something. xD Haha nice to see some old ghetto modding.

Thank you and you're welcome,

James (ProbablyAGamer)

• 3 weeks later...

We need moar pictures! More pictures please?

Looks great though.

Hey, I've been kind of away from forums for a while, I'd love to post more pictures. I didn't take very many during the building process. I don't have the funds to finish the build right now, but once I do I will for sure update the thread, however long it will take me to get the necessary funds!